Gentle Heart

Never

Ralph quietly waited by the stables hoping that the familiar face of his boss and her friend would come barreling in for shelter, but no one came. He stared at the wall of rain trying to find hints of blue or pink or possibly red from the clothes Steve was wearing. Nibbling on his lip, he pondered if he should even invade their private conversation because of his concern for them.

They could take care of themselves. They were more than capable, well Steve is. He didn’t know if Talen can. Ralph remembered the first time he met her, a typical barn scene with rowdy drunken buffoons causing a ruckus. Talen happened to walk by innocently when she got a few catcalls her way.

He thought she would shoot them a look of disgust, anything to give them any indication to leave her alone, but she continued walking like she is oblivious to their advances or just plain stupid. The sundress did nothing for her figure as it reached down mid-calf, the flowery pattern made him cringe at the outdated fabric and the bright yellow jacket could burn holes in your eyes.

Through all the loud clothes she was wearing her hair stood out the most. Pink hair isn’t common around the South, not fully pink and she didn’t seem like the type of girl that would actually stretch their far from her comfort zone.

She intrigued him and he naturally watched out for her from that day. From the idiots that tried to force themselves on her, he rescued her and found out later that she is the one living in that deserted farm people refused to buy out in the country. Talen had that pure aura around her and he wanted to be near something as such. Reminded him of a child in a way; that bright yellow jacket…she still wore the blasted thing.

Ralph smiled bitterly; ever since Thor popped into her life she stopped wearing it. That glimmer of happiness was dashed when Thor harshly spat in her face on how worthless she is. He didn’t think she would take his words so hard until he saw her sitting in the rain with her horses surrounding her.

He had the same protectiveness urging to come forth. “Screw it.” He grumbled to himself before running across the field letting the rain pelt onto his clothes and skin. Soaked to the bone, he looked around to see if there is any indication of a human being out here. Sprinting up the hill, he paused when he saw Steve lying on the ground unconscious.

“Shit.” Ralph cursed before kneeling next to the Captain, slapping his cheek. “Cap, wake up! C’mon now, wake up!” As he shook him awake he glanced around to see if Talen is anywhere near. There is no such luck and knowing the goddess she went searching for Thor.

Looking down at the semi-conscious Captain, he smirked, “She knocked you out good, didn’t she?” A low groan escaped Steve’s lips as Ralph helped him on his feet before dragging him towards the house. There is nothing he could do for Talen unless she returned home, but until then she is sadly on her own and he hoped that she has some closure with the thunder god.

_ _ _

“We will find Jane.” Talen felt like a broken record, staring at the god before her. The pensive gaze only deepened when he heard those words. He remained hopeful and with Talen by his side Loki will no doubt come after her sooner or later.

The pink haired goddess showed her concern tilting her head to openly ponder the expression on his face. It is an odd gesture given to her nature, but due to the circumstances she didn’t care. The Warrior Three were brooding fifty feet away from them, whispering amongst themselves. Sif heatedly debated with Fandral.

“She does not belong here.” Sif hissed. “Look at the damage that she has caused in a matter of days! Loki will be looking for her and he will destroy everything in his path to get to her.”

“Talen is safer with us. The poor girl needs protection from Loki, from the Zarroc, from everyone that wants to get their hands on it. Do you think it’s to leave her attended by two Midgardians?” Fandral quirked a brow at the female warrior who huffed in response.

It is a portion of the discussion that they had, but decided to drown out the rest for the most part. Talen didn’t need to hear them arguing over her. She knew what is being said about her and a tightness in her chest increased. The need to be strong and be a source of strength is what she wished for. Sadly, the probability of that actually happening is slim.

Letting the heated dispute cloud her thoughts she didn’t realize Thor’s touch until his deep voice rang in her ears. “Ignore them. I know what’s best.”

“And what is that, my prince?” She honestly wanted to know. A part of her knew it is best for her to tag along and help with the cause while the other part of her felt that her staying behind is best.

The golden god grinned, eyes burning into her grey ones. “Staying by my side.” Those words made her heart stop before it started to race again. The familiar heat flushed against her cheeks as a million thoughts ran through her mind. “I hope you didn’t forget that you swore an oath as well.”

“I didn’t forget.” Talen whispered.

How can she forget something like that? Tears brimming and screaming the oath to her prince solemnly swearing that she will be there and aid him, she will be the soldier that her mother wished she would be and take drastic measures if needed. She honestly didn’t think when she swore that oath, but she felt the presence of her deceased brother Vermundr with her as she took the pledge.

Vermundr would have done the exact same thing and he died for the Asgardian cause, died for their king. Despite her not officially being an Asgardian for decades she wanted to help in any way possible. She can’t run nor hide; this dilemma needs to be faced head on.

There is a part of her that will do anything to keep Jane out of harm’s way and if that includes her trading places with the human then so be it. Talen can’t afford to lose Jane. Not with the prince depended on her so much at the moment, he is vulnerable and an easy target. Despite the muscles rippling through his armor underneath is flesh that can be easily torn into.

Thor had a beating heart like every living thing on this planet and that heart can easily be destroyed. She needs to protect his heart at all cost.

Talen shivered as she felt the air around her instantly start to drop in degrees. She repressed a groan of despair when she recognized the magic. The chilling air nipped at her skin sending her body into a small tremble when the aura of the black prince entered the scene.

“Prince Loki.” She breathed out softly.

Loki smirked, mockingly bowing before her. “Lady Talen, how are you fairing? Any recent…burning sensations?”

Remained true to herself, she remained quiet as he cut the distance between them. There were no mind games this time around, no cut corners or playing with her mind. He instantly faced her, inches away from her face as his finger grazed the pendant that sent her chest ablaze.

Talen winced when fire crept underneath her skin, uncomfortable with the unnatural feeling that is swirling inside of her. “Nothing I can’t handle.” She choked.

“Of course, I’m sure Freyja will kindly give you advice on how to wield Brisingamen to prevent you from meeting your premature demise. Unless the Asgardians want you to meet your death.”

“Why would they do that?” Talen furrowed her brows, grey eyes trained on his lean form as he paced back and forth like a predator.

The dark prince only smiled sinisterly twisting a lock of cotton candy pink hair around his finger, he knelt beside her. His cold breath fanned against the shell of her ear sending shivers down her spine. With a cold and precise whisper, “Because you are an outcast. You left Asgard for a reason, Talen. You never felt like you belonged so you fled as far as you possible. The Asgardians have given you nothing, but grieve. They all wanted you dead for centuries and you doubt that they won’t use this opportunity to strike you down? This is a perfect course of action for them without lifting a finger. Brisingamen will destroy you on its own within time, unless you learn how to control it.”

Listening to his harsh words, her bottom lip trembled. She tried to ignore the lies that he is feeding her, but the main portion of it was true. The Asgardians have done nothing, but terrorized her for centuries and they mocked her. Her family did nothing to protect her except for Vermundr and Thor…

Thor.

Vermundr.

Eyes brimming with tears at the thought of the two men that she truly believed in. “You—really want me to believe what you are saying is true? Most of the Asgardians may not care for me, but I do have a few that do—did. If you want Brisingamen,” Talen then stared boldly into the icy blue ones of the dark prince as she confidently proclaimed, “then you will have to take it from me.”

Loki only laughed, letting his hand wrap around her delicate throat. “I will gladly take it from you and I will enjoy watching the light leave your eyes as I do it.”

Talen gasped as she felt warmth on her cheeks only to see that she is back in reality, Thor kneeling in front of her, blue eyes filled with worry. “I-I’m fine.” Heat rushed to her cheeks at the intimacy. Once he released his hold on her he nodded firmly.

Thor didn’t believe her for a second seeing the fear resonating in her eyes as she breathed shallowly into the night sky. The poor goddess is trying to regain some control over her life despite the pain that she has endured so far. To avoid further questions, she averted their attention to something else. “Do you think Fury will look for us?”

“There might be a possibility.”

His answer made her heart drop, Fury made her feel unsettled. It was the way he carried himself that wanted her to distance herself from him. She knew that Steve will come after her once he came to; there is no doubt that he is already on his way, mindlessly trying to track her down.

Talen lifted herself from the ground staring out into the starry sky before glancing back at the prince telling him that she is going to retire for the night. Bowing her head slightly towards him, she left him in his spot as she retreated back to the rest of the group that instantly fell into silence when she made her presence known.

Ignoring their gazes as much as she could, she laid on the ground making herself as comfortable as the ground would let her before closing her eyes. Talen did feel guilty for letting Steve worry about her. She didn’t want him wandering in the woods all by himself.

She found it funny how she is so worried when he is more than capable of taking care of himself. In a way she needed to protect the ones around her as much as she can. It only took that instance to realize that she adapted the mentality of her deceased brother. A bitter smile crept on her lips with newfound determination.

In the middle of her slumber Talen felt a nudge on her ribs. The sleepy goddess mumbled in her sleep before tossing over to the other side. Then another nagging push on her back made her twist her body towards the person that persistently wanted to wake her up.

With blurry vision, her pink lips parted with a small yawn, “Pri-” A large hand clasped over her mouth, Thor shushed her before beckoning her to stand up and to follow him.

Getting up from her position proven to be difficult as she gave herself a few seconds to regain her vision, rubbing the drowsiness from them before standing up, stumbling to her feet she followed her prince to the small clearing she previously was at while talking to Thor.

“What’s the matter, my prince?”

“We must leave immediately.”

A lingering question hung in the air as Talen turned her head back to the camp to see the rest of their group is still asleep. “Okay, I’ll wake everyone-”

“You mustn’t.”

“Why?”

Thor looked restless as if he waited for his comrades to fall asleep before activating his plan. His eyes were completely wired as he lowly said to her, “This is a journey for you and me. No one else.” Talen was ready to spew out another question as to why, but refrained seeing the no room for further questions on his face.

The touch of her fingertips grazed Anvindr that is still secure on her thigh, she nodded in compliance. Without another word he trekked forward with her following a few footsteps behind, the rain continued to come down covering their tracks. The paranoia of the group following them kept having her look back to find trees and a wall of rain there.

Impatience wore on Thor’s mind as he turned to Talen suggesting that flight might be a better option.

“But to where, my prince? We don’t know where Prince Loki is.”

A confident smirk fell on Thor, the strings of golden hair framing his face. “I’m for certain he knows where you are.” Talen’s eyes widened as she thought of the little meeting she had with Loki earlier appeared in her mind. “I know when his magic is in place and you are surrounded by it. He has been tracking you since he took Jane.”

It all came to her. Why he agreed for her to come along with him, the guilt that he held in his features after she swore her allegiance to him.

“But—I can’t fly on my own, my prince. I only can when…” Memories of her beloved horse Whisper came into her mind. With leaving Asgard willingly and to grant permission to dwell in Midgard she had to give up parts of her home life including Whisper.

“That can be arranged.”

A gust of wind bellowed around her face and with a quiet snort she turned her head to see a grey horse freckled with black spots half way down his spine and thighs standing a few feet away from her. His stormy grey feathered wings fluttered before folding onto his back. Whisper’s black mane stuck to his coat as he walked towards his most beloved friend.

His nozzle pressed against her cheek as she choked back a sob of happiness. Her arms wrapped around his neck as she muttered words of joy and apologies of abandoning him. Letting her fingers run through his mane she looked into his dark eyes filled with understanding and loyalty.

“I missed you, dear friend.” Her eyes trailed off towards Thor as he stood there letting her have a moment alone with her dear four legged friend. “Thank you.”

“No need. Let’s find Loki.”

Talen sniffled; she patted Whisper’s neck before letting his wings unfold. Swinging up on the saddle, she grabbed the reigns letting Thor take off into the sky with Whisper trailing behind him without a sound echoing in the wind.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm so sorry that there isn't anything going on this chapter. just wanted to clear a few things adding Whisper, her oldest and most beloved friend here before things unravel. I know things are slow with Thor and Talen but things will improve romantically. Thor is still in love with Jane so yeah I do have a few things up my sleeve comic book wise after this segment is over. Loki, the Zarroc and possibly other character will appear in the next chapter. Things will start to get action packed or as much as I can possibly write lol. i will try to work on it tomorrow before papers start to control me again. Stupid school.