Status: Complete.

Like Fire and Ice

Chapter One

I exited the bar and carefully adjusted my purse around my shoulders. A slight flicker of a shadow caught my eyes. I looked over to my left, without moving my head and saw three men, walking right at me. I looked across the street and saw four more, watching me carefully. Pretending I didn't see them, I turned to my right and started down the dark street. The only thing lighting my way was the lights of New York and the lamp posts. I could hear the footsteps behind me start to pick up as I turned a corner. I picked up my own pace and started for the apartment buildings before quickly turning down a darken alleyway. I spun, pulling off my gloves and holding my flaming palms up to the men that ran down the alley after me. they stopped and held up their hands.

"Who are you," I growled, the flames growing brighter.

"Put those down, Fay."

I lowered my hands, the flames going out, "Phil. I should have known."

"It's nice to see you again too, Fay," Phil Coulson smiled stepping into the light.

"What are you doing here, Phil. Last time I saw you I was almost killed by Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton," I sighed.

"We're calling you in."

"No," I said shaking my head. "I won't do it. Call someone else." I turned around to leave but two of the men were standing behind me. I held up my flaming hands, "Move."

"Fay, we need you. Both Bruce and-"

"Don't," I growled, "say his name."

Phil sighed, "Don't you want to see Bruce again?"

"Why would he want to see me? It's my fault he's the way he is," I whispered looking down.

"He's forgiven you, Fay. A long time ago. And I know he wants to see you again," Phil reasoned.

I swallowed before turning back to Phil. "Fine. But I want all my stuff on that boat before I arrive."

"Done," Phil nodded. "Follow me."

Nodding I followed Phil out of the alley way and to a car a few blocks down. "Where are we going?" I asked getting into the sleek black, tinted car.

"I have a stop to make on the way to the airport." Phil said handing me gadget that held the others information.

"No." I said staring at him in disbelief.

"We're already half way there-" Phil tried to reason.

"I said no, Phil. Why are you doing this to me?" I argued back.

"Lets face it, Fay, this is your last time coming back from the dead, basically. As soon as his heart gives, so does yours and then what? No one will be here after you if you don't face the facts and just tell him."

"He's happy," I whispered looking at his photograph on the gadget. "He has her."

Phil shook his head, "They've been really rocky since the last incident in New York. I heard its strictly business now."

"That's not the point," I whispered. "We aren't meant for each other."

"Not according to-"

"To what? Fate?" Phil frowned. "Look, I'll go with you but this doesn't mean I'm going to tell him."

"You'll have to eventually, Fay," Phil sighed.

I huffed but said nothing more. We pulled up to the large building and I groaned inwardly as I got out of the car. "I don't want to do this," I said looking up at the building. Phil said nothing and started walking to the door with the phone to his ear. I followed him up the steps and into the elevator.

"Mr. Stark we need to talk," Phil said into the phone as we made it up to the top floor.

"You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark. Please leave a message." I heard Tony talk over the phone.

"This is urgent," Phil continued.

"Then leave it urgently," Tony said as the elevator doors opened. "Security breach. That's on you," he said from where he and Pepper were sitting around the table.

"Just friends," I hissed at Phil. Phil gave me a look.

"Mr. Stark," Phil addressed.

"Phil! Come in," Pepper smiled getting up.

"We can't stay long," Phil said as he and I walked in.

"Phil? Uh, his first name is agent," Tony said also getting up.

"Hi, I'm Pepper," she said holding her hand for me to take.

"Phoenix," I said shaking it, my eyes flicking to Tony.

"Come on in, we're celebrating," she smiled.

"Which is why they can't stay," Tony smiled.

"We need you to look this over," Phil said handing Tony a similar gadget I had in the car, "As soon as possible."

"I don't like being handed things," Tony frowned.

"I love to be handed things," Pepper said taking it and giving Phil her champagne glass. "So let's trade." She then took Tony's glass away and gave him the gadget. I looked at Tony and caught his eyes for a brief moment. They were deep brown with his spark of arrogance. I felt my heart sputter and I quickly looked away.

"Phoenix, right?" Tony said holding his hand out for mine. I now regretted taking off my gloves. I nodded taking his hand. "I'm Tony." Warmth flew up my arm and into the rest of my body. I quickly pulled away. He gave me a confused look before turning to Phil. "Consulting hours are between eight and five every other Thursday."

"This isn't a consultation," Phil retorted.

"Is this about the Avengers?" Pepper asked. Both Phil and I looked at her. "Which I know nothing about."

"The Avengers Initiative was scraped. And I thought I didn't qualify?" Tony said opening the gadget.

"I didn't know that either," Pepper shook her head.

"Yeah, apparently, I'm volatile, self-obsessed, don't play well with others," Tony replied with an attitude.

"That I did know," smiled Pepper.

"This isn't about personality profiles anymore," Phil replied.

"Whatever," Tony rolled his eyes. "Miss Potts. You got a sec?"

"Half a moment," Pepper said before walking over to Tony. They spoke quietly before Tony threw up the different profiles onto his home screens. They spoke a little bit more before Pepper came back over. "Any chance you two are driving to the airport?"

"Yes, we are," nodded Phil.

"Mind if I tag along?" She smiled.

"No, no. Not at all."

She smiled, "Great, let me just get my bags." She waved at us to follow her down the hallway.

"I'll be down at the car," Phil said disappearing into the closing elevator. I huffed at him and followed Pepper.

"So, I got a glimpse at the profiles Tony's looking at, and I didn't see you," she said grabbing a jacket and her purse.

"Really?" I asked looking at her. She shook her head. "I'm not surprised. Phil probably called me in without Fury's approval. Though, Tony doesn't need to know me anyway," I took one of her bags as she struggled.

"Thanks," she smiled.

"You and Tony? Have you got everything sorted out," I asked curiously.

"You don't have to be discreet about it, Phoenix. Phil told me everything," she smiled. "Tony and I, strictly business partners."

I swallowed, "Everything?"

Pepper looked at me and frowned. "I wont judge you, Phoenix. And don't worry about Tony and I. There's nothing there." I nodded and followed her to the elevator. The ride down was quiet and so was the walk to Phil. She and Phil immediately fell into conversation as I got into the back, grabbing the gadget from the front seat. I sat back and turned mine on as the stowed her bags in the trunk and got in.

Natasha Romanoff

'Tried to kill me.' I thought rolling my eyes. 'Bad list.'

Clint Barton

'Also tried to kill me, but in the end made a different call. Good list.'

Thor Odinson

'Thor Odinson?' I skimmed over the information. 'Unreliable and an Asguardian Prince. Great. Bad list.'

Maria Hill

Nick Fury

Phil Coulson

'All good list.'

Steve Rogers

'Captain America.' I smiled skimming the rest of the information. Most I already knew. 'Good list.'

Bruce Banner

I paused biting my lip. I clicked on his name and saw all the bad things written and video taped of him jump up. I felt the anger rise in me as my hands clenched around the gadget. It started to short circuit and the burst into flames as did my hands.

Pepper screamed from the front as it made a small boom. I quickly put the fire out and threw the gadget on the seat next to me. "Sorry," I mumbled as Phil eyed me through the mirror. We pulled up to the airport and the three of us got out.

"Thank you, so much, Phil," Pepper smiled as he helped her with her bags.

"You're welcome," he smiled.

"It was nice meeting you, Phoenix," she smiled waving as she walked away.

"You too," I mumbled waving back.

"What was that about?" Phil asked crossing his arms.

"What?" I frowned.

"The mini fire in the back seat."

I looked down, "Oh. I was looking at Bruce's profile. Everything you wrote...All the articles and videos. They aren't him."

"I know," sighed Phil. "But we needed to include everything."

"Doesn't seem fair," I mumbled as we walked to our own plane.

"Agent Knight," Phil cleared his throat and I looked up at my name. "I'd like to introduce you to Captain Rogers." Phil gestured to a tall, buff, blond man who was waiting for us on the plan. "Captain Rogers, this is Agent Knight.

"Please, call me Fay," I smiled shaking the Captain's hand.

"Call me, Steve, ma'am. It's nice to meet you." He smiled.

"A gentleman," I smiled. "You are on my good list for sure now."

"Good list?" he asked, confused.

I smirked. "Yes. Good list. One of the very few so take it as an honor."

"I will," he bowed slightly. "Ladies first," he said gesturing for me to enter the plane. I smiled and walking in and plopped down on one of the chairs. I buckled up as did Phil and Steve as we first took off. Afterwards we un-did our seat-belts and relaxed. "What can you tell me about the others?" Steve asked holding up his own gadget.

I sat up, "Well," I clicked on Natasha first. "Tasha Romanoff. Trained assassin. A little intimidating. Reserved. Good fighter." I flicked back and clicked on Hawkeye. "Clint Barton is a great guy. Excellent archer."

"It says he's a bad guy," Steve said pointing out a small status that I had managed to miss earlier.

"Imprisoned by Loki?" I frowned before clicking back out and clicking on the next person. "Antony Stark. Asshole. Self-obsessed. Doesn't play well with others," I sighed clicking back out.

"You talk from experience?" asked Steve.

I eyed him. "No. Long story. Explanations will have to wait." I swallowed and clicked on Banner's information.

"We're about forty minutes out from home base, sir," spoke one of the pilots. I looked up and noticed that the sun had come up. I sighed and looked at Phil as he got up.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the same serum used on me?" asked Steve.

"A lot of people were," I nodded looking at the clueless Steve.

"You were the world's first superhero," continued Phil. I could hear the proud-ness in his voice. "Banner thought gamma radiation was the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

"Didn't really go his way, did it?" sighed Steve.

"Not so much," Phil agreed. "When he's not that thing, though, the guys like a Stephen Hawking." Steve looked up at Phil, clueless.

"He's like a really smart guy," I amended for him.

"Oh," Steve frowned looking down again.

"I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you. Officially," Phil smiled like a six year old meeting his favorite superhero. "I sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping."

My eyes widened as I looked down, "Twi-creepy," I muttered getting up with Steve.

"I mean, I was-I was present while you were unconscious from the ice," Phil babbled following us to the front. "You know, it's really interesting. Just a-just a huge opportunity to have you on board."

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job," sighed Steve.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh," Phil smiled. "We made some modifications to the uniform. Yours too, Phoenix. I had a little design input."

"The uniform?" Steve asked. "Aren't the stars and strips a little...old fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening, things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned." Phil smiled before turning back to his computer.

Steve then turned to me, "I never did ask how S.H.E.I.L.D. found you..."

"Um," I swallowed returning to my seat. Steve remained standing but moved over to me. "Agent Romanoff and Agent Barton were actually sent to kill me." I paused. "S.H.E.I.L.D. had never heard of my kind before and when I accidentally got mad and burnt down a whole town in Ireland...Well, I was in trouble." I bit my lip, "I'm a guardian Phoenix. Yes, my mother wasn't a master thinker when it came to names. But anyway. I have a horrible temper and that's what got me hooked up in S.H.E.I.L.D. But when Barton and Romanoff finally found me, Barton heard my plea and called of the mission. Instead he brought me back to America." I shrugged, "And I've been a pet of S.H.E.I.L.D. ever since."

"Buckle up, we'll be landing soon," spoke the pilot.

Steve took his seat and we buckled up for the landing. Once the aircraft had stopped moving we got back up and headed out onto the busy deck. The sun burnt my eyes as it shimmered off the metal of the boat.

"Agent Romanoff, this is Captain Rogers, and Agent Knight," Phil introduced, pulling my attention away from another landing aircraft. I looked to Tasha whose eyes flickered with distaste as she examined me.

"Take a picture, Romanoff, it'll last longer," I hissed.

"I have one. On my hit list," she snapped back.

"Ma'am," Steve nodded awkwardly.

"Hi," she said thickly. "We need you on the bridge for starting the face trace," she said to Phil.

"See you there," he nodded to us. "Play nice," he hissed to me.

Glaring I followed after Steve and Tasha. "You're quite the buzz around here. About finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?" She smirked to Steve.

"Trading cards?" smiled Steve.

"They're vintage. He's very proud."

I fell back, stepping behind one of the planes as they walked up to Dr. Bruce Banner. I looked down, biting my lip as they spoke. "Dr. Banner," Steve said taking his hand.

"Uh. Yeah, hi. They told me you'd be coming," Bruce said in his normal awkward voice. I smiled a bit.

"Word is you can find the cube," Steve continued.

Bruce looked around, "Is that the only word of me?" He asked, gently biting his lip.

"The only one I care about," Steve said proudly. The two men then started to walk towards the edge of the ship. I slipped back out into the open and jumped in step with Tasha.

"I don't hold a grudge against you," she spoke quickly. "I was only surprised you were here," she looked at me, her short hair bouncing around her face.

I eyed her, "Neither do I. And I don't even think Fury knows I'm here."

She smirked, "He'll be in for a rude awakening."

I smirked back, "Blame it all on Phil. He's the one that brought me here." I looked at Bruce and bit my lip. "You think he remembers me?"

She shrugged, "You won't know till you ask." She then placed a finger in her ear and stepped back. I saw the little black ear piece that she was listening to. "Gentlemen," she called and I quickly stepped behind her as the turned around. "You may wanna step inside a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breath." Alarms began to sound.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asked in awe as men began to run around the boat.

"Really," scoffed Bruce. "They want me in a submerged pressurized metal container?" I smiled as the boat began to shake and lift upward. "No, no. This is much worse," he shouted over the sounds of the spinning rotors.

"I never took you to be one whose afraid of heights, Dr. Banner," I called stepping out from behind Tasha. Bruce jumped at the sight of me and slipped off the edge of the boat. I huffed, pulling off my jacket and running to the edge of the boat. I jumped off and dove for Bruce. I grabbed a hold of his hand and sent a wave a calm through us before I felt the tattooed wings on my back come to life and break out into large red wings. I stopped us just before we touched the water. "Doing okay, Dr. Banner," I smiled at him as he looked up at me, fear flicking across his face. I then pulled him up to my chest and with one flap of my wings we went soaring upwards. I set him onto the boat first before I landed and let my wings retract back into my skin. I looked at my little vile of red stones and saw a few were missing from the magic I had used to keep Bruce calm. I looked up. "Sorry," I said with a sigh. "I didn't think my appearance was that frightening."

Bruce swallowed, "No, no. You...uh...I didn't expect you to be here, that's all." I smiled at Bruce as I saw the trust in his eyes.

"It's nice to see you again too, Bruce," I smiled as I snatched my jacket from the surprised looking Steve. "You owe me a new shirt, Dr. Banner," I called walking off towards the bridge. I waited by the door and Tasha came up first, sliding me a smirk before she opened the door and led the boys in. I walked in behind them, pulling my jacket on.

We walked into the bridge of the ship and I saw Fury standing at the controls, observing the others as the ship lifted higher and higher. "Gentlemen," Fury said spinning around looking to Bruce and Steve. His eyes paused on me. I could almost see him telling me that we would talk later. His gaze broke as Steve handed him a ten dollar bill. Fury shrugged with a smirk before walking over to skittish looking Bruce.

"Doctor. Thank you for coming," he smiled shaking Bruce's hand.

"Thanks for asking nicely," he responded. "So, um. How long am I staying?"

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the wind," Fury nodded.

"Where are you with that?"

Fury nodded to Phil. "We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cell phones, laptops. If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us." Phil smiled.

"Still not gonna find them in time," Tasha spoke. up.

"You have to narrow your field," agreed Bruce. "How many spectrometers do you have access to?"

"How many are there," Fury retorted crossing his arms.

"Call every lab you know," Bruce said removing his jacket. "Tell them to put the spectrometers on the roof and calibrate them for gamma rays. I'll rough up a tracking algorithm based on a cluster recognition. At least it could rule out a few places." He folded his coat over his arm. "You have some where for me to work?"

"Agent Romanoff, show Dr. Banner to his laboratory, please," said Fury.

"You're gonna love it, Doc. We've got all the toys," Tasha smirked as she led Bruce away.

Once they were gone, Fury turned to me with the look of when a parent is angry with their child. "Don't give me that face," I said wiggling a finger at him. "I was just doing as I was told. Phil and his buddies are the ones that ganged raped me in an alleyway." Steve's eyes widened and looked at Phil. "Figuratively speaking, Steve. Don't get your gentleman panties in a bunch," I giggled sitting down.

Fury rubbed his head and sighed. "I can't decide if you being here will be helpful or a hindrance."

"She is a guardian of two of the people here," Phil put in.

"That she is," nodded Fury. He looked at me and I raised an eyebrow in response. "Fine. You can stay. But no accidents," he warned. "Or I'll throw you off myself."

"Sir, yes, sir," I saluted him standing up.

"Don't do that," Fury said shaking his head and turning back to the front of the controls.

"As you wish, Agent Fury," I smirked, bowing. "Phil, will you show me to my room please." I asked sweetly.

"This way," he said rolling his eyes.

"Am I to expect all my things to be accounted for?" I smirked following Phil down the hallway.

"Yes, of course," Phil said stopping next to a sliding door. "Here you are."

"Thanks," I smiled. "Where's Bruce's lab from here?"

"Down the hall and to the right." He smiled. "I'll talk with you later, Fay."

"See ya," I smiled opening the door and stepping into my room. I smiled at the sight that everything was set up the way it was at home. Small twin bed with a bedside table and lamp. Beads covering the door as I entered and a desk off to my left. A dresser of to my right. A rod was hung on the opposite wall holding all my closet clothes. My guitar was placed next to another door, that I assumed was a small bathroom. I smiled grabbing a shirt from the dresser and pulling it on. I left the room, leaving my jacket and purse behind and went to find Bruce. I saw Bruce in the widows in front of his lab. And all the way through the back were windows that showed the back of the ship. The level our rooms were on must have been one of the lower ones because you could see out through to the back of the ship but the runways stretched back into view. I walked around to the right and over to the door. Bruce was setting up another laptop as I knocked on the door frame.

Bruce glanced up from the computer, "Oh, um. Hi."

"Hey," I whispered with a slight smile. I looked around the room. "They do have all the toys don't they?"

"Uh, yeah," Bruce smiled as well. "Very expensive toys."

I shifted off the door frame and walked into the room. "So, how have you been?"

Bruce chuckled and looked up, "Shouldn't you know? Aren't you suppose to be my guardian?" I shifted, nodding. "I heard you had a little incident on your way here."

I blushed looking down, "You heard about that?"

Bruce nodded. "I took a look at what you were last looking at. Did the sight of me anger you so much?" He smirked.

"No!" I gasped. "No. The things they put on there were-"

"The truth?" he finished for me.

"Not you," I shook my head. "All they put were the bad things, Bruce. Nothing about you helping other people over in India."

"Because the only reason why I'm here or even considered to be here is because of...the other guy," Bruce shook his head.

"No. You're here because of me," I whispered.

"Fay-" He began.

"How can you stand to even look at me, Bruce?" I asked, my head whipping toward him, my hair smacking against my face. "You should be mad at me." I shook my head. "You should hate me."

"I don't hate you, Fay," Bruce said stepping around the desk and grasping my shoulders. "The past is the past." He reasoned. "I don't hate you and I'm not mad at you."

I smiled and hugged him, "Thanks, Bruce." He awkwardly patted my back. I yawned and Bruce's chest rumbled under my cheek.

"You should head to bed. You look beat." He smiled as I pulled away.

I nodded. "I'll come by later, see how you're doing," I said walking to the door.

"Sure, sure," he nodded going back to his computer.

I returned to my room and relaxed onto the bed. Not a few moments later, I was fast asleep.