Status: Active- Please comment!

Timing Is Everything

Bachelor Life

James Neal sat amongst family and friends at a new steakhouse in Pittsburgh. The place was called RoxForce. It was a classy place, but was trendy enough that James didn't feel out of place. The tables and chairs were made out of mahogany. The booth benches were made of leather, coloured red. There were hanging lamps coming down from the ceiling that were dimly lit. Some tables even had candles lit.

James was so happy to have his family with him in Pittsburgh again. They had been there a few weeks ago, but he had needed them for support every now and again. They would come down for the weekend or a few days just to keep him company and to keep his head in the game. To thank them for making the trip to Pittsburgh he decided to take them out for a nice dinner.

James wasn't even paying attention to the people around him and his group. He was focused in on the conversation at his table. The only thing that pulled him from his conversation was the sound of a woman yelling.

"Radio!" She yelled and walked towards their table. The Fergie song playing softly in the background was soon cut short.

"Good Christ, I hate that song." She stated, placing napkins down on the table. The group let out a collective laugh at the woman.

"Hi, guys. I'm Roxy and I'll be your waitress tonight!" She smiled, looking at everyone at the table. She kept her gaze on James a little longer than everyone else.

James couldn't help but stare back and notice how beautiful this girl was. She was small, in every sense of the word. Short and thin, almost scary thin, but he didn't think anything of it what with the way that red dress clung to her. She was pale with a beautiful complexion. Her hair was a dark brown, almost black. It was pinned back in a chignon and her lips painted a bright red. James found her alluring.

"Can I start you guys off with some drinks?" Roxy smiled, readying her pen and notepad.

Everyone ordered some drinks and then Roxy left to go behind the bar to fill their drinks.

"Jay," His mother smiled, nudging him. "She was definitely checking you out."

"She's just being nice," James laughed. "Wants a good tip."

"I don't know," His mother grinned, watching as the girl walked over. "She's really pretty, Jay."

"Yeah, she is." James nodded.

"Okay, guy in this white dress shirt and the red tie over there? Hot," Roxy smiled as she made drinks.

"That's James Neal," Her coworker, Anna, stated.

Anna was like a sister to Roxy. They had been friends their entire life.

"Is it really? He looks different off the ice," Roxy smirked, finally recognizing who the man was. "Much sexier."

"Down, girl." Anna laughed and walked off.

Roxy got the drinks all on a tray and walked back to the Neal party. She handed them out and took their food orders. She continuously made eye contact with James Neal. She liked him. She thought he was very attractive and quite well spoken.

His hair looked thick and soft, she kind of wanted to test it out and see if it was true or not. She knew his hair was kind of a "trademark".

"This is a little unprofessional of me, but congratulations on your six year contract, Mr. Neal." Roxy stated softly to just James, a small smile on her lips.

"Thank you very much," James smiled, looking up at her. "But 'Mr. Neal' is that old guy right there. Call me James."

Or anything you want, I'm not picky.

"Of course," Roxy smiled. "We're all looking forward to seeing much more of you here in Pittsburgh."

"Thank you. I appreciate that," James smirked at her. Roxy nodded and walked away to the kitchen to check on their food.

"Can I have him for my birthday?" Roxy asked Anna as they met up in the kitchen.

"Neal?" Anna laughed, leaning against a wall so she could look at the Neal table. "Aren't you a little out of his league?"

"Okay, maybe. But he's just so sexy," Roxy sighed, watching him interact with his family.

"Well, stick to fantasizing. That's all you're going to get from him," Anna smirked and handed Roxy a few plates of food.

"I can deal with that," Roxy grinned mischievously, carrying out the plates.

After dinner the Neal party paid, this time James and his father splitting the bill, both leaving a generous tip to their waitress. James leaving about a $20 tip, much more than he needed to, but he liked her. She had been nice to him and his family.

James and his family drove back to his house for the night. As his parents turned in to bed, using the upstairs guest room, James walked to his bedroom. He sighed as he closed his door.

Most of the time James enjoyed the "bachelor life". It suited him well simply because he never left a woman at home, therefore he never felt guilty for his job. He did miss coming home to someone, sharing his funny stories with or sharing his frustrations with.

Sometimes he'd image what it would be like to have a beautiful, loving woman to come home to after a long road trip or a long day at practice. She would run to him and jump in his arms, wrapping her legs around his waist and tell him how much she missed him. He would find a place to sit her down, be it their bed, a countertop, or the couch, and kiss her to let her know he missed her too.

This thought didn't occur a lot. James loved what he did for a living and put a lot of effort into it. A relationship wasn't something he needed at this point in time. He was content with the way things were. Hockey was what he was in love with and what he needed to focus on. He liked it.

Most of the time.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here's that new James Neal story I promised you forever ago! Please let me know what you all think of it. I'm still working out the kinks, but I think I have a pretty good idea of the direction I want it go in!