Status: one-shot

The Boy From Sault St. Marie

The Boy From Sault St. Marie

June 26th, 2004,
I don’t remember ever feeling more nervous then I was at that moment when the draft started, and I wasn’t even the one being picked. I sat next to my boyfriend, Tyler Kennedy, as his gripped my hand as tight as humanly possible and the names started to be announced. ‘And now we wait’ I thought.
Round 1: done
Round 2: check
Round 3: that passed too
Finally Round 4, Pick number 99: “The Pittsburgh Penguins select from the Sault St. Marie Greyhounds, Tyler Kennedy.”
The anticipation surrounding him crashed down as I looked over and never saw him smile as bright and as wide in all the years I knew him. He gripped me in a hug and than moved on to the rest of his family. We all watched in happiness as the boy from Sault St. Marie graciously accepted his jersey.
-_-_-_-_-
Before the 06-07 season,
I remember the day he ran up to me and planted an earth-shattering kiss on my lips, he was happy.
He was ready to be a “Baby Penguin”
I, on the other hand, wasn’t ready for him to leave, for him being taken from me. I tried to hide it as much as I could and just support him.

Because that’s what girlfriends are supposed to do, right?

The night before he came to say his final goodbye was when I told him how scared I was, he promised me that we could make it, that we could make it through the distance.
We tried, or at least I did, but he got so busy and every time we both had time for one another, it ended in a fight. It caused so much stress between the both of use, we just stopped talking. It killed me but I knew it was better for the both of us. Even when he came to visit, we would maybe speak two words to each other. It felt like my own personal hell. I missed him every hour just a little bit more. Through all the separation and heartbreak I convinced myself that I would always be in love with the boy from Sault St. Marie.
-_-_-_-
June 12th, 2009,
I sat there, time seemed frozen as everyone around me celebrated.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have just won the Stanley Cup, he had just won the Stanley Cup. It felt like I was the only one who in the room, I completely shut out the celebrations around me and focus on the one down at the ice.
He won it, the whole thing, he worked up for this one moment.
My mother finally broke me out of my trance and hugged me tightly. “He did it” she whispered in my ear. I pulled back, smiled, and nodded as tears of overwhelming happiness started to escape my eyes. His mom, who decided to stay here instead of taking the trek to Detroit, patted my hand lightly and gave me a warm smile.
“He’s still crazy about you, you know?” she said. I just simply nodded again, not sure how to take in all the emotions at once. It’s a rush, that feeling of love, you really can’t describe it until you feel it. I composed myself and turned my attention back to the TV just as the boy from Sault St. Marie took the cup in his hands and kissed it with those same plump lips that used to kiss mine.
-_-_-_-_-
March 20th, 2012
His mom convinced me to come with her to Pittsburgh, after a lot of convincing, I finally agreed.
“He’s not excepting you,” she beamed, “I hope he’s surprised.” I smiled at her obvious hints that she wanted us back together. I was wearing an old greyhound jersey of his, one I was probably supossed to get back, but never did..
The team come out for warmups and I watched from the family box. Suddenly his face was shown on the jumbotron and my breath caught in my throat. He still look like the same boy that left all those years ago, his mother laughed.
“He hasn’t aged a day it seems.” I nodded in agreement, after a little break of silence I asked,
“Have there been other…you know…girls since me?” it was a question trying to escape for a while, but the answers I was afraid of receiving always held me back.
She smiled brightly and shook her head, “Not really no, there was one, but she only lasted about 5 months, I only met here once.” she assured. I sighed, feeling somewhat relieved.
’Maybe he’s just as miserable as I am…’ I thought.
The game ended with a win 8-4, but most importantly Tyler had 2 goals. I felt proud of him, maybe he can finally finished what he started last season.
As we waited for him in the Family box I wanted to run for it, his mother was standing in front of me so when he came in he wouldn’t see me. I heard his voice before I saw him.
“Mom!”
“Oh Tyler, honey, congratulations.”
Suddenly my palms were sweaty and I wanted to be invisible, I wasn’t ready for this at all, what do I say? What do I do? All of this was running through my mind I didn’t even notice a figure the stood in front of me.
“J-Jill?” he said. I haven’t heard that name pass his lips in so long, it almost sounded foreign. I looked up and sheepishly smiled, “Hi, Tyler.” I stood up so he wasn’t towering over me. He smiled, grabbed me and pulled me into him, he was still a bit sweaty but I honestly didn’t care. I missed the protection of his arms so much I didn’t want to ever let go.
“I’ll just leave you two to talk, I’ll be outside” his mother said.
I was still wrapped in his arms not at all willing to let go.
‘It’s been 6 years for fuck’s sake, I need this’ I thought.
We finally broke apart. His face bursting into a smile, but it quickly faded and he took a step back.
“Uh, so Jill, why are you here?” he asked. Ouch. Okay yeah that kind of hurt. I shook it off.
“Your mom was begging my to come down with here, see you play.” I explained, he nodded, still looking a bit uneasy. I sighed.
“Look Tyler, I’m sorry, for everything. I’m sorry things didn’t work out for us, as much as we both wanted to, I’m so-”
“No stop, you really don’t need to apologize, we both made mistakes, it’s water under the bridge, I’m willing to start over if you are.” If I am. I’ve wanted to start over since the last fight that finally broke us up.
“Tyler, I wanted to pick this thing up where we left off.” I answered, a sly smile spread across his face.
He started to inch closer to me, my heart speeding up with each step.
“Jill?”
“Yeah?”
“I never stopped loving you.” he whispered in my ear, sending chills down my spine. I’ve been waiting to hear him say that for God knows how long.
“I never stopped either.” I replied, my mind turning to mush as soon as his hands found my hips.
And for the first time in almost six years, we kissed, time stopped and I wanted to stay in this moment forever. We finally broke apart and he smiled down at me.
“Nice jersey.” he smirked, I laughed.
“Thanks.” I simply replied and crashed my lips onto his again.
Finally, things seemed to be alright between me and the boy from Sault St. Marie.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you enjoyed!