Gentle Heart

Offer

Talen has always been a meek and quiet child since the day she was born. The pink haired child swung her skinny legs as she patiently waited for her handmaiden to finish braiding her hair. The young girl always loved fashion, taking quite a liking to it while her mother scolded her for liking far too much.

Minerva rather not deal with petty little things such as fabrics, lengths of dresses or even playing with your hair like a brainless nut. The five year old did wish many things and one of them is to have her mother do her hair even though the goddess of war detests such things. Minerva wore her hair simple, her clothes were simple, rarely wearing dresses or skirts. Her mother dressed more like a man actually.

Talen never understood that notion of dressing for practically when there are so many choices at their disposal. Her emerald colored dress brushed against her legs, humming the soft tune her handmaiden quietly sang along to.

“You’re already ready, my lady.” Hands quickly placed pins to hold her braided hair together as Talen gave a verbal consent knowing any movement might hinder her. When she felt a hand gently pat her shoulder, she knew she was released. Giving thanks with a hug, she wandered the halls.

This was a time when she was full of life, more so than she now. Talen now getting the beginning stages of her sparring with her mother, she didn’t think it would be too awful. Waking up at dawn, letting the cool crisp hair hit their lungs as Minerva instructed her how to handle the weapon having so much hope that Talen will be as talented as her brothers.

Having her third practice that morning, her body was a bit sore from the odd angles she was positioned in for sparring. She was so clumsy that the blade of the sword sliced into her cheek when she forcefully pulled back to swing.

Minerva not the fretful goddess at the sight of blood, calmly tended to her wound with little care. Now a square shaped gauze is taped onto her swollen cheek. She became a little worried that she can stretch the wound if she smiled not knowing if the cut is deep enough to do so. Still taking precaution, she ventured to the healer’s wing and they stitched her up.

Talen never felt different from anyone else. She thought her pale pink hair was what some Asgardians have given that her brothers have bright colored hair as well. But they were the only family to obtain such a feature and her physique is even more different.

Unique even as her brother, Vermundr nicely put it. Her innocent eyes glowed when she saw children her own age playing together, but remembering her mother’s lecture of playing with anyone lower than her status she will be severely punished, she withdrew. She knew she was dancing on a fine line when it came to her mother, desperately wanting to please her for she wasn’t the child that her mother wanted.

Her mother wanted another boy, another warrior, someone that is reckless or tactical, and someone that belonged to war. Talen knew the moment she gripped her first sword that she did not belong in the battlefield, but she tried.

She has been trying and she will never stop simply because she wants her mother to love her or possibly learn to love her.

Staying in the sidelines, twisting her skirts around her fingers she observed the children recognizing one of them as the prince of Asgard. She did not know where the other prince was, curiously looking around for him to see the timid child on the opposite end of the courtyard in the same position as her.

Her shyness suddenly consumed her as she made eye contact with, Prince Loki. Offering a smile that came out as somewhat of a wince, Loki offered a small smile back after a moment.

What Talen didn’t know was the effort Frigga put into introducing the two of them at a tender age. Loki always felt lonesome whenever his brother, Thor wandered off with his group of friends and even when he joined that particular group they never truly included him. Thor tried his best from time to time, but his attention span was not the greatest.

He would leave Loki out for most of it, just like now.

So when Loki would be sulking, confiding in his mother that he loves so dearly, she gave him words of encouragement, “There is someone like you out there.” When he asked who it was, she only smiled, “It won’t be so difficult to find her.”

Loki didn’t know what that meant until later on, curiously staring at the girl with pink hair. He has seen her before—with a large family of seven if he counted correctly and her being the only female offspring. He doubted she was lonesome, but seeing her bracing herself, chin on her knees gazing at Thor and the others with a longing expression, maybe it was true.

For a second he considered walking over to speak to her, then it decided not to. What if she was just as mean as the others? What if she doesn’t like me?

It took him a serious amount of time to think things through noticing the similarities between the two of them that considered them outcasts. They are both pale, small for their age and fragile, only because she has a bandage on her cheek. She is quite odd looking, hair a shade of pink he only sees in flowers, chubby cheeks that rounded her face while the rest of her body is gangly.

Still he would glance at her from time to time, when they made eye contact they would turn away, blushing. It would take several months before Talen finally built up the courage to walk to the other side of the courtyard and introduce herself.

Loki sat there flabbergasted as the young girl closer to his age curtsied as she said her title. Her hands now clasped tightly together as she nervously waited for his permission to accompany him.

“P-pleasure to meet you.”

A sweet, innocent smile graced her lips as she mumbled, “The pleasure is all mine.”


She couldn’t believe what she was hearing, from the moment she agreed to listen to Thor’s plans she never thought it would be something like this. Is he seriously considering defying his father in order to save Jane? The reckless side of him is no surprised, but “To bring in Loki? Do you not remember what he has done?”

“I remember vividly what he has done, but he is the only one that I know that has access to such worlds. What do you think he has been doing after he has fallen from the bifrost? He has been wandering on his own.”

He did have a point, but the god of mischief is gifted in many ways of lying. Pursing her lips, she remained unsettled by the choices that the prince is making. “As much as I would like to place my faith upon Prince Loki, I do not trust him.”

The golden god hated the frown lines that creased along the edges of her lips, making her appear older. For once she mirrored features of a mortal than a goddess of the realm of Asgard; he did not understand how she cannot see the beauty that radiates around her. When she gives him her company, he always felt much more at ease, confident in his decisions, but when she doubts…

His large hand cupped the side of her pale flushed face, smiling on the inside when heat emitted from her cheek. Her grey eyes flickered towards him with uncertainty and bashfulness as he kept his gaze on her. “Neither do I, but what choice do we have? No one knows the Dark World except for him. Will you assist me? With Jane?”

Her heart dropped at the sound of the woman’s name; what would she think of her when she sees her? Would Jane reject her? Offer hateful, spiteful words maiming her in every verbal word possible? Nothing seems certain as she ponders with guilt on her shoulders.

“I—only if you insist on my assistance.” Giving in to his command when she thought of ways to say no, but who else would help retain Jane of the Aether decided to act upon itself? Despite her not having that much knowledge of the relic, it did seem as if the Aether did not oppose her like the rest.

Talen felt the butterflies’ pool in her belly when his hand reached her shoulder giving a soft squeeze, “Thank you.”



Her heart rapidly thundered against her chest as her hands shakingly gripped the hood of her cape, pulling it forward to hide her face. The long black cloak billowed at her ankles, swaying with the wind as she calmly walked down the corridors hoping she did not draw too much attention. She is to meet Thor near the library, no one is around there at this time of night and from there they would gather with the others.

Talen edged her pink hair under her hood so none of it showed, a downside of having such obvious hair. Keeping her head tucked in, she scoured the areas when she turned every corner with a soft click of her heels echoing behind her.

When she saw the familiar bulky figure of Thor, she sighed in relief when he turned around. When he did so, an impossible event happened. As if she tripped on thin air, her feet stumbled forward causing her to speed forward creating loud echoes around the hall. Thor winced as he quickly grabbed her to cease the noise.

A smile threatened to appear on his face imagining the deep red cheeks that possibly is on her beautifully pale cheeks. “Sorry.” She muttered, gathering herself on her feet and fixing herself properly.

“It’s alright. Let’s get going before someone sees us.”

This time, Talen followed without making much of a sound.

The pink haired goddess surely felt out of place when she sat next to Thor and Fandral on the other side of her while the small group disputed what should be done. When Thor offered his idea, as expected everyone refused it. No one should trust, Loki they say. He will surely deceive everyone on sight.

“And to take Talen with you…that is an element I rather not see again.” Fandral honestly piped in when his eyes lingered on the small goddess who meekly sat there twiddling her thumbs. With her face tightly bound away from her face, it was difficult to hide her emotions when she glanced up in surprise when the flirt of the group gave this comment.

Most of the group agreed, with Sif adding, “We all know that Talen will not consent aid, Loki, but he might take her as an advantage again when he sees fit. She’s quiet, passive and not so strong-willed. She shouldn’t be around, Loki under any circumstances.”

“She stays with me. Talen is to take care of Jane until the Aether is extracted—you doubt her talents and will. If you think she did not have a strong will then she would not be alive. She is the best healer I know and also trained by one of the best warriors in Asgard, truly do you think of her as a burden?” Thor narrowed his eyes at his friends, irritated that they were fighting more against Talen simply being around Loki than his brother being set free.

“It has nothing to do with that.” Volstagg crossed his arms as he gazed at the goddess of healing. “But it has everything to do with the marking Brigsamen left behind. None of us have much information of the effects after she was free from the bindings of the relic and if Loki knows a way to possess her again…” He paused watching the guilt ride Talen off in waves.

Hesitation bit her tongue as she glanced around the room that grew quiet, remembering the chaos that she created a century ago with Loki. Nibbling on her bottom lip, she pulled her feelings off to the side before feeling a warmth on one of her hands. When a squeeze came from her right, she realized it was Thor holding her hand underneath the table.

“He won’t. I won’t let him.” Thor refuted vehemently.

Sif countered, “You won’t have a choice if he does so. Thor, it’s too dangerous and you cannot vow with empty words that none of this won’t happen.” The only female warrior attempted to be the voice of reason, wanting Thor to see their side, but he flatly refused to do so. She noticed that Thor has gotten closer to Talen over a length of time, taking care of her once she was released to now.

There is something going on between them, she could feel it.

“Then you will have to take that risk with me. Talen’s needed.” It seems no one has much say knowing everything they were doing is a dire risk to save Asgard and Jane. Talen didn’t think she would be one of those risks.

As Thor walked through the corridor that led to the dungeons, Talen felt the fear stick to her bones as she lingered a few steps back. Everything came back to her in shocks, being tied, chained, tortured and mistreated. Her long pink hair flowed behind her back in waves since the braid was giving her a splitting headache.

“No harm will come to you, I assure you.” Thor’s booming voice broke through to her as he stood there at the door waiting for her to come back to reality. When she did, she realized that she stood a good measure away from him, feet planted on the ground and desperate to turn the other way.

But those piercing blue eyes always captured her. So trusting and loving, taking a deep breath she slowly walked in as she cascaded down the steps. The same ones she used when bound and chained for her punishment. Her hands shook underneath her long sleeves once she reached the bottom of the staircase, waiting for Thor.

Talen refused to go any further without the prince by her side and even then he gripped her waist and brought her along with him. Eyes darting to each prison cell, most of them are empty. Wanting to look elsewhere and not wanting to encounter Loki has been proven difficult when his voice pierced through her.

“I see you finally decided to pay me a visit after all these years, brother and Talen…” As if his voice twisted her head back into position to meet his gaze, she froze in fear. “I am a little surprised to see that you are here with this oaf. Is this why you are here? To gloat? To mock that she is standing there and I am in here?” His rage seethed through the cell and into her soul, wavering her thoughts.

Naturally she took a step back, the brothers noticed, one smiled delightfully as the other frowned in concern. Thor’s voice broke through Loki’s rage as he demanded him to stop. “No more illusions.”

That did not make sense for her as she found herself looking up to see the Loki standing tall and pristine disappear. It was replaced by a disheveled god, his hair wrecked like hers has been when she was imprisoned, clothes ripped and dirt beneath his feet. Furniture that he was blessed with was destroyed, mangled with pieces randomly in the cell.

What surprised her is his face. Bloodshot, tear streaks on his cheeks looking completely heartbroken? Can she say that? Talen has not been around Loki enough to know his magic and deceit like Thor, but she does remember multiple times being around him, trying to comfort him. There was a moment in time when they were considered friends, but that quickly dissolved.

This appearance reminds her of the time she found him, a tender age of ten crying and heartbroken that he felt so different than the rest. She wanted to do the same thing she has done before, her hands itched to reach out to him taking that innate step forward as sympathy and understanding pushed forth.

Thor stopped her from proceeding, giving her a knowing look. One that acknowledges what she wanted to do, but cannot.

“Did she suffer?” Those green eyes narrowed upon the goddess as she remained still. Her heart beating faster at the memories of what transpired. “Are you not the goddess of healing? Did you not fulfill your duty to save my mother? Was this revenge? Tell me, Talen! Did you do this on PURPOSE?!” He roared, gripping a piece of a chair throwing it across the cell towards her.

Talen gasped when the wood sizzled before landing on the other side of the room. Tears threaten to spill as he continued, blaming her for not saving his mother on time. How can she not come to Frigga’s aid?

“ENOUGH!!” Thor snarled, sparks flew as the brothers glared at one another. “She did everything that she could to save her…it nearly destroyed her doing so.”

“Then she should have done so.” Loki’s poisonous words resonated with her as a tight grip on her lungs continued making it harder to breath. Clutching her chest, she fell to her knees, shaking in despair. “Mother used to talk about you…such praise for a fragile little thing, a gentle heart that supposed to save the world. The goddess that will surpass all magic healing to create her own. A healer that can mend bones, diseases and perhaps mortality, but look at you. Sobbing like a sniveling quim that has nothing to offer. You are nothing, you mean nothing.”

It did not matter that Thor tried to stop him because all she heard was his voice. Every single word coming from his lips and to her ears.

“We did not come here to point fingers, Loki. I am here to extend an offer of a greater value that would interest you greatly.” For a second, the god of mischief gazed upon his brother before retreating to the corner of his cell.

“Whatever you had to offer, I do not want. What I want is her death and I know you are not going to grant me that wish because you have particular feelings for her.” Breath was stolen from Talen as she focused on the god within the cell. How did he know? A sly smirk graced his lips, “The scenario of ‘saving’ your pet while dangling another beside you is not appealing to me especially if you offer me vengeance because the one I bestow upon that is Talen not the dark elves.”

Pursing her lips, she shook her head before getting up on her feet and racing out of the prison with Thor following her quickly behind as Loki burned holes into the goddess’ back knowing she will be back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Apologies for the long way. I have way too much going on right now and within time I wrote a few things and changed it. I didn't want everything to go according to plan with the movie, so I thought maybe Loki having a bitter resentment towards Talen and refusing to help? Some outcomes might be the same, but the journey will be different.

Hope you like the changes and I threw a little flashback of Loki and Talen. She knew Loki a bit better than Thor during their childhood years. This chapter is for Dezi Demize since I feel so bad that I have made you all wait so long.