‹ Prequel: Sweet Illusions
Status: done! thanks for reading!

Call It Karma

when forever doesn't seem long enough.

“Well?” John asked, after what had seemed like an eternity in his mind, Elliot bit her lip. The thoughts were flooding her mind and she couldn’t even organize a clear sentence in her mind. After all, it seemed like she was five-years-old watching her father’s packed up SUV pull out of the driveway, Elliot clutching her little pink backpack with clothes thrown in.

“Papa, I want to go with you! I want- I want to go with you,” Elliot kept trying to get into the car, but her father’s strong hand kept peeling it away and her eyes began to water. She already knew that she couldn’t go with him, that nothing would ever be the same, but she didn’t want to believe it. Finally, her father sighed loudly and kneeled down to look into her eyes,

“Ma Cherie, your mama and I … we just don’t love each other anymore. I love you, never forget that,” His voice was soft, yet distant at the same time. Elliot’s tiny hand was tightening around the handle as tears streamed out of her eyes. She stared at him, he seemed so tall, but her mind couldn’t wrap around it.

“John, I-” Elliot began looking up at him until she stopped herself. He saw the fear in her eyes, sheer and absolute terror. His worry and nervousness immediately dissipated as he realized why she had been so quiet. This was a side he had never seen before, perhaps a glint of it the night before she left. The night before she went away. He wrapped her into his arms tightly and realized that no one else was watching them, there were no unwanted eyes on them. He grabbed her arm and pulled them to the front yard where everyone else definitely couldn’t watch this private conversation.

Once they were on the other side of the fence, all the noise died away and a painful silence overcame her. She looked up at him and realized that he was everything to her and that absolutely scared the bejeesus out of her. She bit her lip and inhaled sharply and took the plunge. When they were together both of them had messed things up, but Elliot felt something new. A courage and faith in herself and them; this was the only thing she wanted.

“John, I love you,” Elliot whispered softly, almost afraid of the words. As if they uttering them would cast a spell revealing terrible consequences. Instead, John’s lips curled into a smile and he leaned down to kiss her. She wrapped her arms around his neck tightly and kissed him back, then she held him tighter than she had held onto anything else in her life. He held on to her, chuckling softly as he pulled away to look at her with fond eyes.

“I think I always loved you,” John whispered, leaning close as if this was just their little secret that no one else in the entire world would know. Elliot blushed as she looked down for a moment only to have her chin brought up by John’s hand. “I just can’t explain into words, how much I-” He began before getting cut off by Elliot softly kissing his lips. They both felt it; the feeling that people have written sonnets, novels and songs about, yet it remains inexplicable until one feels it. It was more than a physical response or an emotional want, it was something omnipresent, like the universe paired them together and nothing had felt so right.

“They’re kissing!” Someone whispered drunkenly, and probably louder than they meant to say, but both Elliot and John looked over to see Jared’s eyes and a puff of red hair peaking over the fence separating them. His eyes grew wide as he realized they could see them, “Scatter!” He whispered, immediately dropping out of sight. Elliot let out a small laugh and intertwined her fingers with John, smiling up at him.

He reciprocated the smile, both of them coming to an understanding that they were both in this for the long run. He guided her into the backyard where everyone was attempting to look around and act nonchalant. Elliot even heard Jared whistling, looking up at the sky with his arms behind his back and she let out a laugh. Finally the awkward moment was ended when Max started a slow clap, with a small smirk on his lips.

Everyone started joining in before they sped up and started laughing, Dahlia smiled, holding up a phone to Elliot, Elliot furrowed her brow and took the phone, “Hello?”

“Oh my goodness! This is so great! I was right and you were wrong, but that’s not important right now! I love you so much!” Madison’s still slightly drunk voice poured excitedly through the phone. Elliot laughed harder than she had ever laughed before.

“Why does everyone care so much about John and I?” Elliot finally asked once she could stifle the laughter enough to form words. The crowd still seemed to be silent, looking amongst each other wondering why they cared. Madison chuckled condescendingly, Elliot could envision her best friend shaking her little head.

“Because, you two love each other. Everyone wants to see the two kids who actually love each other work it out,” Madison explained, her voice was still kind despite being patronizing. Elliot’s eyes widened as she bit her lip to fight back tears, something about the fact their friends cared about each other so much.

“Well, cross your fingers for us,” Elliot whispered, wanting some privacy as she revealed something she wanted so deeply. John wrapped his arm around her waist and she cleared her throat. “I’m glad you’re up to date, say hi to David and Mom for me,” Elliot wrapped up quickly as Dahlia shifted awkwardly, still smiling.

“I love you, okay? I’m so happy for you,” Madison slurred slightly before hanging up the phone quickly. Elliot smiled and handed the phone back to Dahlia, they all stood around awkwardly, waiting for someone to say something.

“Margaritas for the happy couple!” Someone called out from the crowd and drunken cheers erupted from the crowd. Elliot clapped her hands and started walking towards the bar outside, but John pulled her back towards him and pressed his lips to hers again. Elliot blushed and felt her face grow sore from the giant smile on her lips. Elliot was about to tell him how happy she was, but before she could speak someone tugged on her hand.

“Come on, you have to be initiated into the club now that you’re with Johnny here,” Halvo tugged on her hand with a roguish grin on his lips. Elliot’s eyes widened with fear, wondering what the initiation entailed. She looked over her shoulder to see John laughing, tilting his head back slightly and she relaxed. Elliot knew that it would probably be stupid, but harmless.

“Okay, here is your Forty of Miller and ready, set, go!” Eric explained while putting a giant, forty-ounce bottle in her hand and grabbing one for himself, he tapped the top of the bottleneck with the bottom of his bottle causing the beer to overflow.

“Shit!” Elliot cursed quickly before bringing the bottle to her lip and felt the foam nearly suffocate her as she chugged at least half of it before bringing it down. Her eyes were watering as she frowned at Halvo.

“No, no, no. You have to chug all of it Elliot,” Halvo smiled smugly before taking a cool sip of his own beer. Elliot sighed looking over to the faces that had become friends over the past few weeks, all of them nodded officially. She shrugged before tipping the bottle back and chugging the rest until her stomach felt like it would explode, or she was going to throw up.

“Holy shit,” Elliot gasped once she had finished. Then she burped louder than she had ever burped in her life and her stomach felt relieved in a sense. If Elliot wasn’t drunk before then, she was drunk now. The boys that circled her, cheered before random hugs were given. She looked over at John and had to remind herself that something enlightening and beautiful had happened right before her frat boy experience.

“I definitely love you,” John smirked, kissing her cheek and taking the empty forty ounce bottle. Elliot felt sick from all the foam, but she rested her head on his chest and felt better. He stabilized her and brightened her life, even the fear of commitment she had as long as she could remember had dissipated.

“I definitely love you, too,” Elliot replied, looking up and smiling. Elliot had forgotten there were other people in the world, forgotten that four years ago they had left each other in shambles, forgotten that there was sadness or hurt. She was completely content in that moment.

-------------------------------------------

Three Years Later

“Does this look okay?” John asked his best friend, straightening the black tie underneath his black suit and white oxford shirt. John felt his palms clammier than they had ever been in his whole life. He turned to see Jared standing in a similar black suit, but with a sea-foam tie.

“Relax, dude, you look fine,” Jared smiled slapping the back of his best friend. There was knock on the white door behind them, both of them turning around. Madison poked her head in, her blonde hair in a loose up-do. The smile on her lips offered a comfort to John, at least he knew that things were going well on the bride’s side.

“Someone wants to see you,” Madison sang, but before she could even orchestrate a surprise a little boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes can running in giggling as Kennedy came running after him, trying to put the magnetic bow tie on his son. John swooped Eric up into his arms, causing him to laugh loudly.

“Uncle Johnny! The tie monster is trying to kill me!” He giggled as he writhed in John’s grip. John smiled passing the three-year-old over to his father who finally managed to put the white bow tie on him.

“Eric, make sure you don’t lose these. They’re very important,” John passed a small velvet box into him, kneeling as Eric’s eyes widened as he nodded intently. Madison smiled, ruffling his hair and sat on the arm of a chair.

“You nervous, buddy?” Kennedy asked, slapping John’s back with a fond smile on his lips. John nodded slightly, though he was confident in getting married, he was still nervous.

“Hey, Maddie, the bride wants to see you,” Gabrielle stuck her head through the open door. Both Madison and Gabrielle were wearing sea foam floor length dresses, with strapless, sweetheart necklines. Madison smiled, standing up and kissing Kennedy and Eric’s cheek before she walked out of the room, giving John one last reassuring smile.

Both Madison and Gabrielle walked through the door and smiled as Elliot turned around, her long brown hair curled loosely. Half of it was up, clipped to a long veil and her long white a-line dress made her look like she had hopped out of a fairy tale. Sophie was twirling in her light pink tulle dress, her hair curled with a headband of small roses. Elliot blushed and grabbed her bouquet of peonies and inhaled sharply.

“So how’s John, is he freaking out? Does he seem okay?” Elliot asked, her voice was slightly panicked but she had anxieties about the wedding. Elliot hoped John wouldn’t leave her at the alter as every worse case scenario raced through her mind.

“No, he’s fine. He’s just a little nervous, but he’s excited to be marrying you,” Madison assured her, holding Eric’s tiny hand as he sang around. Sophie had a basket of rose petals, Elliot nodded.

“Are you okay?” Gabrielle asked, raising her eyebrow. No one had seen Elliot this quiet, her pink lips pursed, as she took another sip of champagne. Elliot simply sighed and nodded, giving them a smile. “Well, then lets get you married,” Gabrielle laughed.

Elliot felt her stomach wringing nervously as she picked up her skirt and followed Madison and Gabrielle out of the bridal room and downstairs towards the chapel doors. Elliot’s father was standing in a black suit and an ever present five-o’clock shadow on his face. His wrinkled, kind eyes widened at his daughter, “Tu es magnifique, ma fille.”

“Merci, Papa,” Elliot blushed kissing his cheek as she stood behind him. Jared and Kennedy were standing next to the door, lining up with Gabrielle and Madison. Sophie eagerly went to the front to stand next to Eric, both of them giggling as Madison reminded them to be on their best behavior.

Elliot smiled and linked elbows with her father as he placed the veil over her face. She focused on keeping her breathing calm and steady as her friends walked down the aisle. The music changed to the Bridal March and Elliot’s heart rate doubled as the doors opened and her father lead her down the aisle. She heard people gasp and people whispering how beautiful she looked, but her eyes were focused on the man standing next to the priest.

Elliot smiled brightly and her nerves vanished, marriage didn’t change anything. She wanted John and her future was him. John’s jaw dropped as he saw her, his lips curling up into a smile as he looked at her. Soon she was at the base of the steps. John stepped down and shook hands with Henri after he had lifted her veil and kissed her cheek. John extended his hand to lead her up the alter steps, she tried to contain the smile on her face, but to no avail.

“Still have a chance to run,” John smirked, with a soft chuckle. Elliot paused, frowning slightly.

“You’re not getting that lucky, you’re gonna have to marry me,” Elliot whispered back, a smile spread on both their faces. Elliot turned to give her bouquet to Madison, before she faced her future husband again.

“Then I am the luckiest man in the world,” John replied with a giant grin, knowing it was completely cheesy. Elliot rolled her eyes and subtly elbowed him and muttered,

“Shmuck.”

“Could you imagine seven years ago when I was desperately trying to get into your pants that you’d be marrying me?” John whispered so only she could hear as the preacher raised his hands and addressed the guests. Elliot blushed, realizing she was marrying the cocky guy who dished out every douche bag line in the book.

“Nope, but I’m really glad I am,” Elliot spoke softly as she turned to a priest standing a step above them holding a black, leather bound book. He instructed them to hold hands and they did. After repeating the traditional vows and exchanging rings with no major mishaps the priest smiled.

“I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride,” He said, his voice happy though austere. Elliot smiled expecting a small peck, after all they were in front of family and friends. Instead, John dipped her, causing her to giggle loudly and planted a big kiss. She cupped his cheek gently, there was a loud “ew” coming from Eric and Sophie, making Elliot laugh as John brought her back to her feet.

“Save some of it for the honeymoon,” A groomsman called out, lighting both of their faces on fire. Elliot’s eyes widened as she saw her mother’s disapproving face. They walked down the aisle to cheers and applause as the wedding party followed them into a waiting room.

“Holy shit! You’re married!” Gabrielle jumped up and down, hugging her older sister tightly. Elliot smiled and hugged her back, realizing that was married. She looked to the rings adorning her left ring finger and smiled.

“It was just like a fairy tale, huh Momma?” Eric chirped with a dimpled smile, looking up at her. Madison exchanged glances with Elliot and John as John wrapped his arm around Elliot tightly and kissed her chastely. He whispered something in her ear as a mischievous smile spread across her lips.

“Yep, just like a fairy tale, buddy. This is happily ever after,” Madison whispered back, hugging him tightly. Kennedy was holding Sophie’s hand and watching their friends laughing and celebrating a joyous occasion.

The End
♠ ♠ ♠
A) I love cheesy endings and this one has to be the cheesiest, gooey-ist, most lovey-dovey one I have ever written. Deal.
B) OKAY OKAY, once again I'm sorry
but the holidays are really hectic and I just got back from Hawaii with my best friend and her family. How was everyone's holiday season/new years?! 2013, yikes.
SUPER GIGANTIC THANK YOUS TO: checkyesjuliet, AlyBallyBee, ginnygene, somebody_who_cares, & Lucille Ball. for commenting I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE IT. CAPS FOR EMPHASIS!
but it's weird this story is over. thank you so much to those of you who read and stuck with this story even though I suck at updating <3!