Pallid

if i can't get the starring role

For money, I paint and draw and sometimes I sculpt. Sometimes. Not frequently, because I'm not a big clay fan and the project just ends up becoming long and tedious and just annoying and my sculptures just never come out the way I want them to anyway, so I just stick to my old brush and charcoal and tend to shy away from that infernal clay.

Lately, the focus of all my work has been Celeste.

It's pathetic in a twisted sort of way, because she doesn't care for it and ignores me completely while I try to paint or draw her or whatever. But it's the only thing that actually pays me well enough so that I don't have to work some stuffy nine-to-five.

And tonight, for once, I'm actually being showcased at a gallery. I mean, it's important because, you know, I might actually sell some of these instead of just have them be a painful reminder of things and how screwed up they are. And if I sell them, I'll have money, which is pretty good I guess.

Kind of need it to eat and pay for stuff, you know.

Celeste is lying upside down on the bed, her hand in a bag of candy. Her hair is brushing the floor. She's wearing one of my shirts (she never wears any of her own clothes any more and I don't care because I like her in pretty much everything) and some underwear and a pair of knee high white socks that have stripes near the knee. The rainbow is peeking out from under her shirt. She throws a couple of gummy bears into her mouth, staring at me as a stack canvasses near the door.

"Are you gonna be late tonight?"

"Why?"

"I thought we could do something fun after your showcase thing, like... catch a film or whatever, you know? We haven't done that in a while." She sighs. "But if you're going out with all your fancy friends or whatever, it's cool. Wouldn't wanna mess up your night or somethin'."

I actually already have plans to go out with some friends (they all think Celeste is eclectic or eccentric or something) and have hopes to unwind, but who am I to pass up a night with Celeste?

"No, no, it's okay. We can go out."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really," I laugh. "We'll do whatever you want." She smiles and turns on the TV, watching it as she eats more candy. After stacking up my canvasses, I change into something that looks 'artsy' (that's what Celeste calls it) and get ready to go. She sits up when I start looking for my car keys, walking over to me. She pulls my face down and messes up my hair and pulls away.

"Have fun."

I sell some of the paintings and drawings, and had it not been for the looming promise of a night with a sober Celeste, I would be over the moon. But I'm too distracted trying to make the night just end already so I go home to get too excited about it, and when my friends wish me congratulations, all I can do is mumble an anxious, "Thanks."

When the night ends, finally, I leave with a little over a thousand dollars, which really isn't that bad, considering the fact that I practically blew almost every potential buyer off. I can't get to my apartment fast enough.

"Celeste!" I exclaim, walking through the door. "I'm--" I stop myself short, letting my shoulders and face fall as I take in the empty apartment. She's nowhere to be seen. Her boots and army coat are gone, meaning that she's out for the night. She's probably with him again. "--home," I finish lamely, shutting the door behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi everyone (: this story should be done by friday or saturday but idk because i'm going away for the weekend, so if there's no internet up there i'll probably finish on monday or tuesday and THIS will probably be up some days after c: thanks to The Color Abi, faire l'amour, and princess perfect. hi silent readers xoxo