Gentle Heart

Forgiveness

Talen could feel the bile rising in her throat as she calmly sat in her prison cell and watched the transparent shield rise. She refused to look at the prisoners as they yelled obscenities at her and other unimaginable things.

She shivered in response; her white plain cell consisted of nothing, but herself. The goddess was stripped away from Anvindr and she immediately felt a piece of herself being ripped away. Thinking she couldn’t possibly be any more alone as of then until that moment. The soldier that took Anvindr away gave her a sly smirk tossing her weapon aside commanding another officer to place it with the other useless items.

Anvindr isn’t useless; he never is or will be. Refuting back tears, she blinked slowly as the stench of the rotten food caked on her hair and armor made her queasy. Biting back another attempt of spilling out contents from her stomach, she tore the armor off her body with a sick clank.

Pressing her back in the deepest corner of her cell, she wished that she would just disappear. Honestly she wished that she had the power of Loki to elude everyone at the moment because she couldn’t take the stares and looks of disgust.

There is no telling where Prince Loki is either he escaped or has been captured.

None of those thoughts matter when her mother materialized before her. Her long hair dark as night brushed away from her face and cascaded down her strong back. Minerva stood tall and lean in her black tights and tunic that was underneath the long trench like coat that was held in the center of her torso by a few buttons.

Dangling down her chest was the crest of their family and her burning gaze caught Talen on fire or that is what she felt like. Her heart pounded harshly against her ribcage as she fumbled to her feet and bowed to her.

“M-mother, what do I owe-”

“You owe me nothing, foolish girl.” The low deep hiss came from her vicious lips. “You have brought disgrace to this family more so than before. Here you are, soaked in your people’s blood than the ones of our enemies.” Minerva scrunched her nose circling her daughter keeping the young goddess tight lip as possible.

There is nothing she can say until her mother gave her permission to speak. Her grey eyes cast on her sticky feet, she winced when she shifted.

“I wanted a warrior for Asgard not against it and no less the frost giant.”

“I didn’t-” Quickly as her words came they left her voice as shock rippled through her body. The loud smack echoed in the cellar and the red hand print left its mark on her tear stained cheek.

Is there anything that can she say that will make her believe? There is a simple answer, one that she rather not admit and observing the fuming goddess before her is proof. If her mother had her own way she would probably be stripped of every title and power and thrown into a random world for her ultimate punishment.

Minerva never wanted any of her children to side with the god of mischief; it was the worst thing any god or goddess could do. Talen was aware of that and when she retained her memory; she knew that she was going to get something out of her mother if she spoke to her.

Lucky for her, Minerva actually took the time to be here.

“Do not refute me, Talen. You sided with the enemy. You took Brisingamen and infused it with yourself and you became a barbaric animal that I will not claim.” Minerva stood in front of her daughter and bored into her soul. The dark goddess’ fingers gripped at her daughter’s chin tightly as she vehemently said, “I hope you rot in this cell because if you don’t…and you get released—you have no home, no family. Nothing. You are no longer my child.”

Talen’s lips quivered, shutting her eyes tightly as she felt the presence of her mother disappear. A quiet sob left her lips as she curled up in the corner letting her sorrow take her. As quickly as that conversation went she never thought her mother would disown her.

A part of her wanted to know that her mother didn’t hate her as much as she claimed and seeing how easy it was to say those words…it wounded her deeply. It sliced her open and her mother gladly let the wound get infected by her words, beating her with each syllable.

There is truly nothing left in Asgard for her. If she ever is released and had enough strength she will leave to Midgard and live the rest of her days there. Asgard has proven to be hell on Earth for her and her distaste for this world as grown bitter by the second. She held no resentment towards All Father for he is protecting her in this cell, if she were to be out there…who knows what would happen.

No one would protect her from the people of Asgard.

The congregation will destroy her.

Talen sniffled as her torn clothes clung to her like second skin, the strong smell of blood and flesh still lingered in her nostrils. She felt sick to her stomach as she held onto herself seeking the comfort of her brother’s words to push her forward.

It felt like days when she received her next visitor. Her father, Aeron stayed a little longer than her mother did and voiced his opinion on what Minerva said to her. Aeron has not disowned her and will try to have her back into the family as soon as possible. Aeron has proven to be more of a father these days and Talen possibly might think that Vermundr has something to do with this.

Aeron brought her fresh clean clothes switching out her old worn ones; he also bought her time to get her cleaned up. Her father being the god of trust worked wonders. Sitting in the cell with her he shared with her that he has spoken to Thor.

Instantly she stiffened, “What—did he have to say?”

“Nothing that really matter, but I have offered your service to help Jane; she’s still in critical condition and I find that you are an extraordinary healer.”

“I doubt they will let me.” Aeron proved her otherwise claiming that someone will escort her to Jane’s quarters for the process to be done. Talen couldn’t believe her ears and when she felt her father kiss her forehead, she bit back tears when he left.

There is nothing more in this world than helping Jane the guilt was eating away at her and processing that it might have been days in the cell, it will give her less of an advantage of helping Jane. What she didn’t expect was the golden haired god himself to approach her.

His stiff posture gave away that he is fighting to be there and she stood in a sign of respect, she bowed from the waist down. “Prince Thor.” She fought to say, my prince, given that it might not be well received at the moment. Her fingers tightly twisted themselves in her trousers as she asked the simple question.

“What may I be of service?”

“Jane. I need you to help her.” His blue eyes finally gazed into her. Her heart immediately dropped to the pit of her stomach as she nodded. Taking a few steps forward he instinctively took them back, frown lines appeared on her soft features extremely hurt by the action.

Doubt clouded her mind as the golden shield vanished letting her step out with a few guards on each side of her. Talen thought less of what they would do until a familiar clank hit her ears. Deep sadness rang in her heart when the binds and chains were on her wrists and ankles. What is she capable of? There is nothing she can truly do, Anvindr is not at her disposal, Brisingamen is not with her any longer and she didn’t have the desire to shed blood.

The gods of Asgard used to mock her, haunt her dreams and bully her to their hearts content. They never took her seriously, but now they have her in chains thinking she will incapacitate them or worse?

A soft sigh left her lips as she trekked along the hall to feel a burning gaze. Talen peered to her right, the cell next to hers and her blood ran cold. The green eyes of Loki unwavered when he saw her, following her every step and a small smirk appeared on his lips.

As quickly as he took a look at her he shifted his attention elsewhere. It did come to her where Prince Loki would be; captured or not and she be happy to say that he is captured and with tighter security this time around. They misjudged him and he escaped, knowing All Father he is spending the rest of his life in that cellar.

A century felt that much longer knowing Prince Loki is right next to her. She didn’t have much hope for him as Thor did, but there is a small chance that he might change if the opportunity arises.

Her freshly cleaned feet padded softly across the marble floor, the cool sensation reached the soles of her feet leaving her liberated. There is something about walking down these halls that made her have a sense of self. Possibly being here despite the chains made her lose her depression for a moment.

That is until her eyes locked with the locks of her beloved prince; the one that has stolen her heart since childhood.

The chains clanked at each step she took giving everyone an advance warning who might be walking down the halls. Talen kept her eyes forward ignoring each murmur and whisper coming her way. Entering the quarters, Talen bit back a gasp when she saw Jane lying there completely still as the healers tried to speed up her recovery.

“How is she fairing?” Thor inquired.

Talen jumped at the sound of his voice that is filled with worry and concern. She felt a sharp pain in her heart hearing him like that.

The healer frowned, sighing sorrowfully, “There is not much we can do. Only time can help.” The healer’s eyes flickered over to Talen easily sharing the aura of discomfort. “Unless you have the goddess of healing by your side.”

“You may leave…all of you.” Thor commanded, the healers bowed at their prince taking their leave and with another scolding look to the guards, they scurried off without another questionable look. Talen couldn’t take her eyes off of Jane.

Usually an unconscious person looked peaceful in a dreamlike state; Jane looked haggard, torn and gone through so much trouble. Small flesh wounds were healed that much to her trained eye can see from the distance she had. Dare she not take a step towards Jane without Prince Thor’s consent and she stood until then.

“Can you help her?”

“Of course.” It might have been premature to say such a thing and a bit egotistical that she can heal any wound. Possibly she can give to her years of experience and powers; perhaps maybe she can help Jane in such a state.

Talen squeaked, almost jumping out of her skin when the prince brushed his fingers around her wrist. “Don’t be afraid.” He whispered; he gently released her leaving her in awe. From what she has seen in his recent behavior he didn’t want anything to do with her and now…he is treating her like he has always done; gently.

Taking light steps forward she reached Jane automatically lifting her shirt to see the damage. Memories came flooding back as she gently unbound the gauze wrapped around Jane’s torso. Quickly she pressed her hand against the hole as it seeped blood, her hand glowing green.

Focusing on her energy towards the wound, she pressed her other hand in the same area. Opening her eyes, she noticed the charts floating above her that she is improving. Smiling in relief, Talen openly said, “I don’t remember what I did…when I died I saw Vermundr,” Her sad smile stretch at the mention of her dear brother. “He showed me what I did and—I’m truly sorry.” Her eyes darted towards him expressing the sorrow that she has been feeling.

He should know that she isn’t built to shed blood, her heart is too gentle to do such things and now she is going to be haunted by it till the day she died. She hoped that part of her she didn’t remember when she passed.

Thor pressed his hands on the table standing across from Talen as he looked at Jane. “When I saw you I still had hope; I swore to myself that I would keep you safe and I didn’t. I lost you…I almost lost Jane. I don’t know which is worse, losing you or witnessing you nearly killing her.” When he glanced at Talen he saw the wretched emotions swirl within her soul.

The prince knew this wasn’t her fault, not her doing initially. The pendant as well as Loki had her do things she would never do in a million years and still it hurt him to see her hurt Jane. He didn’t know if he could forgive her, but seeing that she didn’t change had him reconsider.

She still wanted to help and even though her eyes expressed pain and sorrow there is a speck of her old self.

Talen gasped the light from her hands fading, “She’s going to be fine. Sore from her wound and fatigue because of the speed of her recovery.” Giving him a soft smile, he wondered something. Something that has been echoing in his mind these last few days.

“Before you passed on, you said something to me.” Her shoulders tensed, he continued, “You said you love me.”

Her heart skipped a beat; to think being confronted by her mother was terrifying this is beyond that. This was her worst fear coming true and she realized that she confessed on her death bed thinking that was the last time she is ever going to see him.

Talen sees this opportunity to be brave; to own up to what she said before she died and move on. Clearly, the prince loves Jane and she never thought she would have a chance. She is one of hundreds of goddesses that love him and probably one of the few that admired him from afar. Clutching the cloth in her hand to remove the blood, she nibbled on her bottom lip.

She mumbled, “That’s correct.” She has to say something more than that; she needed to tell him regardless that he probably knows of her feelings. With a watery smile, she confessed, “I always admired you, after that fateful day when you rescued me from that boy who bullied me—you were the first one to notice me in a long time. It was refreshing and even though we rarely crossed paths I still grew to love you. Childish to say when I barely knew you, but it grew the more I got to know you and I know you are with Jane so I never pursued. There’s no point. I’m no one.”

“Don’t you dare say that.” Talen’s eyes widened as she surprisingly close to the prince as he brought her head up to look in his eyes. “You are someone; a very special someone that I started to cherish. I did overlook you often, but what you didn’t see was me looking fondly at you. I admire you and to watch you leave Asgard—I didn’t understand and I see how the people treat you. I promise to protect you this time around. You don’t deserve to be in that cell and I hope you’re sentence is reduced.”

Talen’s gave him a sad smile with flushed cheeks, “No need to protect me. I can endure a century in that cell. Maybe that is what I need, what the people need. I don’t think I can bear looking at what I have done.” She isn’t going to question is sudden change of heart or that his mood improved when Jane escaped critical condition so smoothly.

Thor wanted Talen to be released; being reminded of her power she can help with the war of the nine realms. Escorting back in her cell, she didn’t complain and quietly slipped back in. Taking large strides to see his father he expressed his change of heart; Odin smiled wryly at his son’s emotions.

Still Talen needed to be in the cell and there is nothing he can truly do. Odin commanded Jane to be transported back to Midgard and demanded Thor to pushed his emotions aside and focus on the task at hand. Talen can wait and a century will be over before he knew it. After sending Jane back, Thor bitterly sided with his father knowing there is nothing he can do at the moment.

Time better be on his side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tender moment with Jane in recovery...how sweet haha. All is forgiven at the moment and sadly Talen will have to live out her sentence. Next chapter we will go into Thor 2, it will be loosely based on it since I only saw it once and don't have the time to find it online to rewatch it. Thank you for the ones who commented, honestly thought I wasn't going to get the comments. Much appreciated and this update is for those five people :)

Dezi Demise

lovelessbird

Jayme112234

AcidStamps

mollymurach