Gentle Heart

Of Gods and Monsters

“The tesseract must be guarded at all times.” Thor reminded, Jouko, one of the guards that remained in front of the vault protecting it from any intruders. The large god, growled clearly irritated by the prince giving him that stupid remainder of doing his job.

“I know how to do my job, your majesty.” The golden god never grew fond of Talen’s brothers excluding Vermundr. They were all pompous, vain, and brutal taking after their mother. Most of them except for Rekorius, who in fact used his strategic mind for the battle field and not his body.

Knowing that Loki will strike now obtaining Talen and the pendant he can easily slip inside and beckon the relic whenever he felt like it. With his father and his comrades sitting around the table to discuss plans, Jouko only scoffed at the idea that Talen could be of any danger of the whole ordeal. “I wouldn’t be so hasty, Jouko. Brisingamen is a powerful weapon especially when it becomes one with its host. It can make even the weakest opponent someone to look out for.” Rekorius piped in noticing the annoyance his older brother is having.

“I would not underestimate Talen or Loki or have you forgotten that he slipped through your fingers the first time around, Jouko?” Odin added to Jouko’s violent temper.

The brutal god stayed silent, brooding on the incident and despising the fact that the god of mischief actually outwitted him. “It would be wise to set extra protection for the tesseract now that Talen has sided with Loki.”

“Talen has not sided with Loki, father. She has been corrupted and no longer herself.” Thor clenched his fists, how can his father quickly decided that Talen is now an enemy?

“Regardless of her natural intent beforehand, she is now alongside Loki and is deemed an enemy of Asgard. Until Brisingamen is removed or her heart stops beating she will be the enemy.” Odin strongly opposed his son before he looked around the table. “Loki, the Zarroc, and Talen will be stopped at all costs. War will commence and preparations must be made.”

The debate of whether or not Talen is the enemy remained clear, she still is. Thor’s main goal is to retrieve the pendant from her chest and save Talen from her demise. He will not rest until she is the same goddess he once knew.

With preparations being made, he didn’t know how to approach this ordeal and summoned Freyja to guide him. The beautiful goddess effortlessly floated by his side, her black hair cascading down her tan skin and her scepter cradled in her left hand. “What ails you, my prince?”

“Talen.” He breathed out; his eyes remained focused out into the city. “and Jane. I do not know how to approach it without sacrificing one for the other.”

“It’s an easy choice, my prince. You choose not to see it. Brisingamen will eat Talen’s soul regardless of what you do and her death is near. Jane has a more probable chance of survival. The humane thing to do is to kill Talen to ensure the tesseract remains in safe hands.”

“And what of Talen? To sacrifice her because she means nothing to you? Loki can still regain the pendant and obtain the tesseract without Talen.”

“It seems that you have a fondness for her, the abomination that should not be called a goddess for she has abandoned her people to live amongst humans and live in superiority. She has served nothing for this world or the All Father. She’s better off dead.” Freyja hissed; the disgust for Talen is prominent like any other Asgardian that heard Talen’s name.

Everyone is on the side of killing her; the easiest and quickest way to save Asgard. Has no one a heart? Thor knew that he has his friends beside him to help save Talen, but he didn’t know if it will be enough.

Turning his burning gaze at the goddess before him, he responded, “Hatred serves no purpose for an Asgardian. Kindness and compassionate is something to be admired, Talen is someone to be admired and if anyone else were in her place she will be doing everything in her power to save that person from a certain death. I will save, Talen and Jane.”

“Then you are a fool to believe so.” Freyja quipped that no one has survived the corruption of Brisingamen and always fell into the darkness. “You should only focus on retaining the pendant.”

He still had hope, that there is still light within her that can break free. At any cost he will save her; he just had to.

_ _ _

Loki grinned sinisterly as he saw the prediction of what is about to come; the Asgardians enforcing their city and placing more protection around the tesseract. No fret, he had the one thing that can destroy and burn everyone around her.

“Talen.” The pink haired goddess appeared beside him, a vacant look in her eyes as she stared into his ready for command. “I think we are just about ready to give them what you are set out to do. Burn everything in sight; I want them to suffer like you have suffered throughout the years. We will make them pay for what they have done to you. Show no mercy.”

A toothy smile gleamed in the darkness, “Gladly.”

The large aircrafts zoomed into the atmosphere breaking all barriers with the Zarroc in hand and Talen slowly being lifted to the top Loki finally felt like he is going to obtain what he has set out to do.

Pink haired whipped behind her, red eyes dancing around the golden city. Now adorned in black clothing similar to the Zarroc armor, she grinned. Black leather covered her body leaving her chest open for the pendant to glow freely, spikes shot up from her shoulders along with metal armbands with intricate design. The chest plate resembled the leader that was killed by Talen not too long ago, taking out Anvindr it brightly glowed red.

“Let the games begin.” Her legs swiftly took flight into the edge of the ship before darting across the sky in amazing speed. Fire burst around her body once she crash landed at the entrance of the city. Standing on her feet she remained stoic when the guards demanded where she came from.

“What are you here for, Talen?”

Red calculated eyes glowered at each and every one of them before spilling out in a small hiss, “I am here to end you.” The guards standing on post immediately drew their weapons charging towards her, Talen only laughed at their foolish nature.

She raised her hand slowly and snapped her fingers, when her fingers popped each soldier exploded into flames. Casually she walked towards the gates drawing her fist back and in a couple of fiery punches the gates caved in letting the Zarroc come pouring in without a worry of being trapped inside.

Talen showed no mercy as expected, killing every single god, goddess and child without a second thought. No emotion shined in her eyes and with Asgardians being slashed open or bursting into flames she grew bored at the lack of creativity these people really had.

They tried dosing her in water which only dried up when her body sizzled in protest, it barely slowed her down and Anvindr didn’t even need to be in his truest form. The rod is drenched in blood and she could smell the victory emitting. The fear struck the Asgardians so easily and knocking down each building, fortress and home only made it more enjoyable for her.

A roar tumbled out of her lips when a blade nicked her arm. Talen growled when her eyes settled on Sif standing proud with the Warrior Three.

“Don’t do this, Talen. This isn’t you; you are far greater than working alongside Loki.” Sif tried to reason with her and the warrior goddess could see Talen didn’t falter.

“Loki is the only one that has proven his worth to me.” Talen gripped her rod tighter swinging the slippery weapon before stabbing the ground as fiery spouts arose. Her patience ran thin she demanded where the pompous two faced liar is.

“I’m right here.” Thor flew down with new found purpose, sharing a look with his comrades they all stood around him, blocking the Zarroc from getting to him. “I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but I will say it as many times as it needs to be said. I didn’t kill your brother, Loki has turned you against us and you can rise above this.”

Pink hair fluttered about her and just like before she appeared in front of him with her boomerang now in display coming down on him with a new fury. Hammer in tow he deflected the weapon sending Talen off to the side before she grounded herself once more.

“You mean nothing to me. You are the monster that took away the one thing that mattered most to me and I will gladly do the same.” Thor grew confused as he watched Talen stand there while one of the lizards quickly brought something alongside him.

Jane.

Jane struggled against the Zarroc before being thrown to the ground; Talen knelt beside the human winding her fist in her brown hair and lifting her up. “Tell me, my prince. What are you willing to do for your beloved? Hmm?”

Thor’s blood ran cold as he witnessed Jane try to scrap against Talen only to receive a knee in the stomach. A loud surprise gasp came from Jane as she bent forward for air. Her grip didn’t loosen when Jane buckled and only brought her up again with force earning a small yelp.

“What…will…you…do?”

“Leave her out of this.” He hissed in warning. “It doesn’t have to be like this.”

“Doesn’t—doesn’t have to be like this? Always trying to work the situation, huh? You didn’t give a flying fuck when I begged you not to kill Vermundr only to be laughed in my face. Do you know what you said to me?” Talen’s eyes grew big and wild, complete rage and torture within those eyes as if actually believed in what she is saying.

Leaning her head in, she slowly responded to her question. “I don’t care.” With the tip of her boomerang she hacked into Jane’s torso, the bloody splattering into the pebbled ground as the weapon easily went through her.

“NOOOO!” Thor yelled, immediately running towards her with full rage.

Blood gurgled from Jane’s mouth spilling over onto her legs before being left on the ground to die. Talen laughed as she dodged Thor’s attack and sent a crackling kick to his face. When his back barely hit the ground, Talen appeared above him, her boot on his chest.

“I won’t kill you—not yet. I want you to live in despair, watch the one you love die right in front of you.” Talen gripped his face and forcefully turned towards Jane who tried to reach for Thor, her fingers barely curled to get near to him. “Just look at her trying to get to you. How touching. So very touching; maybe I should just end her misery?”

“Don’t…don’t you dare touch her.” He spluttered, his chest heaving in agony feeling his chest burn.

Talen’s smile disappeared when she saw Hogun take initiative and scooped Jane from the floor and escaped along with Volstagg to cover him. Fandral and Sif took behind charging towards the two leaving Talen to relief Thor from the pressure. Kicks and punches were thrown sending both warriors to stagger in shock.

They have seen her battle Thor, but to be against her first hand is another story. Her agility has gained twice the speed and she was incredibly fast before. Adding the speed with her attacks left them breathless.

As the two fought Talen, one would stagger and the one would replace them. Talen effortlessly gained the upper hand; a small chuckle came from her lips at the intensity they both tried to give off.

What she didn’t foresee is her back on the ground, unable to move no matter how much she tried. Her eyes glanced down at the blasted hammer upon her chest, she hissed in madness. “What you have done is the madness that you let take over. You are not the Talen that I know. Talen would not let some meager piece of silver dictate her life, her morale or her values. You killed Jane and I will never forgive you.”

In a fit of anger, Thor saw flashes of remorse within those crimson eyes. He tried to regain his rage as he grasped her cheeks, “After your brother died I didn’t think you would ever be the same again. I doubted you would be and I tried my best to ensure that you will be protected. Even then you felt alone, you never saw me, never acknowledged or let yourself see that I have been there all along. I care for you deeply, Talen.” His hand grasped her clawed hand. “I still have hoped that you will return to me as you were because I miss you. Come back to me.”

Watching Talen have a battle within herself for the first time, guilt rose within him disregarding the explosions around her. He didn’t care that Asgard has practically fallen to Loki or the Zarroc. He will deal with his brother later at the moment he had to do something he never thought he would be possibly doing.

His large hand lightly touched the pendant that has taken everything from him: Talen, Jane and all the Asgardians falling at her hand. Tightly gripping the jewel it protested, burning his hand in the process. He gritted his teeth as he pulled on the thing as hard as he could, Talen screamed in pain fighting against him.

Tears spilled from his eyes as the pendant shattered leaving Talen’s body, a large breath of air left her body. Red turned to grey, the black veins receded and her pale skin returned. Talen sobbed with bated breath, “I-I’m…s-sorry.”

“Try not to speak.”

It deem useless as she felt her life force being released out of her. At that moment Talen felt a rush of emotions coming forth from her. She felt like this is her very last moment with Thor and she needed to express untold feelings within her. Her lips tried to form words, but her courage withered.

Talen cupped his face with such love and adoration; a small fragile smile crept on her lips. If she is to die, she rather do so in his arms. A bright light shined in her eyes to reveal the face of her beloved brother, Vermundr.

“Talen,” Thor shook her as he noticed her eyes growing distant. “Stay with me, just a little longer.” He helplessly scoured around to see if there were any healers around. “I need a medic!”

He stared down at her again; tears filled within his eyes as she calmly smiled at him and softly breathed out, “I love you.” A single tear slipped from her eye and ran down the side of her pale cheek. Her body went limp, Thor choked a sob pushing his hammer aside and cradling her small body against him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Before I say anything I have to say this chapter ended up being better than I expected. Probably one of the best I have done so far.

With that said this story is NOT over. Don't worry my fellow readers there is more to the story than this. Jane's life hangs in the balance and Talen...can't say much about her, but will be brought up in the next chapter. I have future plans for this story :)

I hope you all enjoy your holidays and to bring up those moods i have written a Christmas one-shot of Thor and Talen called Traditions[/url]-->Traditions

Please don't forget to comment :D