Status: This is my JulNoWriMo piece so updates will be sporadic at best.

The Zombie Reaper

Nine

They had propped Lynuel up against one of the walls to watch today's practice session. Thomas had paired the other four off, Parrish against Marcus and Henry against Grayson. Henry and Grayson were actually rather evenly matched. Marcus wasn't so lucky and Lynuel found himself fighting to hold a straight face as the boy was put on his back over and over again. It was good for him to be so humbled, but he doubted that the other male would ever agree.

“Keep your guard up Marcus,” Father Thomas snapped shaking his head. “How can you expect to ever best the enemy if you continually give them openings in your defenses through which they can defeat you?”

The look of disgust on the boy's face was so evident that Lynuel was surprised Thomas didn't take the boy to task himself. Instead, as he was muttering something particularly vicious about his new instructor, Parrish delivered a blow to his back which knocked him to his knees.

Lynuel chuckled softly, shaking his head. He honestly hoped that he wasn't as arrogant in his fighting as this boy was. He would be rather ashamed of himself if that was the case. A smile still touching his lips, he leaned back and turned his attention to Henry and Parrish who seemed to actually be enjoying their sparring. They were going at each other without holding back, that much was true, but they were actually enjoying it as well.

Thomas had chosen his teams with skill.

Someone joined him on the bench and Lynuel turned to see it was Father Thomas himself. "Brooks told me that you had a visitor last night on the roof," the man said quietly enough that only Lynuel could hear him.

The young man felt a ripple of fear rush through him. "And why would Brooks say something like that?" Lynuel asked looking away. He had thought that no one had seen him going up onto the roof. He had been almost certain that no one could catch Joquay when he wanted to be sneaky which made Lynuel wonder just where Brooks had been hiding.

"You don't have to lie to be about it Lynuel," Thomas said shaking his head. "I'm not about to take you to task with the Council if that is what you think. I actually rather admire the fact that you're allied with a man like Father Joquay. He's rather clever if the times I have heard him speak and the information I have seen gathered on him mean anything."

Lynuel couldn't argue that. Joquay probably was the smartest man he had ever met. He was also a man who loved to laugh and simply wanted everyone to live in peace. If only everyone else could share his view for the world. He was sad to say that the world was not that lucky. Instead, they had men who wanted to see it burn unless their own people could rule it.

"Alright," Lynuel said with a sigh. "I'll admit that Father Joquay might have come to visit me on the roof while I was up there and contemplating this newest world I have discovered myself in."

Thomas nodded in approval. "Is there anything that I should know about that conversation that you had?" he asked arching an eyebrow. "After all, I do not wish to be taken by surprise. I can understand why you would not necessarily want to trust Father Marcio with information you might have on the Nzombiy. I won't tell him."

The younger man blinked in surprise as he turned to his mentor. "Father Thomas?" he asked confused.

Thomas shook his head. "Think nothing of it Lynuel. But if you ever wish to share that conversation you had, simply ask," he said before pushing himself off the bench. Lynuel watched the man move away and focus on the sparring once more.

He was even more confused than he had been before. Why would Father Thomas not trust Father Marcio? The Council had to have chosen him for a good reason. He had to be a man that they could all trust, couldn't he? Otherwise, what was the purpose for choosing him? And yet the first day came back to his mind and the sad, bitterness that had come from the man as he had spoken of things worse than death.

What was worse than death?

Lynuel shook his head and grabbed the cane he had been given for use until his ankle healed fully before pushing himself up. He started to hobble out of the room, glad that none of his companions called out to him as he moved into the hall and down it towards the libraries. He wasn't sure where he was going to go or what he was going to do there, but he needed to think.

His mind was simply abuzz with thoughts that made his head hurt. He had theories that utterly contradicted themselves as to what could be going on. And yet none of them seemed as if they could be right. Nothing made sense. And it was all because they had chosen him of all the acolytes to be on this new team. If he could figure that out than maybe he could figure out what was unnerving him about the whole situation in the first place.

“You look troubled.”

Lynuel turned to see Silence walking towards him, his body still completely covered in the black suit that marked his rank in the order. “Yes, well, my mother always did say that I had trouble hiding my emotions,” he admitted reaching up to rub the back of his neck. “You don't look much of anything.”

There was a twitch in the material where Silence's mouth was and Lynuel could have sworn the man might have smiled for a moment. “Well that is something that can be considered both an advantage and a disadvantage,” Silence admitted with a shrug. “But that is the way of everything in the world,” he pointed out.

Lynuel nodded. Everything had it's advantages and disadvantages. If it didn't, then there would be no point to it. At least, not as far as he could tell. “Honored Father...” Lynuel began slowly. “You and Father Marcio... you both spoke of something worse than death.”

The father seemed to grow into his name as he quieted, his hidden features fading into obscurity. “That is something no one should ever have to face,” the man whispered. “And I pray you never have to learn what it is first hand. There are actually quite a few things that are worse than death,” he admitted. “Sometimes, death seems like it would be preferable. At least than it all ends.”

“My mother always says: where there is life, there is hope.”

“Your mother sounds like a rare woman,” Silence said. “And a wise one. But she has probably had a far more peaceful life. Some of us simply do not have the luxury of thinking that way. Some have to sacrifice so that others can have such ideals.”

Lynuel considered the man's words in silence for a moment. “Are you one of those who has sacrifice?” he asked in a quiet voice.

There was a twitch of the man's lip again before he moved away. “More than you know,” the words seemed like a faint whisper, but Lynuel was certain he had hear them.

His tongue flicked across his lips and he almost let Silence walk away before he called out to him again. “Perhaps... perhaps than as a man with more experience, I could ask you a few questions. If you have the time of course.”

Silence paused for a moment seeming to consider the offer before he nodded slowly. “I can spare the time for a companion,” he agreed. “What is it you have on your mind?”