Gentle Heart

Punishment

Soft sniffles echoed in the forest as Talen sat there childishly, her legs crossed and face filled with grime. Tears mixed with dirt and sweat as frustration and sadness depleted her once happy mood. She always tried to please her mother and with determination that easily buckled, Minerva then had a foul mood becoming harsher with her child.

Talen felt the rage, embarrassment and disgust emitting from the goddess of war as she lowly hissed how useless she has become.

Was it her fault that she had gifts elsewhere than the battlefield?

She didn’t think so, but her mother acted like it was. This gentle heart was born into her nature something that she could not destroy no matter how much she wanted to. The sting of the punch her mother gave her throbbed on her cheek and she thanked the adrenaline for protecting her from the bruises covering her body.

Wiping another set of tears she remembered the days where she tried to take a life of an animal. A simple bunny that wandered off too far from his family and with a knife in hand she made a stance to kill the creature in one blow.

That was her intention, but no matter how much her darker side wanted her to take the life; Talen ended up taking the bunny back to his family. There was nothing that gave her the courage to take a life and her father didn’t mind. Aeron has not voiced against her morals, but has not encouraged them either.

He stood in the sidelines agreeing with his wife that their daughter does indeed in to train for protection purposes. When Talen questioned her father, he showed concerned that it was just a precaution and if anything were to go sour he would know that he will not be as worried for her life if she was prepared.

So for her father’s sake, Talen gave it the best that she can muster.

Except it wasn’t good enough and with that thought another fit of sobs erupted from her pink lips, huddling her legs closer to her form as a source of comfort. Talen wanted Whisper to comfort her; the young stallion was in the stables to sense her desperation.

In her fit of tears, she silenced a hiccup when a rustle in the bushes from the left. Gathering herself on her feet, she took a shaky stance and Anvindr in hand she grew ready. It was then that she remembered that wildings lived in the forest of Asgard and her mother took no precaution and left her there.

Her small heart thundered in her chest and it soon relaxed seeing the large and comforting form of her brother, Vermundr standing before her. “Vermundr.” She mustered quietly, grey eyes blinking away tears placing her weapon back on its holster. “What are you doing here?”

Concern graced Vermundr’s features as he stepped forward to console his baby sister, “I came when I noticed when you didn’t return with mother.” He left out the small part when he inquired where Talen was, Minerva scoffed saying it would be a blessing if a wilding took the wretched child away from her. Watching the rest of his brothers nod in agreement or stay silent, Vermundr took it in his own hands per usual and searched for her.

Wiping away her tears, he murmured, “I see you got quite the beating. Mother can be harsh at times, but only to prepare you for a real opponent that will not hold back. She loves you in her own special way.”

Talen didn’t seem too convinced as she knows the way their mother treated Vermundr; out of all the siblings Vermundr was treated best. He is the best warrior out of all of them and as the god of protection he served their parents proud especially their mother. Also being good friends with Prince Thor and good graces with the All Father helped.

Casting her eyes aside, she whispered in a small voice, “You s-shouldn’t be here. Everyone will be worried about you.”

“I was worried about you, Talen. My dear precious sister with a gentle heart.” Vermundr smiled softly placing a hand on her shoulder, his eyes stern and hopeful. “I hope you never have to wield your blade against another and for you to stay pure.”

“Being gentle is what has made me be cast aside by our family.” Talen disregard the last part of his speech, completely agreeing that she will never had to see battle given that she will probably die in the arms of the opponent or her mother if an opportunity arose. “If you weren’t the god of protection you wouldn’t be here. You would be with the rest of the family prepping for sparring.”

Vermundr gave her a wry smile, “I highly doubt it. I would protect you at any circumstance and I love you for who you are. I’m envious that you are such a pure soul; Asgard needs a goddess like you, Talen. The princes need someone like you.”

The older god smiled grinned at the flushed face his sister had; he knew the fondness that she carried for Thor and if the future served its purpose there might be a possibility that they will cross paths. Taking the hand on her shoulder, he swerved her towards their city as they started to trek back. “I hope you always remember that sparing a life and showing compassion is far more courageous than taking one. Never change, goddess of healing and horses.”


A flash of light came rushing in as warmth spread throughout her body; it was odd having that particular memory come across her mind at a time like this. Talen hasn’t had a memory like that in years not because she didn’t love her brother, but it still brought too much pain and still that searing sense of loss still lingered within her.

The lush green foliage surrounding her reminded her of Asgard’s forest and it felt lively more vibrant than what she expected. In a sense she felt more tranquil here now. That emotion seems odd to her as she felt pieces of her memory were missing.

All she remembered was Loki’s sinister smile and then waking up in the arms of Thor, nothing in between.

Her vision became foggy, quite puzzled, she wiped away the tears rolling down her face. Even though her mind didn’t remember her body did or so it seemed. Sniffling back tears, she felt a hand placed on the crown of her head and as she tilt her head back to see who it was; her heart immediately stopped beating.

Her grey eyes came across another pair of stormy greys; in astonishment she thought this is some sort of trickery of the mind or perhaps a dream. Yes, this is all a dream…

“This is not a dream.” He soothingly told her, “You have gone pass the living and into the world of immortality.”

“Vermundr.” Her voice cracked, still in shock at what her eyes set before her. She couldn’t believe it, she could feel his hand on top of her head like he used to do when she was a child and the soft caring features he still had. His muscular build still stood tall and he wore the garments he would wear in his leisure.

A smile broke from his lips, “Yes, it is I. Did you hear a word I have spoken to you?” A sparkle of amusement danced in his eyes as he looked at her flush face when she admittedly told him that she didn’t.

He had to forgive her as she still trying to come to terms with being here with him. Vermundr repeated himself speaking that she has passed on Talen didn’t know what came over her. A sense of relief? That she didn’t have to battle herself with her emotions no longer and be with the one person that truly loved and cared about her.

Observing the flash of relaxation Vermundr had the displeasure of confronting her of why she passed, “Do you know why you passed on?” When she shook her head, his heart fell to the pit of his stomach as his thumb stroked her forehead in a soothing motion. “Loki progressed your transformation and the darkness within Brisingamen took over. Standing by the dark prince’s side along with the Zarroc you killed hundreds of Asgardians in their wake. Fire consumed half the city and under its control you severely wounded Jane.”

As she listened to what transpired in the war, Talen slowly started to remembered bits and pieces. Flames engulfed hundreds of buildings, children, women and men alike. She showed no mercy, a shiver came down her spine as she remembered the cold words Loki whispered to her.

How she ripped Jane and plunged her blade into her friend, someone that she truly admired and cared for. Shock ripped through her, her legs felt like water and fell to her knees. Jane was quickly taken by someone and she was left with Thor, the god she truly loved.

The hurt, the pain and damaged she had caused him. She listened as Vermundr explained that the darkness twisted her memories making her believe that Thor and the rest of the Asgardians killed him on that fateful day.

“Fate is what killed me, Talen.” He spoke softly; his arms tightly around his sister who has been stricken with so much grief it pained him to see her like this. “I knew I was going to die young the moment I became of age. My time was to be short in the realm of the living so my siblings will grow stronger and wiser, possibly closer.”

He knew this wasn’t true. Vermundr watched his family disregard Talen in every possible way and in return Talen didn’t seek their family like he wanted her to. She didn’t even seek guidance of comfort with their father, Vermundr and Aeron were so similar and Talen gravitating towards their father didn’t come to pass.

“Overall I am disappointed in you, my dear sister.” Talen peered with confused and watery eyes. He licked his lips before he continued, “I didn’t expect the darkness to consume you so quickly, you are by far one of the strongest of hearts, most pure and for you to give in. You lost your way; you gave up on yourself after Jane was taken. Even when you swore your oath to Thor—still there was an emptiness that came with that failure. You need to learn to forgive yourself and others will follow.”

“Why are you telling me this? There is nothing left I can do! Everything that I have caused because I wanted to do good!”

“You cannot think such things. Everyone makes mistakes and no one can predict any outcome. Believe in yourself, you have so much work to do back in the living.” Vermundr then placed his large hand over her eyes covering most of her face. “I’ll be there to guide you. I promise.”

Before she could comprehend what her brother was doing her body felt torn away from the realm of the dead and into the living. A breath of life came into her, her chest slowly rising and falling. The throbbing pain of her chest came forth as she opened her eyes to see Asgardian armor around her.

Talen flinched when a sword came to her neck, “You were dead, Halfling.”

Her vision foggy not recognizing the vigor in the soldier’s voice, she strained; “Now I’m not. Can you please lower your weapon? I mean no harm.” When the blade pressed deeper onto her skin she digressed, staying silent as one spoke to the other.

“Send a message to All Father that the perpetrator is indeed alive.” The other soldier briefly nodded before sprinting away to deliver the message. Talen didn’t recognize where she was and didn’t get a chance to register the location when the soldier harshly hauled her to her feet, crying out in pain her muscles screamed in fatigue.

On her knees again, the soldier huffed taking her by the hair and pulling her up. “Get up or I will give you something to kneel for.” Talen gasped in surprise at the harsh treatment, but obeyed as she stood. She tried to keep up with the soldier as he had her in shackles and chains within the first hour.

Talen didn’t realize the extent of the destruction until she was escorted towards the throne room. The first thing was the horrible stench of burning flesh that brought a tight knot in her stomach. Charred beyond repair from buildings to bodies that were piled in heaps, Asgardians mourned for their losses until her undeniably pink hair became noticed.

She didn’t think she would get such humiliation when food and items were thrown her way. Slush of gunk and filth stained her armor and hair, eyes cast down in embarrassment she knew that apologies were too soon as of now.

The uproar of the city had her heart swelling in agony; tears at bay at the words that were also thrown her way. Words could not express how truly sorry she felt and the soldiers escorting her to the center of the Asgard did nothing to deflect the attacks.

Once entering the marble setting of the palace, her shoes echoed down the corridor as she made her entrance alongside the guards that stood beside her. Her eyes avoided the stares of All Father, the queen that stood beside him and Prince Thor who stood a little ways off. All there stared at her, but she felt the burning gaze of the prince the most.

Slowly blinking her tears away, she soon came to a halt, Odin spoke, “Talen Minervadaughter goddess of healing and horses what do you have to say for yourself?”

Giving her the opening to speak, she slowly lifted her head up tears pouring down her pale cheeks as she whispered, “I never meant any of this to happen…I wasn’t even aware of it.”

“You caused destruction to your homeland, caused fatalities and grief that apologies cannot repair.” Odin spoke sternly; he still held the voice of compassion knowing the effects of Brisingamen more than anyone besides Freyja. “And you foolishly cast the spell to embed Brisingamen within you when you well know what it will do.”

Talen’s throat felt knotted, she stiffly nodded as she spoke a little louder, “I panicked and without a second thought I cast it. I didn’t want it to fall in the wrong hands and I thought I would be able to handle Brisingamen without a glitch, but I failed…miserably. Death was what I deserved, your Grace.”

She bowed her head, openly apologetic and a wound for all to see. Everyone knew what kind of goddess she was and this wasn’t her nature to cause such destruction. Talen couldn’t bear bloodshed and for her to be bound and chained when Brisingamen obviously have been released from her made her feel like a murderer.

“It was beyond idiotic for you to take on Brisingamen on your own. Foolish girl! Do you not have intelligence? You say death is what you deserved and yet here you are standing.”

“I was brought back—to complete my life task. It has not been fulfilled yet.”

“And what is this task?” She simply shrugged her shoulders not knowing what to become of her task.

“Possibly redemption.”

“Possibly death wasn’t enough. I sentence you a century in the cellar for your punishment.” Frigga placed a hand on her husband’s shoulder as she sympathetically saw the devastation on the young goddess’ face. Quickly she came to terms with her punishment as she was whisked away.

Thor is unbearably silent through the whole ordeal and once the doors slammed shut, Frigga looked at her king. “Don’t you think the punishment was far too much for something she had no control over?”

“She needs to be treated like every other criminal. Hundreds died by her hand and to set her free with no consequence will cause in uproar.”

“A century might not be enough for the people.” Thor piped in, taking large steps towards his parents. Grief has taken a toll on their son, “She will need more than her gentle heart for acceptance.”

“She never had their acceptance, Thor.” Frigga argued, she has seen it and before all of this the Asgardians always regarded her as useless and not one of them. “The people need to be reminded that this was Brisingamen’s doing and any one of them would have been consumed by darkness and caused destruction just as she did.”

The three brewed silently wondering what it is to become of Talen and their people; the one thing that never fit together in the first place.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like this is one of my most popular stories yet this is the most silent readers I have gotten. I need some type of feedback. I have been getting close to nothing and even zero comments on the last few chapters. For the next update can I get five comments? Is that too much to ask? I want to know what you readers think.