Army Of Me

What's The Matter, Mary Jane?

RAIN - I'd stormed out of there, making as much noise as possible as I smacked lockers and various metal grates with my hands. Fucking Fury for fuck sake why I was even employed here any more was an absolute mystery. My breath became more rapid and it started to sting my throat when I inhaled.

"Don't get yourself worked up, Rain." Clint muttered, following me at his own much more relaxed pace. Easy for you to say, beaky... No. Bad Rain. No. Stop being mean to Clint. He was the only person who I made sure I was nice to on a regular basis, kind of like being friends. Well, exactly like being friends. Not just "work friend", but "I kind of like who you are when you're not working friend". Which was rare for me, I only had him and Charlie outside all this SHIELD bullshit that would put up with me. "Eyas, your asthma's bad recently. Please."

I turned to stare at him, leaning against a locker.

"Sorry."

I stared at him for probably longer than I should have, recalling the days when I'd had a huge crush on Clint Barton. Upon finally meeting him I was much too embarrassed about it and now he was more like an older brother kind of figure. Once you went to the friend zone with Clint he accepted that and moved on and enjoyed your friendship. Didn't ask for anything less, anything more. But hell, I told him more than I told Charlie and Steve.

After finding him perched on a ledge high, high up in the tesseract room that I'd never noticed before, I started teasing him about it being his nest. Shortly afterward it became known as The Hawk Nest and he'd take me there when I wanted to talk to him and he wanted some extra target practice. Obviously all the other agents down in CT took this as code for "Yo Rain, my room's that way." and we were followed once or twice but their suspicions where noted as so, so the wrong end of the stick. But a few months later I was put on permanent with Steve and I had a lot less free time. Which sucked, but well. Shit happens.

"What's up with you recently, any way? You seem all jumpy and angry about training." he said gently, a small sigh escaping. He was so damn concerned all the time. I hated him worrying about me but he got away with it because, well, it was him. A cough made my throat ache, my lungs becoming a little restricted. Fucking asthma. Leaning forward a little, hoping it would subside.

"Just tired. My training hours are a lot longer right now, I'm not getting enough sleep." I mumbled, staring at the floor. And other stuff too but you're gonna have to pry a bit more to get that out of me. Or ask me later when I'm half asleep as you usually do. Bastard. That's taking advantage.

"Is that all?" he asked, eyebrows raised and looking unimpressed that this was my only excuse. He would stare me down until I answered. Fine.

"Just stuff, I guess." I frowned, folding my arms and looking away from him once more.

"Like... Scott stuff?"

Ugh. I didn't meet his gaze, just nodded a little, my eyes not leaving the floor.

"I'm sorry, Eyas." the archer muttered, pulling me into a gentle one armed hug before letting me go. "Come on, CT. Steve might have actually realised you're not there, you know."

"No you won't. Meeting, ten minutes. Don't be late." Nick said firmly as he walked past. Clint and I both shrugged and exchanged a glance before following Fury down the corridor.