Status: Writing in it When I Want to

New and Pretty

Hate to be the Barer of Bad News, but...

"Esmeralda, come here a minute!" Mom yelled from downstairs. I put down my book with a sigh and got up. I'd gotten home from school a little over an hour ago, today had been a surprisingly good day. No excess teasing, just ignoring, which I'd pick over teasing any day.

"Coming!" I said, as I rushed down the creaky stairs. Our house was not much bigger than a cabin. But, seeing how I was an only child, it wasn't much of a big deal. I walked into the living room quickly, expecting to see my mother reading a book herself in her favourite chair. Instead, she was sitting beside Dad on the least comfy seat in the house, our old love seat. This couldn't be good.

"I see you got home from work early." I said to my father, casually sitting across from them in Mom's seat.
"That I did, but we have something to discuss with you, Essy." Dad said, placing his hand on Mom's knee. I was worried.
"You aren't pregnant or anything are you?!" I blurted out. They both burst into laughter.
"No! Those days are long done with. What we have to tell you is nothing like that." She said. I hated surprises, from what school had taught me, 9 times out of 10, surprises were not a good thing.
"WELL?" I said, getting impatient.
"Well, Dad got offered a promotion. Only problem, we're going to have to move."

"What?! I'm not going, I have a job here." I yelled, crossing my arms.
"And what else do you have? Just a job. There will be plenty of new job opportunities where we are going. Obviously if your Dad has a job there and he doesn't even live there." Mom said, trying not to sway from her choice because of my outburst.
"I'm not going. I'd sooner live with Aunt Teagen." I said. Aunt Teagan was Mom's sister whom she didn't get along too well with. Only because Teagan was a major alcoholic and Mom couldn't stand to see her waste away to nothing.
"You're going. The decisions already been made." Dad said, his usually chipper voice going deep and strict.