If I Knew Who You Were

Eavesdrop

I stirred from my sleep at the sound of a door closing downstairs; pretty damn loudly may I add. I shuffled around slightly, and rubbed at my eyes, looking over to the left where my brother should have been sleeping. In actuality, he wasn’t there, but it didn’t worry me. I shouldn’t need to know where he is every second of the day.

I stood from the bed and walked out of Mikey's bedroom, not caring who saw me walking around in my PJ's, which were actually just a pair of plaid trousers and an over sized band t-shirt. I made my way down the stairs and was about to walk into the kitchen when I heard raised voices coming from the workers rooms.

Curiosity got the better of me as I walked across the front hall where the doorway was. I opened it carefully, starting down the stairs, and noticing how empty it was down there.

Don’t you hate it when your imagination gets the better of you? In an eerie silence you have the opportunity to conjure up the most hideous and terrifying images in your mind, for example right now I was picturing turning the corner to see a bloody mass of limbs of all the workers, because normally there was something going on down here. I could still hear the voices, but they’d been lowered considerably.

I walked towards the room where I could hear the voices and raised my eyebrow. Why would there be two male voices coming from Linda’s room?

I stood outside the door which was already open a crack, and listened in on the yelling.

“You have fucked it all up!” A voice hissed, it sounded slightly like—

“Matt, come off it. You really think I’m that stupid?” And that was Frank?

“Actually, yes I did. You’re even more stupid for doing what you did though,”

“Doing what?!”

“You’ve been hinting to him,”

“And how would you know that?”

“Because he came to talk to me yesterday and he sounded suspicious,”

“Suspicious about what,”

“Don’t play dumb, asshole. You know what. Why’ve you told him?”

“I didn’t. All he knows is that there’s something that I can’t tell him,”
My ears pricked up at that.

“Why did you even tell him that much,”

“Because he can read people like a fuckin’ book. He knows when you’re lying to him, or when you’re hiding something, so if it wasn’t for me telling him that there was something he didn’t know, he’d just stress over it,”

“So let him stress! Why do you care so much?”

“Because what you’re doing is wrong! For some reason, he actually seems to trust you, and I can’t let you and Dad fuck that up!”

“It’s not your place to control what Dad does. I’m more of his son than you are, he didn’t even want you!”

Okay people...this is the part where you pick your jaws up off of the floor, dust it off a bit, and connect it back to your head, like I’m finding I have to do.

“You think I don’t know that?!”

“He only wanted you to be a part of his life again when he found out the people you know,”

“Person,”

“No, people. He means the whole family. I bet if he’d have known that your whorish mother would grovel up in here, he might have stayed with her, would have made a fortune,”
I heard a loud thumping sound of skin on skin before hearing a slight groan.

“You don’t know shit about my mother, so it’s not your place to say anything like that,” I heard Frank growl before the door swing open and I was face to face with him.

I’m sure it was much like we were both looking into a mirror, both pulling the exact same shocked expression, mouths gaping and eyes wide.

“Gerard-”

“Wh-What’s going on?”

“How much did you hear?”

“I think I heard enough,” I said, shock filling my veins as I stepped away from the door way until I reached a wall, leaning on it until I decided that even a combination of my feet and the wall couldn’t hold me up, choosing instead to slide down to the floor where I pulled my knees up to my chest.

Frank crouched down in front of me, a sympathetic look gracing his features. He reached his hand out towards my cheek, but I jolted away. “Don’t touch me,” I hissed firmly. “What’s going on?” I asked, looking from Frank who was kneeling in front of me to Matt who was standing in the door way watching us both while nursing a newly bruised cheek.

Frank looked over at Matt who shrugged slightly, an almost worried expression on his face before looking over at me.

“Come in here,” Frank said helping me up and sitting me on the bed before sitting on his mums bed, opposite me. “Here’s what happened...”
♠ ♠ ♠
You may be thinking "Why oh why did you put a cliffhanger there. We understand now!" but alas lovely reader. There's one last thing.
It shall prove a lot of you wrong. I've been reading your comments, grinning triumphantly :D

Leave me lots of comments, there's only about three more chapters left, so make it count?

EDIT: I forgot. I've written a one-shot that I'm rather proud of. Give it a read and maybe a comment? The Cliff Edge