Fragile Hearts

No Longer Friends

Kasey stares at the white spaghetti strap bikini, scrunching her nose when she gets the sinking feeling that the skimpy outfit is mocking her. At twenty six, she still felt her shoulders were too broad, her collarbone stuck out like she had an appetite problem and her hip bones were too gawky.

Not a fan of lying around in the sand half naked for boys and men to ogle at, she thought she had ditched the beachwear for good after her teens.

Yet here she was. Standing in front of the only full-length mirror in the apartment with a less than pleased look on her face.

Even Tess stops to gawk as she catches Kasey while she casually strolls by.

“Whoa. Uhm… what brought that on?”

Kasey fiddles with a loose string by her thigh.

“Or should I ask who?”

The brunette runs her fingers through her dark hair, biting her lip.

“Ah.” Tess nods.

It was partially true. Kasey gave Brian a few days to calm down from the dinner and he inevitably called back with an apology and another request. Kasey only leaves out the part that she’s had the suit since she was nineteen.

“I’ve been meaning to ask, what do you think of online dating?”

Kasey raises an eyebrow, unsure of how or where to begin. “Seriously?”

“What? It wasn’t like- okay, fine. I was thinking about it. But yes, seriously. I’m tired of looking. I just want to find someone who won’t screw me over in the end.”

“Then go for it. But haven’t you ever heard the saying that you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince charming?”

Tess sighs. “Easy for you to say.”

Kasey frowns, thinking of Val. Wondering if there were any men before Matt or if it was always him.

Kasey pulls on an old top and jeans, nodding. She had never really considered online dating herself. But then again, what had she considered after all the shit she’s been through?

“Have fun with your prince charming today,” Tess winks slyly, disappearing from view before Kasey has a chance to retort back.

The ride to the beach is silent when Brian picks Kasey up. It hurts a bit, Kasey wouldn’t lie about that, but she doesn’t want to push anything.

When the bike pulls up against the curb and the engine is cut, Kasey hops off, eying the beachhead uncertainly. It looked as if all of California had decided it was a good day for the beach as well. Her shoulders slump, and she debates the possibility of making up some sort of skin disease where she doesn’t have to take off her clothes.

“Ready?” Brian asks, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

“Yeah.”

A dangerously competitive game of Frisbee is just being started when the two make it to the group. With a cautious look around, Kasey notes that Michelle and Beau are nowhere to be seen. She’s able to relax a little until Brian tugs at her shirt.

“You’re not gonna stay in those clothes all day now, are you?” He smirks, taking off his own shirt.

Kasey gulps, trying not to make it obvious that she’s staring.

“Because you’re getting wet either way.”

“Oh really?”

Brian winks before Leana saves the day. “Don’t you dare.”

He rolls his eyes. “It’s all in good fun,” he says before jogging off to join the other boys.

Kasey slowly peels off the oversized t-shirt and shorts, cringing at the fact that her skin is so pale it’s reflecting the sun.

“I need to tan,” she mutters to herself, following Leana over to the girls.

“Hey, Kase.” Val smiles.

Kasey opens her mouth to speak, but before she can, something hard hits her in the back of the head.

“Sorry about that!”

She looks around, rubbing the back of her head to see Johnny cringing, the purple Frisbee lying on the ground next to her. Matt and Zacky try not to laugh, and Jimmy is already yelling obscenities for her to give it to him.

“Don’t give it to him, Kase,” Brian says, already trying to pry the disk from her hands after she picks it up.

“Kasey! I’m open!”

“Please babe?”

“Don’t give it to Jimmy,” Lacey giggles.

Kasey can feel her grip on the Frisbee loosen and Brian’s smile grows. “C’mon.”

Suddenly, his lips land on hers and she lets go completely.

As soon as she does, he’s sauntering off with the disk, waving it in Jimmy’s face. Kasey stands there, dumbstruck with lips still tingling.

“Kasey! We are no longer friends!” Jimmy’s voice pierces through her head. “You are dead to me!”

The girls all laugh as the game resumes for the next hour until the guys either admit fatigue or grow bored.

Kasey can feel the sun burning into her skin and hopes it’s working to make her skin darker.

“Kase?”

She opens her eyes, focusing on Brian’s outstretched hand.

“Wanna get something to eat or drink?”

“Sure.” She hauls herself up, raising her eyebrows when Brian takes her hand to lead her along the beach.

As soon as they’re out of earshot, Brian apologizes.

“They were looking.”

“Oh.”

“And I’m sorry about- you know,” he breaks off with a grin. “You were so close. I thought you needed a bit of persuading.”

Kasey shakes her head with a laugh. “You could’ve just asked.”

“Honestly, asking wasn’t the first thing that came to mind.”

“You obviously have your own way with the ladies,” Kasey jokes.

“That I do,” Brian agrees before his smile falls. “Ice cream?” He asks quickly.

“I didn’t-”

“My treat.”

Kasey starts to open her mouth in protest, but a long, slender finger closes it.

“Don’t make me kiss you again,” he says with a smirk.

Kasey can’t help the stupid grin spreading across her face as he drags her to the cart. She knows she’s dangerously close to kidding herself at this point, but she just brushes it off, telling herself to enjoy it while it lasts.

Ice cream in hand, they walk farther and farther away from their little group. Their hands fall apart, and the silence settles between them like the two strangers they are.

“Look, I know it seems like I’m always apologizing for stupid shit, and I am,” Brian finally says. “But I shouldn’t have been that harsh on you at dinner.”

Kasey shakes her head. “Don’t be, I under-”

“Don’t say that,” Brian snaps. “I was being a total douche. You shouldn’t have even agreed to coming today. I wouldn’t have if I were you.”

The brunette just shrugs. “I don’t half-ass things. And I don’t quit on people. Unless they break a rule.”

“And I haven’t yet?”

“Being nice isn’t exactly something I expect, Brian. Not from a client or their friends, family, whatever.”

“That must suck.”

Kasey nods. “It did. Now that I look back at it, the money wasn’t even worth dealing with those bastards.” She focuses her gaze on the sea until a hand gently wraps around her arm.

“Want me to take you home?”

Kasey laughs nervously, trying not to notice the serious furrow in Brian’s eyebrow.

“Are you trying to get rid of me? You’re not the worst I’ve had to deal with.”

Brian smiles. “So I’ve been told.”

“So, what are you two lovebirds talking about?” A soft lisp comes up behind them, startling Kasey.

Brian pushes Jimmy back with a laugh. “What the hell, you stalking us?”

“Maybe,” the blue eyed man winks. “ I’m just coming to say that your presence is now being sought after. Zack brought out the surfboards.”

Brian just rolls his eyes. “Son of a bitch will never learn. We’ll be there.”

Jimmy jogs off again, leaving Kasey blushing a fire red.

“What?” Brian questions.

“Do you think he heard-?”

“Oh,” he laughs. “Don’t worry about Jim. He knows. He actually came up with the idea. Our secret’s safe with him.”

Kasey nods, and Brian’s arms wrap around her shoulders, pulling her closer to his side.

“Do I want to know?” Tess questions with an eyebrow when Kasey teeters through the door hours later, a stupid grin plastered all over her face. Brian, being ever the gentleman, had driven her home, leaving a kiss on her cheek before letting her go.

“Nope.”

Kasey notices her friend’s smile falter. “Do you like him, Kase?”

“What? No. Of course not. It’s just business.”

“You’re not getting paid. And yes, you’ve given me that whole ‘he’s super nice so I’m gonna do it out of the goodness of my own heart’ spiel, but seriously? I’ve seen the way you look at him.”

“Why do you care?”

“Because he doesn’t look at you the same. I don’t want you to get hurt, that’s all I’m saying.”

Kasey sighs, nodding. “I know. Thanks, Tess.”

She knew he didn’t look at her the same way she, admittedly, saw him. He was damaged goods still pinning for his ex. That’s why she was being careful. She always was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I'm terribly sorry for the long wait. I didn't want to update until all my candy bowl requests were done, and they took forever. They're all 1D except for one, We Were Young, which is focused on Jimmy if you want to give it a read.

I hope this chapter makes up for it, since I probably won't be able to update until next Friday/Saturday earliest because I have a few big school projects to focus on.

Thank you guys for all your comments, they make me smile :)