We Got Older But We're Still Young

I've been reading too much

Living here, in this world, wasn’t as perfect as I once imagined it to be. When I was younger, I had it all.
I had loving parents, an older sister to look up to, I could be whoever I wanted and my future was not set it stone… but most of all I had hope.

It’s been 6 years since the accident and nothing’s been the same since then. One stupid drunk driver was all it took to take the lives of my parents… and destroy the lives of their children.

My sister Leda was never the same after it happened. She was 18 and was put as my legal guardian, not that she was ever around to look after me.
Leda took comfort in alcohol and drugs… anything to make her forget.

Me on the other hand, kept busy. The 11 year old me thought that maybe if I had other things on my mind…My parents wouldn’t be on it. Years of being distracting made it easier to forget. Even now…I ensure that I don’t have a spare moment to feel sorry for myself.

My hobbies became my obsessions, School became my life, 1 job turned into 3.
This wasn’t a perfect life. This was far from it.

---

My alarm screeched from the table beside me. I sat up slowly, tying up my long ginger hair looking over at the clock. 5 am.
Stretching, I walked over to the door to start my morning routine. The same routine I have done for the last 6 years.
Get Leda her pain killers, do the laundry, make breakfast, do the dishes, get ready for school and then run for the bus.
Same things every day, not that I ever minded, I was busy…Just the way I liked it.

I step onto the school bus, blowing my fringe out of my face as the driver gave me a bored look. I made my way to the back, past all of the younger students to find my best friend.
Sara and I were the only seniors who took the bus, every other senior we knew drove to school.
We both had our driver’s licences, unfortunately the only issue for us was not having a car, So we unwillingly took the bus.

“Morning Freddi” Sara mumbled resting her head against the window. I hummed in response as I sat down. Sara was the type of girl you see in the movies. She had long blond hair and bright blue eyes, There was not a single boy at our school who wouldn’t kill for a second of her attention. Unluckily for them, she was not interested as she had been with the same boy for 2 years and I didn't think I would ever see them split up.

“Get your new timetable?” She asked moving her blue eyes to match my green ones.
“Yeah, let me see yours” I said taking Sara’s from her hands. My eyes scanned both our timetables twice before I opened my mouth. “We have every class besides English and History together” I stated. Sara nodded her head uninterested as she took back her timetable.
“Wake me up when we get there” She muttered putting her head back against the window.

---

“I’ll catch you at Lunch Freddi!” Sara called from down the hallway. I lifted my pale hand in response and opened the wooden door to my English class. My eyes moved around the room in search of an empty seat.
The first seat I saw was next to Joanne Croakes. We had known each other since the start of high school. Joanne would have been a great friend of mine if it wasn’t for the fact that she does not stop talking about her boyfriend. You can’t even get in a word without hearing about Brad. I really couldn’t take that today.
I quickly moved to the only other occupied seat avoiding eye contact from everyone. As soon as I sat down in my seat, the thought of hearing about what Brad did on the weekend no longer seemed so bad.
“Hey Freddi” a voice said from beside me. I could hear the sleaze in his voice. I lifted my head turning towards the voice. Jaime Preciado. There he was staring at me with one raised eyebrow.
No one annoyed me more than him. I could never pin point exactly what it was that made me hate him so much. Maybe it was the way he acted like a 12 year old boy, pulling ridiculous pranks or maybe it was his stupid hair that stuck out all over the place... or the fact that he cracked horribly bad jokes almost every time the teacher spoke… or maybe it was his laugh… his loud stupid laugh.
I moved my gaze back to the front of the classroom ignoring his greeting completely.
“Somebody is having a bad day” He mumbled under his breath before the teacher walked in.
I could already tell it was going to be a long year.

---

The rest of the school day flew by as soon as I had gotten far away from Jaime. It wasn’t long until I was standing at the front door to 1 of my 3 jobs. This job was the only one I enjoyed… The only one I did for free.

I entered the double doors with the words 'Hospital' printed above, letting my eyes adjust to the fluorescent lights on the ceilin. Walking over to the front desk, I placed my bag behind the shelf.

As much as this place was filled with bad memories and horrible endings, it was also filled with hopefulness and new beginnings and that’s the part of this job that keeps me coming back.

“Hi Freddi, They’ve been missing you.” The secretary smiled up at me.
“Not as much as I’ve missed them” I beamed.

I moved past room after room until I passed a sign reading ‘Children’s Ward’. Pushing lightly on the metal door I walked into the first room.

“Freddi, is that you?” A sweet voice called. I walked over to the bed sitting down beside it.
“Yes Sweetie, it’s me. How are you holding up?” I asked looking over her chart curiously.
“I’m good now you’re here.” She said as her eyes glanced around tiredly. I couldn’t stand seeing Delilah so sick especially at the age of 7, no one that young should have to spend so much time in the hospital.
“Have you seen any of the other kids yet? They miss you just as much as me.” She whispered.
“Delilah, you know I always visit you first.” I said truthfully, reaching into my pocket. I pulled out a pack of cards placing them before her. The look on her face brightened as soon as she focused on the object.
“You got them! Now I can finally learn to be a really magician!” Delilah exclaimed reaching for the cards making me laugh.
“I’ll come see you before I leave, I’m just going to go see the other kids” I said leaning over to kiss her forehead.
I glanced back before I left the room, despite her head lacking any hair and the sickly pale colour of her skin, she was still an innocent little girl and there was something about her that stood out from the other children. Something about her gave me the need to help her live.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I'm easing Jaime into this story. This isnt going to be one of those 'they meet, the fall in love instantly' type stories.

There will be much more Jaime though! Promise!

Subscribing and commenting to give me some feedback would be much appreciated :)!

Hope you all enjoy it <3!