Status: Writing in it When I Want to

New and Pretty

Hey Neighbour

I awoke to loud noises and people shouting. I opened my eyes sleepily to see people leaving the train. I sat up straight quickly, then heard Mom laugh beside me.
"It's not our stop yet, don't worry. We have another half an hour to go." She said, patting me on the shoulder. I nodded and closed my eyes again.

The next time I woke up I knew it was our stop because Dad wasn't sitting across from us any more. I stood up and helped Mom with our stuff. Then we both followed Dad as he led the way off the train and into our new life.

The first thing I noticed was the people. It wasn't a city in the sense of having skyscrapers but compared to living in an area so rural only 150 kids went to my high school, anything would be a city. I wasn't used to crowds and was a little nervous, until I realized most the people were just in a rush to see family members they'd been away from. Dad was still in the lead and led us to the new car his business had bought us.

"Home, sweet, home!" Dad said, taking a quick turn into a driveway. I looked up from my book and my jaw dropped. They weren't kidding about it being an improvement. This house was so huge and formal looking it seemed rude to even call it a house. It was official, I'd call it a dwelling, or maybe a mansion...
"Esmeralda, get out of your dream world and help us unpack!" Mom yelled. I hadn't even realized the car had stopped. I smiled at her and hopped out. Even if the school was worse, it might just be worth it to get to live in a place like this.
I walked over to the trunk and bent over to see where my bags were. When I heard an unfamiliar voice.
"Hey, do you folks need any help unpacking?" I got out of the trunk and straightened up.
"That'd be great actually, what's your name son?" Dad said, putting down a heavy bag and looking at our guest. I turned around to get a glimpse myself.
He was an angel. He had wavy blonde locks that fell just above his eyes and, speaking of his eyes, they were the brightest ocean blue I'd ever seen on anyone before. He flashed a smile of perfect white teeth at my Dad before replying.
"The name's Matthew Flint. But call me Matt." He said, brushing his hair back with his hand. Esmeralda Flint. A perfectly short last name to match with an unusually long first name.

What was I doing?! I didn't get crushes, I didn't swoon over guys I barely knew. The closest I'd ever gotten to this was in a romance novel. But here I was, butterflies in my stomach, heart thumping in my chest, and my knees felt like they might give out any second.