Status: Active- Please comment!

Timing Is Everything

Leave the Past...

"Let me drive you," James ordered as they both ran around the bedroom, putting on clothes.

Roxy's father hadn't given anymore information, even when she called him. He had just ordered her to get to the restaurant and that they would discuss it there.

"It's okay, Jay. You don't have to get involved in this stupid Malcolm bullshit," Roxy mumbled, pulling a shirt over her head.

"I hate to be the one that tells you, but I'm pretty sure this Malcolm bullshit is happening because of me," James replied, grabbing his car keys. "So I'm coming with you."

Roxy didn't want to fight about it, she just wanted to get to the restaurant. James led her to the garage and sped out of the driveway, through the cul-de-sac and towards the main streets.

They got to RoxForce in record time. Roxy hopped out of the car before James had even put it into park. He got out and ran after her.

"Dad! What the hell?" Roxy yelled, running to the back office. James followed her, standing close.

"Ask him," Roxy's father mumbled, pointing to Malcolm.

There he sat in the corner of the office with his arms crossed. He had a smug look on his face as he stared at Roxy. When James came into view the smugness faded and turned into anger.

"What is he doing here?" Malcolm asked, pointing to James.

"Making sure you don't put your hands on her again," James replied quickly. He glared at Malcolm and made sure Malcolm knew he meant business. He wasn't fucking around here, not today.

Roxy cut them off before her father asked any questions about that comment. This was neither the time, nor the place.

"What do you want from us Malcolm?" She asked.

"He's trying to sue me," Her father replied. "Says that I stole his recipes."

"You can't do that," Roxy stated, glaring at Malcolm. "You signed a contract when you started working here that says anything you come up with and bring to the restaurant's attention is property of the restaurant if we put it on the menu. You cannot sue us."

Malcolm knew this, he was completely aware of this. So why was he doing this?

"You're threatening to sue her father so you can get back at her for being with me! You just wanted to see her again!" James spat, stepping closer to Malcolm. Roxy put her hands on his stomach and made sure he wouldn't go after Malcolm, as much as she wanted to see James beat up Malcolm right now she wouldn't put that on her father.

"You're a child," James scoffed at Malcolm. "You would actually threaten to sue the man who gave you your career because you were engaged to his daughter? You're just upset because she's with me now and not you. Grow up,"

"You're the one who slept with an engaged woman!" Malcolm yelled, standing up and going face to face with James.

"Engaged, not married. She was never yours, and to be honest, she probably never would be. If it wasn't me, it would've been someone else," James replied.

Roxy cringed at James' words. She knew that he was probably right, but she didn't like hearing him say that about her. She had changed since being with him. She had no desire to be with any other man. She only wanted James.

Roxy looked to her father who was completely lost at that moment. He knew who James was, but not why he was with his daughter. He knew that Malcolm and Roxy had broken up, but not because she had cheated on him with a Pittsburgh Penguin.

"Here's an idea," James stated firmly and meanly. "How about the next time you feel like talking to my girlfriend, you call her instead of threatening to sue her father. You know that you wouldn't have won either way. This was a stupid plan to make sure that Roxy came down here to talk to you. You are a sad and pathetic person and I'm glad she cheated on you with me."

Roxy wasn't sure who James' words were supposed to hurt. She knew that they were intended for Malcolm, but a part of her felt like they were meant for her as well. The fact that he kept bringing up her cheating was like him jamming a knife into her stomach, inch by inch. Sure, she knew what she did was wrong. She knew that she shouldn't have done it, but if she hadn't, she wouldn't be with James and they wouldn't be in love and happy together. She'd be stuck in a rut with Malcolm and would have married him simply to keep her family and his happy.

She was so happy and in love with him, and she wished he knew this. She wished that he understood the level of how much she loved him. She wished he knew that she would never do anything to jeopardize their relationship. She had figured out where she wanted to be in her life, and it was with James.

"Stay away from my girlfriend and her family," James ordered firmly. James took hold of Roxy's waist and kissed her temple, mumbling that he'd be in the car.

"Mr. Force," James nodded as he left the office. Roxy's father slipped out the back door, leaving Roxy and Malcolm alone for the first time since their breakup.

"I can't believe that you would do this, Malcolm." Roxy mumbled, leaning against the wall and crossing her arms. "You can be a prick to me, that's fine, but my dad didn't do anything to you."

Malcolm sat in the chair on the opposite side of the room, sulking like a child. He wouldn't look at her, he wouldn't even acknowledge that she was there.

"I understand that what I did was wrong," Roxy sighed, finally saying the things she knew she should have. "You didn't deserve to be hurt like that, and I'm sorry that I hurt you, but I love James. I think that he's the person for me. I apologize for hurting you, but I don't apologize for doing what I had to do to be happy. Maybe it wasn't the kindness or classiest of ways to go about it, but that's how it happened and I'm sorry that it hurt you."

"Mac, you can't possibly think we would've been happy together. We're far too much alike and we would've resented one another. I was already starting to resent you," Roxy admitted. "I thought that it would've gone away, but it didn't. I didn't expect to actually fall in love with James, but I did. I want to marry him."

Malcolm sighed heavily and rubbed his face.

"I'm sorry," He mumbled. "I am just so angry at you, Roxanne."

"I know you are, and you have every right to be. But don't take it out on my dad, Malcolm. That was so uncalled for," Roxy replied. "All he ever did was treat you like a son and give you a job. He didn't deserve the threat of being sued, Malcolm! Do you even realize how scared he must have been just then?"

"I'm pretty sure he's going to jump me on my way out," Malcolm nodded. "If your boyfriend doesn't do it first."

"Jay wouldn't do anything," Roxy replied with a small shake of her head. "Though he is very convincing."

"Did you see me shaking?" Malcolm smiled softly.

"I figured you might be! He can be intimidating," Roxy laughed.

It felt good to be able to laugh with Malcolm again. She felt nothing for him in a romantic way, but she didn't want to leave things in a negative way either. She knew this didn't make up for what she did, but she hoped that maybe she cleaned up her mess, just a little.

Malcolm and Roxy said goodbye, giving an awkward wave and then parted ways for good this time. Roxy walked out to the parking lot where James stood, leaning against the Benz.

"Are you all right?" He asked, walking over to her quickly and taking hold of her face.

"I'm just fine," Roxy smiled softly, putting her hands on his sides.

"What happened?"

"We just kind of talked it out. I called him out for being a prick to my dad and I apologized for hurting him, but not for falling in love with you," Roxy smiled.

"I love you, too." James smiled, kissing her forehead. He was relieved that things had gone well. He hoped that this would be the last they would see of Malcolm. Forever.

James helped her into his car and they drove back to his house.

"So that was definitely a good first meeting for you and my dad," Roxy smirked as they walked into the house.

"It could have been worse," James smirked, pressing her up against a wall. "He could've walked in on us having sex."
♠ ♠ ♠
James Neal is destroying me with all these sexy pictures lately. I could not help myself. I miss and adore that man far too much.