Gentle Heart

Blame

The tightness in her chest is unimaginable, the guilt, shame, and dishonor that she displayed when she actively and orally let the prince kiss her. In her mind she swore that she leaned in inviting his lips to have his way with her; her most inner desires flourished that day and now she feels woozy.

Talen couldn’t bear staying in the library for too long before she went out to get some fresh air, with countless hours under her belt for searching for a cure, she found nothing. Disheartened by her search, someway thinking the answer to extracting the Aether from Jane’s body would pay a small fraction of her infidelity. A groan left her lips as she let her overheated skin is pressed against the cool marble column that offered its support.

Gazing off to the distance, safe and isolated from most Asgardians during this time of day, her grey eyes wandered to the beautiful blue sea. The salty air wafting into her nose as the grand golden city sparkled under the sun. When she really took a step back from her problems, she can see the true beauty of Asgard; it’s like no other world she has been to.

But it wasn’t home.

The goddess yearned to be in Midgard with Whisper and Ralph who probably is worried sick about her. Her tongue flicked across her bottom lip, tugging the skin as her eyes settled on the couple not too far from her. Talen cannot deny who it is from the unbelievable stature of the prince of Asgard, in all his glory draped in dark blue cape leaning against the railing staring off towards the sea.

Jane draped in a similar cape only in grey and a dark blue dress underneath it from what she could see, she too staring off listening to the prince. Talen let her eyes stay on the couple, remorse eating away at her soul as she saw their hands pressed together, sliding in opposite directions before intertwining, the loving gaze shared and the kiss.

The kiss that she shouldn’t threaten tears to come down her cheeks, or that small glimmer of hope that she isn’t aware of to be smashed into tiny little pieces; she stayed distant and Thor did the same. He stayed with Jane mostly catering to her and showing her the city they both grew up in. Jealousy did not rise inside of her; instead she wished that the prince did not kiss her giving her false dreams.

Talen glanced at the couple once more letting one tear trickle down her cheek before she rushed inside.

The pink haired goddess is perplexed; not for the life of her could she find something and as much as she wanted to talk to Jane about what happened between her and the prince, she wanted to find the cure first. So she went to Rekorius, one of her brothers that are wise and less violent and abrasive than the others. The closest to Vermundr’s qualities than most.

Finding the lanky strategist was not easy; most of her brothers lived on the sparring arena only leaving for certain preparations. Rekorius found Asgard to be his home finding small scenic places to find solitude; it didn’t help that she couldn’t ask anyone to help her, she was on her own. Using her agility, she snuck by most of the citizens of Asgard when she finally stumbled upon her brother.

The young goddess did find humor that her siblings were known for their wild brightly colored hair, most of them anyways and yet Rekorius out of all of them is the most difficult to find. His bright orange hair glowed in the sun something that anyone can spot in the crowd alongside her pink curls.

Her soft steps went unnoticed as she climbed down the ledge to find Rekorius sitting off a lower cliff where the waves were crashing into the rocks below. Spritz of water freckled his face. When she reached the bottom, she bit her lip taking in a large breath, “Brother Rekorius.”

The wild haired god turned his head, those unwavering amber eyes falling upon her. “Sister Talen, how gracious of you to see me. Pray tell what ails you.”

Despite his seemingly calm nature given to his gift mind, she still felt on edge with him. Sitting beside him with a safe distance, she clasped her hands tightly, wringing them bashfully. “I-it’s about Jane.”

His golden eyes glowed in recognition, “Ah, the mortal. Yes, I recall her clutching to the side of our prince. I’m sensing that you came to find more about the Aether.” His tone came more out of a statement than a question, she nodded in affirmation as she waited for him to continue. “The Aether is something no one truly knows much about, no further resources give details of the relic. The only race that knew is the dark elves themselves and they have perished long ago; the only solution I find is death.”

A cold sensation rushed throughout her body, “No—they cannot be the only solution. Please, Rekorius there has to be something else.” She pleaded.

“Talen, there is no sense to beg.” His eyes hardened at her display of weakness. “There is nothing to be done unless you find a creature of the dark elves to extract the Aether from her body, she will die. Her mortal body is weak; I give her a few days. Unless you are resurrecting her, I insist on a plan before she falls over.”

That was a low blow; firstly she didn’t want to be resurrected, but given to the situation she was and now she is here. She didn’t want to give up, persistent hoping that her brother is hiding something from her than actually telling her the truth of him knowing nothing. She pressed, “There has to be some spell or possibly the tesseract-”

Rekorius chortled, “The tesseract will not do and you are not allowed near it; you know better. Jouko is taking his level of security a little more seriously this time around which I find hysterical finding that he did such a horrible job the first time around.” Talen frowned hearing her brother speaking ill of another sibling of theirs, the casual god leaned back on his hands as he turned his gaze forward.

“I hope to All Father that you don’t do something stupid this time around and place the Aether inside yourself. The citizens of Asgard have not forgiven you of your sins just yet.”

Talen knew this; why would she have snuck to see Rekorius instead of asking around? Staying silent left the orange haired god pondering; the typical silence that he is used to hearing when Talen is around their brothers tugged at his heart slightly. Exhaling through is nose sharply, he rolled his eyes at his soft spot towards Talen, “If I find anything I will let you know.”

A thankful smile crept on her lips as she turned to thank him having him refuse her gaze, acknowledging her gratitude in his own way. Her next line of duty is to go to Jane and tell her what happened between her and the prince. She cannot linger in such indignity, taking a stand on her own two feet, Talen froze when she saw the golden barrier that surrounded the kingdom shatter, slowly depleting from the top.

“Brother…” Shock took her as Rekorius turned to face her, witnessing the same large unidentified aircrafts flying towards the center of their kingdom.

The witty brother stood tall standing beside his sister, “Now would be the time to call on your friend. We must act swiftly.” Talen concurred, bringing her fingers to her fingers, a high pitch whistle soared through the air and moments later her freckled grey companion soared through the sky, landing with urgency.

Jumping onto Whisper, Rekorius joined her soon after before the animal took flight; the wind picking up around her. “To your left!” he yelled, Talen gripped Whisper’s mane to the right barely missing the ammunition that is meant for them. Coming to a full circle, her eyes trained on the black aircraft, she withdrew Anvindr, flinging him through the air as the bladed boomerang sliced through the aircraft with ease sending it down below.

Victory has not come as more fire power is thrown at them, Whisper flying in circles, purposely going towards other aircrafts to shoot at one another by moving in the last moment. Rekorius’ arms tightened around his sister, like she has said before he is no warrior, but a strategist giving his advice on where to go.

“As much as I love to be in the air completely outnumbered, I rather be on the ground!” His voice cut through the roaring wind as the flapping wings of Whisper became stressed as he glided towards her family. Talen didn’t spot them until they were almost to the ground, Rekorius jumped off landing gracefully before taking off to who knows where. Pink hair swayed in front of her face as she used Whisper to jump from his back and onto the back of the enemy that is ready to cut down one of her brothers.

Using the edge of her boomerang, she sliced the masked enemy in half before going into step beside her mother. Minerva easily and innately slayed every enemy in her sight, her black hair billowing in the wind as she twisted around placing her twin swords in two masked ones before spinning around, beheading one and gutting the other.

It all came so naturally to her family while she struggled with it.

“We must find All Father, he is our priority!” The goddess of war ordered as she killed the remaining intruders, “I want every inch of this place covered; our king and queen’s safety is at risk. Tread carefully, our enemy is ancient.” The mother plucked a weapon from one of the slain, inspecting it with a frown. “May the All Father be with you all. Now go.”

Talen didn’t have time to wrap her head around as her brothers dispersed following the commands of their mother, noticing that her father, Aeron is nowhere in sight. She took steps towards her mother, “Mother-”

Those cold calculating eyes glided over her as a symbol of neglect. “You are no child of mine, you insatiable whelp. Go back to Midgard where you belong.”

Her lips quivered feeling her heart rip even further, rage could be felt; a thick lump developed in her throat as she stared at her blood covered mother, the same woman that gave birth to her and in some point in time gave her love, a sense of hope that her daughter would become something. Regardless of being disappointed, Minerva kept her in the family until her betrayal that was the final straw.

Taking a step forward, pulling her shoulders back, she inhaled sharply, “Then at least let me help, Asgard is still my birthplace.”

Minerva scoffed, heading out towards the home of the king and queen, Talen following behind her. The mother of Talen did not say anything as they fought together, keeping a clear distance of her daughter as they made their way towards the center. As they entered the golden halls, Talen felt the black blood seep through her clothing.

Her tired body screamed at her to stop, but her mind forged her to continue onward; with gritted teeth she pushed her legs to the last room that could have one of the royal family in. Talen halted in her steps as she saw Thor swinging his hammer out to the distance as Frigga laid there in cold blood. Minerva pushed her daughter’s shoulder to bring her back; the pink haired goddess hastily aided the queen.

In her hurry, her knees slammed onto the marble floor the skin screamed in agony as she focused on her hands, finding them glow in a soft green light before pressing it on the queen’s weak form. Usually the healer felt bones, skin and tissue mending underneath her hand.

Flesh is not mending, blood continued to pour and Talen’s frantic mind kept pushing on not realizing that Odin now knelt on the opposite side of her, holding onto his wife with a mournful face.

“Talen,” Thor saw the fear in her eyes, the determination to help his mother, her queen. Taking a long look at the broken goddess before him, her top mangled barely hanging on as her skirt is shredded from the bottom. Any wounds that might have been inflicted on her are healed partially, saving her energy on the most needed. Her hands covered in his mother’s blood, he took to his father’s side and grabbed onto her hands. “Talen, enough.” His soft broken voice lifted her head up, those grey eyes filled with sorrow and tears.

“There is nothing you could do. She’s dead.” His heart broke further watching her reaction, her eyes showing recognition that Frigga; the queen of Asgard is dead.

Her tiny hands shook beneath his as he pulled her forward, taking her into his embrace as she sobbed uncontrollably. Jane finally stepped out of the shadows, seeing the whole thing feeling horrible of meeting such a wonderful woman that saved her life that could not be saved herself. The mortal allowed Thor to console his friend, her brown eyes trailed to the other woman standing clear in respect for the family.

The goddess’s features stilled, blank and void except for her eyes that showed her despair. Jane remembered seeing the older goddess on the training ground when Thor took her around, curious as to the authority demanding woman, the prince indulged her explaining that is Minerva, one of the most trusted warriors of all of Asgard and Talen’s mother.

That took her by surprise considering how Talen is the complete opposite of this woman; Talen didn’t demand attention or authority, she stayed in the shadows unless needed and her soft voice soothed her patients. Minerva’s voice came with raw power that sent shivers down the mortal’s spine, still standing there only feet width from her she felt uncomfortable in this dark environment.

“You must be Jane.” A soothing silky voice came out of nowhere scaring the human as she took an uneasy step back to see a tall man standing with a kind smile. His grey eyes stood out proudly as his evenly tanned skin suited well with the armor that is worn on his muscled form. His smile reminded her of someone; his features reminded her of Talen.

Blinking, she noticed his hand is stretched out in front of him, she took it, and he lowered his head in respect. “Er, Hi.”

“I’m Aeron, Talen’s father.” Observing her curious look, her eyes flashed in recognition; everything now stood out to her, his mannerisms, his soothing aura and features were all the goddess of healing. “I wished to have met in different circumstances.” Jane spoke truthfully; Talen never spoke of her family back home except of her father, Aeron. If only for a few moments, she still had a better grasp of the god himself.

Aeron obliged, nodding. “Why don’t you come with us? The family needs to be alone.” His eyes flashed towards the family, Odin clutching on his dead wife even harder as Thor is consoling Talen’s gentle heart. A tear falling from his eye; he guided Jane towards the door when his wife voiced her opinion.

“Talen needs to come with us.”

“Not now, Minerva. We need to be delicate upon this situation.”

The goddess of war frowned finally showing some expression which threw Jane in for a loop how passionate this woman is about her daughter. “This delicate matter needs to be sent to Midgard with this youngling. Asgard is no place for them.” Aeron knowing more than his dear wife shook his head in disagreement.

“They need to stay here where it’s safe. Come my wife, now we must mourn for the dead.” Jane shyly glanced at the angry goddess, huffing at her husband’s calm nature, but took strides alongside the two.

Talen clutched onto the prince tightly as he took her something else; he could no longer stand looking at his mother’s dead body. The attack on Asgard forgotten in this moment in time as he pulled Talen away, his thumbs stroking her tear stained cheeks; her body leaned in for the comfort.

The goddess sniffled, “Y-you should be with your family.” Wiping away more tears that fell from her cheeks; Thor’s chest inhaled deeply as he gazed down at the fluff of pink.

“I rather be with you.”

He shouldn’t be here with her; she let everyone down. “Why?” Her voice broke. “Why would you want to be around the one person that is able to save people when I couldn’t do this one proper thing? I have saved so many lives over my lifetime, far more gruesome and life threatening and this—I c-couldn’t even do! What kind of goddess am I? The one that couldn’t save her queen, your mother. Why do you not hate me?! I wasn’t there! I sulked like a child when I saw you with Jane and seek comfort of my brother, far from where you were. If I was closer, this would have never happened. She would be alive right now! It’s all my fault!”

She sobbed, her head falling forward against his chest, heaving frantically to gather more air into her lungs. Her long pink hair cascaded down to mask her face further.

Thor listened to every word, guilt ripped through him as he cupped her face into his hands. “Talen, listen to me. This is not your fault. None of this is your fault. There was nothing you could have done; I was too late to save her. My mother died saving Jane that was her one purpose. She will not die in vain.” Her beautiful stormy grey eyes peeled open, redness around her eyes as he stroked her cheek lovingly.

“It hurts me to see you like this.” He murmured truthfully, the god froze when Talen wiped a tear that fell from his eye.

“Not as much as it hurts me to see you like this.” Her hands ran down his arms in a soothing motion, the prince taken by her gentle soul; he pressed his lips against her warm forehead. His heart skipping a beat when her nose grazed his chin when she peered up at him with a watery smile. “We must tend to Jane, make sure she is alright.” The magic around them is broken as Thor forced a smile.

Knowing that Talen is keeping her distance after all that he has done, his heart clenched as he spoke, “Yes. Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Talen. Nothing goes your way.

Thank you for the people who comment and read my story!

Dezi Demize

AcidStamps

misfitchild

Jayme112234

HotRanger69

MamaZ