Status: Active- Please comment!

Timing Is Everything

Obligations

After a long day at work filled with stares and questions to who "James" was, Roxy went home to her house. She tossed her keys on the table at the front door and let out a loud sigh. She kicked off her high heels and hung up her jacket before going on the search for Malcolm.

"Malcolm?" She called, walking through the house. She walked into the kitchen seeing him at the stove cooking- same as always. She walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his back.

"Hey, hun." He smiled, putting his hands on her's. "How was work?"

"Long," She sighed, shutting her eyes tightly. "Is there wine?"

"There's white wine chilling in the fridge," Malcolm laughed, giving her hands a pat.

Malcolm was a beautiful and amazing man. Roxy knew she didn't deserve him. He was tall. Probably the same height as James, but he was blonde. He had fabulous green eyes and the most beautiful smile that Roxy had ever seen. Malcolm could have been a model, Roxy totally believed that. Instead Malcolm was the head chef at RoxForce.

Roxy loved Malcolm, but she had a wandering eye and she followed that eye a lot. Roxy knew that she didn't deserve Malcolm, but she would never leave him. He never gave up on her and she didn't know how he did. She didn't know how he loved an adulterer who refused to grow up and stay committed.

Roxy and Malcolm had met through their fathers. Their fathers had been childhood friends who were reunited in Pittsburgh a few years ago just as Roxy was entering college. Malcolm was about three years older than Roxy (and a year older than James). They had met at Roxy's parent's anniversary party a few years back and hit it off. They had gone a few dates and really liked one another. Malcolm had proposed to Roxy on her 21st birthday.

"What are you making?" Roxy asked after she poured herself a glass of wine.

"A new stew recipe," Malcolm smiled. "I'm trying it out and then going to let your dad try some, see if the restaurant will put it on the menu when we change it up."

"It smells amazing," Roxy smiled. She was always so proud of Malcolm. He was such an amazing cook.

"I never got to ask you how that Penguins event went the other night," Malcolm stated after a few minutes of silence. "How did it go?"

"It was good," Roxy stated, nodding. She tried to keep herself from going rigid at the mention of the Penguins. Malcolm didn't even have to say his name, but her mind immediately went to James. Her mind went James' face, hands, body, and mouth. Among other things.

"Everyone had fun?" Malcolm asked. "Did you get to meet any of the guys?"

"Yeah," Roxy nodded. "I met them al,l but I got to talk to Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Staal, Kunitz and Dupuis."

"Were they nice?" Malcolm asked, grabbing bowls from the cabinet overhead.

"They were really nice guys," Roxy nodded. Some nicer than others.

"That's good," Malcolm nodded. He held a bowl full of stew out to her and smiled. "Try."

Roxy took the bowl from him and tried the stew. She smiled and nodded. "It's really great, honey."

"You think so?" Malcolm smiled.

"It's incredible," Roxy smiled. "My Dad will love it."

Malcolm sighed with relief. He was always very self-conscious about his food, especially when presenting it to Roxy's father.

The rest of the night was spent with Malcolm and Roxy watching television. More specifically they were watching the Penguins game. Roxy had always liked watching hockey games, but tonight she was really into it. Her eyes were also glued to James.

"Come on, James." She whispered watching him skate across the ice towards the net. "Go, Neal!"

"Since when are you so into hockey?" Malcolm smirked, watching his fiancé.

"I guess just because I met them," Roxy laughed softly, shrugging. "It's difference since I worked for them and met them, you know?"

And I slept with James Neal.

"I guess that makes sense," Malcolm laughed, rubbing the back of her neck. Roxy sighed and leaned back against him. She felt comfortable against him, but her stomach was alive with guilt.

The only reason Roxy regretted sleeping with James was because she was engaged to Malcolm. She was ashamed to admit it, but Malcolm hadn't even been a thought in her mind that night. Not when James had gotten close to her while they were outside, not on the drive back to James' house and certainly not once they were in the house.

Later that night while Malcolm went to bed early, Roxy stayed up working more on the anniversary party and watching the rest of the game. James had scored a goal. Approaching midnight she decided to go to bed.

She grabbed her phone off of the coffee table and created a new message.

I got your flowers today. They are beautiful. Thank you! Great game tonight, by the way.

She sighed and hit send, sending it to James. She carried her phone upstairs with her and put it in her purse. She walked to the bathroom and got ready for bed before climbing into bed with Malcolm.

....

On the other side of town James Neal pulled into his garage and got out of his car. He walked through the door that lead into the house from the garage and pressed the button to close the door. He walked into his silent house and went straight for his closet to take off his suit.

James sighed as he changed into his sweat pants and a Penguins t-shirt and crawled into bed. His muscles relaxed as he quickly started to drift off to sleep. Just as he was teetering on the edge of sleep his phone vibrated on his nightstand. He generally would have let it go, but it might have been a member of his family congratulating him on his goal.

He squinted against the light, reading the text.

I got your flowers today. They are beautiful. Thank you! Great game tonight, by the way.

James smirked. "About time."

Thanks! I'm glad that you like them. Took me forever to pick those flowers out! When can I see you again?

James sighed happily and put his phone back on his nightstand. He knew that his gesture with the flowers would make her contact him again. He thought he was being so smooth and good with this situation with Roxy. He was surprised with himself.

He nestled back down into his bed drifting off to sleep with hopes of finally getting to see Roxy again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks everyone for all the support you're giving this story! I'm so happy people seem to really like it! Please keep giving me your feedback, I love reading it!