Fragile Hearts

Poor Bastard

Brian is half past dozing off in the recliner when his cell phone rings, playing the opening riffs of Metallica's Enter Sandman. He stirs, disorientated with the unconsciousness still clinging to the back of his mind.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Brian?"

Brian bolts into a sitting position. "'Chelle? Baby, where are you? It's been two fucking weeks."

"I- I know. I'm sorry. I've been at Val's. And Matt's."

Brian clenches his jaw. That son of a bitch. He knew Matt wasn't telling him something- hell, he knew it was probably about Michelle being there, but this, seriously?

"You know, you could've just told him to tell me to give you some space. Not have my best friend lie to me."

He grabs his car keys, rushing for the door.

"Bri, can we just talk about this?"

"Yeah, when I get to Matt's."

"I don't think that's-"

Brian hangs up, slamming the car door beside him as he revs the engine.

"Thanks for lying to me," he hisses when Matt opens the front door.

Matt doesn't say anything for a few seconds, just looking shocked that Brian is on his front doorstep.

"Let me in."

"Bri-"

"I know she's in there, Matt! Just let me in!"

"It's okay, Matt," Michelle's voice comes out in a soft whisper behind the large man.

Matt gives Brian a wary look before stepping aside, allowing him to pass through.

"We should, um, go into the living room and sit." Michelle suggests quietly.

"Hey Brian," Val greets, wrapping an arm around her sister's shoulder as they sit down on the love seat together.

Brian doesn't say anything as he sits on the couch, opposite Matt.

"I'd like to know what the hell is going on here, 'Chelle. You owe me that much."

"I just needed some time to think. To sort out my head. I'm sorry I got you worried and worked up."

Brian just shakes his head silently, in disbelief, waiting for her to continue.

"It's just that... I- I met someone."

The guitarist's head snaps up, eyes wide. "What?"

Michelle stays quiet, tears pooling in her eyes.

"You're cheating on me?" His body tenses.

"No! I- give me some fucking credit here, Bri. It's complicated."

"I've got time," Brian smiles tersely.

"He's a mechanic. I met him while you were on tour and my car broke down."

Of course, Brian's head quickly calculates back to that time, rubbing more salt in the wounds. "That was six months ago," He states.

"Yeah, I- I thought it was nothing at first, you know? I could tell he liked me, it was obvious, and then he saw my ring, and he backed off. After that-" Michelle breaks off suddenly, shrugging.

"So you let him fuck you at the mechanic shop?" Brian cuts in angrily.

Michelle bursts out crying, and he immediately feels awful, shrinking back into the couch feeling a lot smaller.

"Fuck you, Brian," Val snarls, curling protectively around her twin. "She didn't let him touch her."

"We only went out for drinks, as friends," Michelle gasps between sobs. "He nearly had to bribe me to go with him. After a while I just realized I liked him a lot. But I never did anything with him, I swear."

Brian gets up off the couch, squatting down in front of his wife to wipe her tears away gently. He kisses her nose, then her lips as a sort of apology, willing to forgive. "It's okay," He whispers. "I still love you. We can handle this together. Just don't run off again like this, thinking you can't tell me anything. Okay?"

Michelle shakes her head. "Bri, don't do this. Please."

"What?" Brian's eyebrows crease in confusion.

"I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry. I love you, I do. But not the same way you love me."

"Well then why the hell did you marry me in the first place?" He hisses, quickly starting to fume again.

Michelle shrugs. "I- Matt and Val were together. I thought it'd be cool, you know? Dating my brother-in-law's best friend. And then it got serious. I know, I was stupid. I shouldn't have done this to you."

Brian clenches his jaw, wanting to take his anger out on the closest thing to his fists. He gets up, leaving the room swiftly. Matt follows him to the front door.

"Dude, look-"

Brian's knuckles crack against his nose.

"Ow, mother fucker!" Matt cups his nose, squinting to see past the moving white and black dots in front of his eyes.

Brian clenches his fist, ready to punch his best friend again.

"Okay, I deserved that," Matt confesses. "For not telling you she was here, but dude, believe me. I didn't know why she was camped out. I'm about as shocked as you right now," he says honestly.

Brian runs his hands roughly through his hair. "I can't fucking believe this. This is fucked up."

Matt sighs. "I know, man. I feel you."

"Does this mean she wants a divorce?" Brian asks suddenly, in all seriousness.

Matt looks at him sadly, all he can think is 'poor bastard'. "If I said I think so, are you gonna punch me again?"

Brian just shakes his head, opening the front door to walk out.

"If you need anything let me know, yeah?" Matt calls out after him.

"Yeah, sure."

How about convincing Michelle that she's not 'in love' with some random mechanic she met while I was on tour? Brian thinks bitterly to himself as he slams the car door shut.

He can't even think about what happened in that house not ten minutes ago. He doesn't want to let it sink in. Not just yet. Not ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
A big thanks to JustThinking and ToTheGrave for commenting last chapter :)

I didn't want to have Michelle be a total bitch, I like her too much for that.

I'm still unsure of whether to put Jimmy in this story or not. I know, stupid question, but I don't know yet. We'll see.

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter :)