Status: This is my JulNoWriMo piece so updates will be sporadic at best.

The Zombie Reaper

Two

“The first course of action will be to start training,” Father Marcio said pacing the length of the room slowly.

A confused silence descended over the room. “We already do train,” Father Parrish pointed out. “Unless you are suggesting that perhaps we need more?”

The older man made a rude noise. “There are no suggestions in this case. You do need more training,” he insisted. “How many of you have actually been in a mission situation where you have had to fight for your life?”

“Are you saying that we'll honestly have to fight for our lives? Come on! Be serious Father Marcio! From what has happened in the attacks, these things are barely coherent as is. Why should we need to fear them?” Marcus sneered with a laugh.

"Never underestimate your enemy," Lynuel said shaking his head. "Or haven't you learned anything from history? The lowliest stable boy could be even more deadly than the most well trained assassin. It all depends on motivation and will power."

Marcus opened his mouth to speak but Father Marcio cut him off. "Well said," he agreed with a nod. "Lynuel is right Marcus. You can never underestimate anyone you go against. Doing that only gets you killed... or worse."

"What could be worse than death?" Marcus asked clearly confused.

"You would not wish to know...ever," Father Silence whispered.

The seven other men turned to look the man. None of them had actually expected him to speak considering his name and all that it implied and yet he still stood there as if nothing had been said at all. Lynuel frowned. He had never actually thought about the names of the Honored Fathers before. Maybe they were more honorary names than real names. Considering the comment that had just come from the other man, he wouldn't have been surprised.

"The Honored Father is right," Marcio said, his voice sounding a little husky for a moment. "There are some things which you never want to have happen to you. You never want to know such a fate so do not dwell upon it. Simply do what you are told and take in what you have learned. That is the best way to survive.

Marcus was silent for a moment before finally nodding a little reluctantly. The men looked away from the younger male. Lynuel was afraid that Marcus was going to be a problem for all of them. If he continued on at this rate, he was likely to get them all killed and that was the last thing he wanted. He had ever intention of living. And if Marcus was a risk to any of them...

He cut the thought off. He didn't want finish it. He was afraid of what he would find at the end if he did. A shudder ran down his spine as he looked away. "Who will be leading the training?" Father Parrish asked. "We are all at different levels after all and I, myself, was to be named to the medics in a few months. Fighting, while a skill that we all might possess, is certainly not the forte of us all."

Father Marcio nodded in agreement. "That is true," he agreed. "Which is why training shall be held by Father Thomas. I shall watch and help as necessary, but I prefer that he do what must. I shall work with Father Silence and those of you who need the extra work."

Lynuel frowned as he looked at Father Marcio. There was more to the man that met the eye apparently and that made him a little anxious. All the unknown factors had him on edge. It was leading up to something and he had a feeling that he wasn't going to like what it was whenever he figured it out.

"When will we start?" Father Grayson asked. "I, personally, do not care to remain idle."

"Afraid you might become a tool of the devil if you do?" Henry teased trying to lighten the mood of the room.

"That is always a possibility," Father Marcio said gravely. "Never take it lightly. We shall adjourn to eat. Be back in this room in an hour. We shall begin training and strategizing then."

Lynuel bit the inside of his lip hard to keep back a moan. Marcus was not so successful which earned him a sharp look. "Do not take this lightly boy," Marcio snapped. "It would be just as easy to choose another in your place and you should not like to see the fate that would befall you if that does happen," he warned.

Lynuel watched the other man's eyes. There was something there. Some memory that the man likely would never wish to speak about. It made Lynuel want to speak up, but he hesitated. Father Marcio turned and left the room, taking away the opportunity for him to ask which was likely for the best.

There was something that Father Marcio wasn't saying. There was something that had happened before. Honored Father Silence clearly understood what it was and that made Lynuel all the more curious. What was it that the two men knew and were keeping from the others.

Only time would tell.

Lynuel only hoped that whatever it was was not what was making him feel so anxious. He also hoped that whatever it was didn't lead to the fate worse than death that the other two men seemed to fear so much.