Status: Active

Beneath the Bright Blue Sky

Chapter 1

I let out a relieved breath as the cool air in the big stone building embraced me. It's just what I needed after the scorching sun that had been beating down on me. My steps echoed off the high white walls which were already darkening with age. The familiar colorful glass-paintings looked down on me, giving off a dull, golden light like always at this time of the day.

I reached the front row of benches and sat down, placing my backpack in between my legs as I looked up at the biggest glass picture right in front of me. Over it was the picture of an angel, floating high in the clouds.

That was actually the only reason why I believed in God and came here every day. No, not the picture. But Angels. Yes, I believe in Angels. I used to really believe in God and everything that belongs to it but that was when my mother had still been alive.

She had been the best woman on this earth. Always cheerful with a smile on her face. She would help anyone in need; no matter if it was the snobby, rich neighbor who was only trying to disgrace her or if a useless, shabby beggar who held his hands up, pleading for a dollar or two. She had believed in the good in everyone and had never done anything to hurt anyone. The only thing that had mattered to her was love and kindness.

I had tried to keep her beliefs alive in me but I just couldn't love that God that took the only family I had away from me. Why I believe in Angels then? Because my mom was one of them. She couldn't just be dead. She was up there in Heaven. The most beautiful Angel ever to have been alive and the best. She looked down and helped people in need. She was happy up there because Heaven was like paradise and she could help people all over the world. That's why I believed in God. That's why I always came here. I knew a lot of people here and they were all nice to me.

The priest would always talk to me and pray for my mother and I. He knew pretty much everything about me. I had told him about my mother a few years back. I regretted it for a while but then I realized that there couldn't be a better person to tell than him. Not that my mother was a secret.

A lot of people had known her. Actually, I could even say everyone knew her. How could someone not know such a nice woman? And they all heard the news when she had died. They had all tried to comfort me. But how should I be comforted? My mother didn't deserve to die.

I fought against tears and bent my head so that my hair fell into my face. Clenching my fists and biting the inside of my cheek helped to keep them back.

She hadn't been the only one who had died. 17 peopled had died in that accident. And they had it all on tape from a security camera. It was nothing more than an accident...

I jumped as a hand suddenly weighed down on my shoulder. I blinked a few times so that my eyes weren't moist anymore and then looked up into the wise priest's kind face. His understanding eyes rested in mine and he didn't need to say a word. Enough conversation had passed between us before. I smiled back at him, relaxing again and he nodded, continuing down the aisle.

I looked back up again to the angel at the top.

I still miss you, Mom.
I wish you were still here. We could've done so many things together still. You would've teased me about trying to look good in front of the girls and I would be embarrassed in front of you more and more.
I know that Heaven must be much better for you though. You deserve to be there. This world is too cruel for a person like you. I don't have a bad life here. Sebastian and Mathew are awesome parents. Of course, they could never take your place but I think things are much better this way. You're much happier there and I'm alright here. Maybe, one day if I'm worthy of it, I will join you there in Heaven. I hope so. Until then...
I love you, Mom.

Finishing my speech for today, I picked my backpack up and made my way out of the church. I groaned when the crushing heat enveloped me again. I had completely forgotten about it. Well, at least the shops were air-conditioned. If they weren't, I probably would've quit the job I was heading to right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! This chapter was written by scrx9d and there's a lot more to come! Comment and subscribe to help the process alone! (: