Pallid

tell me what you want me to say

"Where have you been?" I ask over a dinner of cold pizza and soda.

We're watching TV.

She hasn't been here for two days and came in an hour ago smelling like booze and bud and acted like nothing happened. She didn't say a word. She undressed and walked into the bathroom like I wasn't even there.

And when it came to Celeste, I usually wasn't.

She took a half hour long bath, put one of my shirts on, some underwear, and sat on the floor next to me when she finished. She grabs a slice of pizza (the smallest one) from the box. She takes the bottle of soda and downs almost half of it by herself, wipes her mouth with her hand, and stares at the television. She eats her food with small bites.

She takes another gulp of soda before answering me.

"Shut up, Rhys."

"What's that?" I touch her neck and she recoils, frowning. "Celeste, is--"

"I was with Ulysses," she answers flatly, staring at me. "We popped some xannies and partied for a day and messed around for the next. I fell asleep and he wasn't there when I woke up. Was that what you wanted to hear?" I look at her sadly and she rolls her eyes. "Don't look at me like that."

"Why did you come back?"

"You know why."

That's the closest thing I'll ever get to those three little words while she's sober and I know that.

It bothers me a little.

"I still love you."

"I thought I told you to shut up," she groans, rolling her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
super special thanks to sierra~, tigermilk, The Color Abi, and throw up. xoxox