Gentle Heart

Midnight Strolls

“Everything will be provided for you, clothes, food, and medical care. I chose a good friend of mine to look after you when I cannot be around or aid you.” Thor explained as he strolled down the corridors to her new room. He kept his eyes forward not daring to look down at the defeated face of the young maiden in his arms, he cannot stand it and it troubled him more than he anticipated.

Just as he thought of the young healer that is supposed to take care of Talen, she appeared, bashfully bowing. “Talen, this is Misa, your new caretaker until you recover.”

The tender voice of the young goddess lifted Talen’s eyes from her hands, “Pleasure to meet your acquaintance, my lady.” The soft brown curls were neatly pinned back from her heart shaped face, the beauty she felt in her features astounded Talen as her hazel eyes met her grey ones. Dark tan skin glowed underneath the sunlight and her tall stature did not go unnoticed.

Talen gave a similar greeting as they all walked into her room, “I have your bath running and waiting, my lady.”

“I will return after you are done.” He whispered to her, gently cupping her cheek in reassurance that he will return and not leave her here. Panic settled in her chest as she stiffly nodded her head in compliance, she cannot complain of being left alone with someone she barely knew. Especially to be coddled by the prince.

When Thor turned on his heel, he whispered to the healer, “Take good care of her, and do not let anyone near her without my consent.” Misa nodded as she whispered her obedience in a murmur. Talen’s heart swelled at his protective nature, watching him exit her room, she turned to Misa who then offered a kind smile.

“Well then, how about I help you in the bath? Must feel awful in, nothing a rose filled bath cannot fix.” Settling next to her, the tall maiden helped Talen up on her unstable feet, taking her time walking across the room and into the scented room, her battered and fatigue body almost collapsed at the soothing fragrance.

Within a few feet from the large tub, she lifted her arms gently as Misa helped get rid of the clothes. Talen shivered, holding her arms close to her chest as she is helped into the warm water. Her toe dipped in first, her foot rigid from the sensation, yet she pushed herself to fully submerge.

A quiet moan left her lips as she slid further in, dipping her whole body before rising. Talen barely said a word as Misa started to comb through the tangles and knots in her hair, grimacing at the sharp pain, she bit her lip from crying out. Small pricks of tears came forth, that is soon pushed back and with work, the comb finally combed through her hair without much hassle.

Next, she experienced being handled and scrubbed. Talen is surprised to see how rough Misa washed her as if she is to be polished. The tiny bristles scratched the dirt and grime off her delicate skin leaving a burning sensation behind.

Getting this treatment is only fit for a queen or of royalty, to be taken care of is nothing she wanted and to burden the prince with something like this. Guilt ran through her veins, the beauty cosmetics of Asgard went unwelcomed and surely she did not miss it. The waxing, the plucking, the grooming; everything either burned or stung near the end.

Her body is being brutalized by a beauty treatment.

Being dried off, she noticed the green garb she is going to be wearing. “Green isn’t my color any longer, my family disowned me. I am not worthy of such a color.”

Misa halted her ministrations simply apologizing, “I’m sorry for your disowner ship, my lady. I will replace them.” Talen still didn’t feel at ease with Misa even if she is being kind to her so far, still she is waiting for the young healer to betray her or slit her throat to end her life.

Sitting at the edge of the tub, she waited until she returned with white underdress for her to rest in. As she slipped it on, her sore body screamed in pain as she contorted her limbs to shuffle into the dress.

When the healer told her to take a seat, she fidgeted never taking her eyes off her for a second. Slowly she sat, shifting her weight when she felt a tug on her hair. Within a flash, Talen grabbed Misa holding the arm that is about to harm her to find a brush in her hand. Humiliated, Talen blushed when she saw the frightened stare.

“My apologies, Misa.”

Stunned, Misa choked, “D-don’t apologize. I hear you had a difficult time adjusting to life behind those walls.” Situating herself, she gently took the pink hair before softly reminding Talen that she is going to comb her hair. A twitch of a smile appeared on her lips when the familiar tug raked through her hair.

Soundlessly, Talen flinched at every tug and pull at her long locks; mentally she started counting to herself at how long it took to perform one stroke. Because of her long tresses Misa pulled her hair back, parting before twisting it into one long braid.

Blindly touching her hair, she gave praise to the shy goddess, “You’ve done wonders. Thank you for your kindness, I know it must be hard to be around a traitor such as I.”

“I never had such thoughts.” Talen met her gaze through the mirror. “I think you are a hero for what you have done.”

“I’ve killed so many people.”

“It wasn’t your fault. You are not to blame.” A sympathetic hand is placed on her shoulder giving a gentle squeeze. “Now take comfort in your new quarters, no one will place harm against you.” Talen forced a smile not completely sure that it is true.

When Misa went to gather food for her, it is then that she detected the two guards standing by her door. Frowning, she felt odd for such a thing, she doubted they openly volunteered for this task and possibly grumbled at standing guard. Thor announced his presence when his thundering footsteps were heard across the hall.

Shifting in the soft large bed, it swallowed most of her as her aching body is grateful for such plush material. When he asked how she is, she replied shortly, “As well as I can be for being stuck in one place for a century and now another for a few weeks because of malnutrition.”

As if her words summoned the food, Misa can bursting through the door with a plate filled with food that is easy for her to chew. It didn’t take long for Misa to excuse herself as the two were left once again.

Carving into the piece of meat, she gently asked, “Tell me, what happened in the past hundred years?” The grim features on Thor’s face made her heart stop beating, growing nervous she heard of him restoring the nine realms along with the army, how it took those hundred years to finally restore peace. All of it felt like her fault.

“Don’t be foolish. It is not your fault, Loki spun the universe on its axis and within those walls it crumbled sending every realm into chaos.”

Talen nibbled on her food, vulnerability settled within her as she realized that she had no corset or bra underneath her dress. Completely naked under her nightgown, she is underdressed as she had royalty in her company.

Thor hardly noticed until she crossed her arms around herself, murmuring, “Pardon for my state of dress. I should have asked Misa for more suitable clothing.”

“Nonsense. You are recovering, it’s best to stay as you are.” The words of his father echoed in his ears, the self-doubt, his feelings concerning Talen and Jane, how after her recovery the chance of her returning to Midgard is more than likely.

None of it put him at ease, he is on edge and this feeling that he had…he couldn’t stand it. Thor despised how confused he felt and being in the company of Talen had him seeing her in a different light. Now that she is released, she looked different, felt different, and is different than when she was sentenced. It wasn’t just her long hair; it was in those dark pools of grey.

Confliction, guilt and sadness flashed in her eyes.

“Talen,” He heard himself speak without really thinking. “Are you—returning to Midgard once you are healed?”

It pained him to not know; he needed to hear it from her more than anyone and watching the sadness in her eyes. “Yes, I am.”

“Why?” His large hands gripped her shoulders, holding onto her tightly as he moved closer to her. Her eyes widened as she stared at him in surprise. “Why are you so willing to go back when you have a home here? Do you not think it is safer for you to be in Asgard than on Earth?”

Parted lips, her mind reeled; she didn’t think the prince would be so concerned with her wellbeing when it came to going back. Her mind always reverted back to the days where she spent on her ranch, she dreamt about it, wished it and hoped the long days shortened so she can reunite with Ralph, her horses and her home.

“Why…” The word tasted foul in her mouth; slowly she processed her next few thoughts. A gloomy state of mind appeared on her lips, “I have no home here, my prince. The people despise me; they will kill me if I stayed-”

“I will protect you.”

“You can’t protect me all the time. If not today, then one day they will retaliate against me, you, this whole kingdom. What for? It’s easier for me to leave when I’m better.”

Thor shook his head, refusing to believe every word that came out of her mouth. “This is what you do, you run. Every obstacle you face, you flee from it. Things will get better, everyone will see the good in you and returning to Midgard only because is safe is not a reason.”

“It is for me. I have people that truly care about me, they don’t see right through me like they have done here. Here, I don’t have friends or family. I was invisible and with my return they hate me. If All Father will not exile me for my crimes then I shall do so.”

“I need you here.”

A watery smile appeared on her lips, “No you don’t. I’m a soldier, a friend at your disposal.”

“You are not disposal—you are irreplaceable.” He whispered so softly he thought he imagined uttering those words.

The breath is sucked right out of her. Kind words there are nothing, but kind words from a friend. The prince and her have become close and not seeing her for a hundred years has taken a toll on his mind that had him spewing out such friendly words.

Foolishness, that is her first thought as she soaked in his words. The prince, future king of Asgard is indeed an imprudent god; he could care less of the consequences or what may rise if she decided to stay. Since birth, she never felt content here, there always seems to be something missing, a part of her yearned for something of solace and gratifying.

Talen used to think All Father should have called her the goddess of Midgard for she truly loved humans. The humans she encountered, she cherished, and Ralph is a strong example of the friendship she built within those years.

“Midgard may be the place for you, but you never considered the tragedies you may face after numerous of years. Death, humans have a short life span and all the friends you made will soon perish while you linger on Earth, we live for thousands of years, Talen and for you to go through that heartache every seventy years is not worth it.”

Thor never pleaded, but he attempted to make his case clear. Humans are fragile beings, they have short lifespans and considering she never aged she possibly may have to move. Ralph is the only one that knew of her heritage.

Actually pondering on what he said, bitterness ate at her heart as she spilled, “What of Jane? Are you not jesting for being her lover?”

Immediately, Talen slapped a hand over her mouth, soft rambles of apologies tumbled out of her lips. Bowing profusely as he stood back in shock at her rapid retort, he never expected her to sound hostile and it took him a moment to regain his bearings.

“Being imprisoned has changed you.” He mumbled.

Her hand fell from her lips, pursed in a fine line, she whispered, “It changed me in so many ways.” Waiting for him to take his leave, she moved her head to avert her gaze from him, shameful at what alterations came with being isolated from society for so long.

“You must be exhausted. I’ll leave you to rest.”

Stiffly nodding she waited for the definite sound of the door closing before she collapsed onto her bedding. Deeply sighing, she kicked the tray of food that had a few nibbles here and there onto the floor, frustrated with herself. At a loss, she let her emotions consume her, drifting off to sleep.

During the next few weeks, Thor came to visit her although they had their disagreement. He didn’t want to linger on what they said for she needed company; avoiding her will cause nothing, but problems. Talen already had been in solitude for years so she needed company whenever he could provide it. He took her on midnight walks to avoid the chaos that may inflict on her.

Constantly he heard snide remarks about Talen and Loki, how they both deserved more than their punishment. They should be banished or executed. Restless with the animosity towards the two especially Talen, he made a public announcement that no one is to touch a hair on Talen’s body and if they are to do so, they will suffer greater consequences.

Luckily, Odin agreed with his terms, the public roared, fuming at the restrictions, yet it is needed for the safety of Talen and the rest of society. With the law in place, he still provided protection and for her to be by his side at all times.

Talen thought his actions were strange; he became more affectionate towards her. Kind, gentle and unmoving with generosity; strolling around Asgard in nighttime is not new to her, she has done it has a child when the horses were asleep. After sparring with her mother, she would be cared for by the horses and one special evening, Vermundr presented Whisper to her.

She will never forget that moment; the small wings fluttered from the colt, taking timid steps towards her, lightly sniffing her which she retracted against her brother for safety. Vermundr coaxed her into letting the small animal get familiar with her and from that moment on, she felt bonded with him.

Giving him the name Whisper for he rarely made a sound.

Talen found a similar situation when the prince one night took her to the stables to reunite with Whisper. She could feel relief flood through her veins as she hugged her companion. Concerned, worried, and aggravation that he waited so long. Prince Thor has been beyond accommodating for her.

Simply on routine, Talen found herself quietly standing up from her bed, Misa by her side as she brought a new set of clothes for her. Softly smiling at the young healer for all the aid, she slipped out of the nightgown, “Misa.” Her gentle voice is heard, Misa turns her around to undo her bindings, and gradually she felt she had more room to breathe.

Exhaling, she pressed a hand on her chest when she saw the dirt and grime from her bindings, tossing them to the side, Talen watched as Misa crossed the room to gather the new bindings when the door swung openly unexpectedly.

“Lady Tal-” Thor paused when his eyes reached the form of the goddess, it took a moment for him to comprehend that Talen stood in her naked glory.

Frozen in fear, her arms stayed stiffly at her side letting him see all of her. Talen gazed into his eyes when he finally looked at her, his dark pools of blue grew darker with something she rarely saw. She fully didn’t want to understand what might be going on his in mind; regardless she didn’t cover up. It was Misa’s voice that brought them out of their daze.

“I t-think this is inappropriate, m-my prince.”

Shaking out of his stupor, he cleared his throat, “Of course, apologies. I shall wait…outside.” A small flush of red colored his cheeks as he exits. As he did so, he saw the tiny smirks on the guards placed by her living quarters, he frowned at them. “You knew. You both knew.”

“I have no idea what you are speaking about, Prince Thor.” One of the guards responded, the other mumbling in agreement. Thor huffed before leaning against the opposite side of the door, he cannot lie and say he isn’t pleased to see her.

Inside, Talen gasped, her hands slapping over her chest to gain some modesty. Misa gave her a wry smile, “I think it’s a little late for that, my lady.”

“I guess you’re right.” Sheepishly smiling, she placed her arms out as Misa started to do her bindings, licking her lips, the pink haired goddess cheeks flushed a deep red. Talen quickly got ready, slipping on the grey dress for the night, adding a long coat to protect her from the cold. Running her hands through her hair, frantically, she took a deep breath before walking out with a small good luck from her friend.

Glancing at the guards standing by her door, she looked over to Thor who offered his arm barely looking at her. She can’t account for if he refused to look at her because she avoided eye contact. Taking long strides to maintain the same pace as the prince, she could feel the air splash her redden cheeks once they were outside.

A few moments of silence before Thor spoke, “I’m sorry for intruding. It was careless of me not to announce my presence.”

“Don’t be silly.” Shy smile crept on her lips, flustered, she shook her head to have her pink fluffy hair fall around her face. “I’m usually ready when you arrive, I lost track of time. Besides, I should have gotten ready in the bathroom.”

She noticed the confusion written on his face, “You get dressed…where you bathe?”

“It’s something I picked up in Midgard.” The grimace on his face did not go overlooked when she mentioned her life on Earth. Deciding to shun the subject completely, she went another route. “Thank you for taking me out at night; I need some freedom after being cooped up for so long.”

“There’s no need to thank me. I keep my promises.” Grey meeting blue, she felt her breath stolen from her lungs, her heart constricted as his gaze became intense. Her fingers tightened around his thick bicep, all the muscles in his arm flexed at her touch. She could feel herself starting to immerse within him, a small settling moment where she may think that they may have a chance together.

A glimmer or spark that somehow wiggled into her mind, whispering, coaxing her to come closer to the flame that is inevitable going to burn her. Sadly, she did not see Thor as the flame that would burn her; rather he would provide warmth, protection, and shelter.

His hand cupped the side of her face, she welcomed it. Her hand lightly gripping his, her eyes fluttered closed as she felt feather like kiss on her forehead, then his lips traveled to her temple, the slow burning trailed to her nose, her cheek and finally the corner of her lips. Only a breath away from their lips being met, a twig snapping caught them off guard.

Instantly, Thor stepped in front of her to guard her from potential threats. Talen gripped the back of his shirt as he demanded, “Who goes there? Show yourself.”

A small rustle came from the bush before a small cat like animal lazily appeared, giving a nonchalant look at the couple, yawning widely, its fangs gleaming in the moonlight before making its way elsewhere.

Thor and Talen watched the animal as it disappeared, a small chuckle bubbled to the surface. Talen covered her mouth as Thor turned to see, sheepishly smiling, “I’m s-sorry. It’s just—you were threatened over a small animal.” She giggled.

“It could have been dangerous.” He defended, a smile threatening to creep up. Thor chuckled thinking how his awareness became so sensitive when he is around Talen, he hardly focused on the aspects of the difference between an animal footsteps and an Asgardian’s. Truly he is losing it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for being wonderful :D I totally forgot who wanted to see Thor walking in on Talen, but shoutout to that person. Hope I did the scene justice. I always take requests if you want something to happen or any ideas. Jane will reappear in the next chapter since Thor 2 will come into play.

For the awesome people that commented,

Jayme112234

lovelessbird

mollymurach

Dezi Demize

MamaZ