Status: This is my JulNoWriMo piece so updates will be sporadic at best.

The Zombie Reaper

Fifteen

It was rare for most of the priestly orders to hold press conferences. It was usually reserved for the civilians honestly. But in the case of the Order of Saint George, it was actually not that uncommon. After all, they were a militaristic order and the council usually felt that it was their duty to inform their flock, which included the whole human population, informed on the missions that they could make public.

After the murder of a Nzombiy named David Lombasi, it was decreed that the task force that had been put together would be best considered public knowledge. Lynuel sat in front of the television watching as the room came onto the screen and the council stepped forward onto the stage. He was terrified of what he would hear. It had only been a day since the attack in the park and he was still shaking. He refused to touch his cane. Silence seemed to understand but the others seemed utterly perplexed by his need to avoid the weapon that had taken another man's life.

GrandFather Nicholas stepped forward as he always did and looked around the room with his most benevolent smile. "My children," he called in a calm, but clear voice. "We come before you today to give the world a declaration of truth. We come before you to tell you of the good which our order has been called to do to protect the world. We do it in the humble knowledge that God has called us to this calling and that it is a thankless duty in a world filled with evil." The crowd was silent. Lynuel could imagine that most of them were on the edge of their seats eager to hear what this seemingly important and even amazing secret that the Order of Saint George had been involved in.

Lynuel was sad that they ever had to know at all.

"Last night in Dallas at Lakesford Park, a contingent of our Order were sent in response to a call regarding the newest wave of attacks by rogue Nzombiy. Our purpose in going was to try and subdue the attackers and to discover their motives. However, during the struggle, one of the Nzombiy was killed. We, as a priestly order, do not condone the taking of life. However, we will be taking no disciplinary actions against this acolyte. He did what was necessary to protect himself and his companions. And in that, he has shown the true meaning of what our Order stands for."

The reporters shot up, raising their hands and calling out to GrandFather Nicholas until he selected a young dark-haired man sitting in the third row. "My name is Lucas Gregorivitch of the Times. I'm sure that we all want to know the same thing. Do we get to know the name of this mystery 'Zombie Reaper'?"

"Well now Mr. Gregorivitch, if we told you who it was than it would not be much of a mystery or a secret now would it?" GrandFather Nicholas asked with a benevolent smile. They all knew that there was something else there though. There was something else hiding behind that smile that none of them wanted to cross.

The reporter sat down and more hands came up again, more questions demanding to be answered. GrandFather Nicholas pointed a second time, this time to a slight, freckled woman who stood with a smile. "Elizabeth Treehold of the Channel Six News. With this attack and the fact that the Order has now become involved, does you all, perhaps, wish to at last take a stand on the Nzombiy and their petition in Congress?"

The room fell silent. They were all waiting for the answer to this important question. It was even more important to them than who the kid was who had killed the Nzombiy. This was an answer they had been waiting for for months.

Every reporter sat forward, eyes wide and their breaths bated, eager to hear the response, hoping that it wouldn't be the usual non-answer. After all, GrandFather Nicholas was well known for his ability to avoid answering any and all questions that he deemed either unnecessary or improperly timed.

GrandFather Nicholas sighed and looked up at the room, his eyes going cold and steely as he looked around at them all. "The Order of Saint George was created with a God given mission to protect the human race from any and all threats that might arise. Before now, we have not said anything in regard of the Nzombiy people. The Church itself has agreed that God has created all things including these Nzombiy. But they have clearly fallen away from the intended path. And if any of them threaten the human race, than we shall not hesitate to do whatever we deem necessary to eliminate that threat."