Status: Awesomeness

Morphing River at Twilight

Part 1/2

Once upon a time, there was this mystical river that, if touched, could trap its prey and keep them captive. The sorcerer in charge of this river was not an evil man but sometimes took his revenge too far. He was called many names but the one heard most was Rothbart, who was skilled in the art of telekinesis. What he didn’t know was that revenge seeking is not the right answer.

“Ugh. Just look at that.” Lily, the most popular girl in her school, was picking on another new kid. “Just look at her hair. Did she decide to wear her bed head to school? And what is she wearing, clothing from 5-7-barf?”

The poor girl scampered away, almost in tears, but not before saying, “You should be nicer. One day this will nip you in the butt.”

Lily laughs. “Yeah, when pigs fly.” Lily laughs with her group of popular friends then walks out the door to meet up with her boyfriend.

But instead of seeing him, she runs into…

The mouse ran as fast as he could. He could not be hurt, he was too quick, or at least that is what he told himself. He couldn’t stand being a mouse. Every day he wished to just be the same boy he was before the curse. But Rothbart had caught him in his trap and now only true love could release him. But where could he find that? No one had talked to him before the curse. Who would want to talk with ‘mouse-boy’? He hid in his shelter, just waiting for the sun to go down.

“Oh hello.” Lily says, trying to work her charm on this mysterious, handsome fellow.

“Are you Lily?”

“Yes. And who are you?”

The man grabs her hand and drags her into the woods as the sun starts to set. Lily is shocked at and curious about this man. The sun finally sets as he stops. He turns to her.

“From now on you will be gifted with the form that is your true form.” The man sprinkles this magic dust on Lily and she starts shifting, changing into a wolf.

‘What did you do to me?!’ Lily tries to fight through the pain, but ends up scratching her face with her claw hand.

“You are now what you are inside. A wolf that has to live off what they can find and learn to work with others. Unlike the person that you are, this wolf will be kind spirited.”

The transformation finishes and Lily is now a lean, white wolf.

‘What is your name?’ Lily thinks, knowing he will hear her.

“My name is Rothbart. Now I must bid you ado.” Rothbart disappears in a puff of smoke and Lily is left alone, as a wolf, in the middle of the woods.

Marty stretches out his arms. “Boy, am I glad that it is nighttime again.” He walks outside to go walk in the woods. He stops when he hears a noise. “Who’s there?” He asks, uncertain about what his ears are warning him about.

Out walks this whitish-yellowish wolf. Marty marvels at her beauty. Lily stares back at him. ‘How can he not be scared of me?’ She thinks.

Marty jumps back. “What are you?” He asks, wondering who spoke those words in his mind.

‘You can understand me.’ Lily thinks, her tail thumping against the ground.

“I guess, if by understand you mean that I can hear your voice in my head.” Lily howls in excitement. “What are you if I can hear you?” Marty asks this mysterious wolf.

‘My name is Lily.’

“Wait Lily? You mean the same name as the meanest girl at Woods Brooke High?”

‘That hurts, okay? I didn’t really think I was that mean.’

“Who did this to you if you are a wolf now?”

‘Some weird guy named Rothbart.’

Marty says under his breath “Rothbart.”

‘What has he ever done to you? You seem like he has made you mad for some reason.’

“I… can’t tell you right now. Can you meet me here at sunrise? It would explain itself to you.”

‘Okay…’

“Marty. Sorry for not telling you earlier.”

‘It’s okay. See you here at sunrise Marty.’ The wolf smiles and then runs off into the woods.

Lily emerges out of the woods as her normal self once again but feels a stinging in her right cheek. “Ugh. Why did I have to do this?” She rubs her cheek and waits for Marty to arrive. He comes walking up. ‘Wow. Even though he seemed kind of nerdy last night, he is actually kind of cute.’ Lily thinks.

All Marty can think is ‘Will she still be the same as she was last night and not reject me for what my curse is?’ “Hey Lily.” Marty says, smiling at the almost perfect girl.

“Hey Marty. So what exactly did you want to show me?”

“Just wait a few moments and you will see.”

Lily sits down on a rock nearby and waits. The sun rises higher in the sky.

Marty feels his transformation coming but yells at Lily. “Now you will see what I am!” He changes into his mouse self and runs over to Lily.

“Aw! You are so cute!”

‘Yeah. That is not what I would call it.’

“Were you worried that I would be freaked out that you could turn into a little mouse? That is nothing compared to me.”

‘Oh yes it is. This is worse.’

“How can it be worse than being a wolf that prowls at night, always a hunter?”

‘Try being the prey. Well I must be off Lily. See you later.’ Marty goes running off to his house.

Over the next 3 weeks, Lily and Marty kept meeting each other at dusk and dawn. That very dusk, everything would change.

‘Where are we going?’ Marty asks, still a mouse.

“Somewhere I found while running through the woods.” Lily says, not wanting to give away the surprise. They finally arrive at their destination and the sun sets.

“A river? What is so special about a river?” Marty asks, even though the river is a beautiful site.

“I thought it would be nice to be here for the short time that we have together.” Lily twines her fingers with Marty’s. Over the past few weeks she has really started to fall for him.

They walk to the edge of the water and Lily sticks her feet in the water. As her toes touch the surface, this huge wave comes up and grabs Lily.

“Wait… what?” Lily says as the river drags her off.

“NO!” Marty screams, trying to grab Lily but misses. “What did I do to deserve this?” Marty says to himself.

“For being such a selfish boy.” Says a deep voice, not that far away from Marty.

Marty whips around to find the person who sounded very familiar. “Rothbart?” Marty asks, shocked that he would be there.

“Well hello there Marty. So nice to see you.” Rothbart answers, smiling at Marty.

"What did you do to Lily, you despicable fiend?” Marty growls at him.

“Me? I didn’t do anything, but my river did.” Rothbart says very slyly.

“Your river? What does this river have anything to do with you?” Marty asks, very confused.

“Anyone who touches the river gets trapped until someone completes 3 challenges assigned specifically for them and they can save them.” Rothbart explains.

“So if I do my special three trials, I can save Lily?” Marty asks.

“Yes. Now I will describe your trials.” Rothbart closes his eyes for a minute then they snap back open. “I’ve got it. Your first trial is… a simple task really.” Rothbart uses his powers and turns Marty back into a mouse.

‘Really? I already have to be this during the day, now I have to permanently?’

“Only if you fail the trials Marty. Complete them and you save the girl and both of your curses will be broken. Fail them and Lily will be trapped forever and you will stay a mouse. Do we have a deal?” Rothbart asks.

‘Deal. I will do anything to save my Lily.’ Marty replies.
♠ ♠ ♠
here is part one of two.
this story was written by both me and prickly vines but I will be posting both parts. Hope you enjoy.