Window Seats

On Favorites

Vincent held onto the small clear box holding some pastries as we walked through the almost deserted streets and made our way towards my flat. We had spent the remainder of the night in the so called ‘manly’ decorated living room watching all their favorite movies from what they called, ‘the magnificent and glorious 80’s’. Back to the Future, Beetlejuice and The Labyrinth—in which Levi decided to make fun of David Bowie’s appearance.

“Look at him! His trousers are so tight! I don’t know how that man lives, that’s probably why his hair’s like that. From all the pain he’s enduring!”

Jay had left in the middle of Beetlejuice without any questioning, only to come back at the beginning of the Back to the Future with a bag full of pastries. Chocolate cake, pie, and cookies and of course tiramisu were inside the bag—he claimed no one’s birthday was complete without something sweet. He decided to bring all the cookies and pastries for himself.

“I hope you enjoyed your night,” he said quietly, he grabbed my hand in his as we waited at an intersection. “Even if it was with some idiots you met a few hours ago, Jay and Levi, that is, instead of your friends”

“It was fine,” I answered. “They’re actually pretty funny, and anyone who buys me that many pastries is automatically on my good side. I should also be thanking you for coming to the party and then taking me out of it.”

“Well thank you for inviting me,” he said and squeezed my hand.

I nodded before saying it wasn’t a problem. It really wasn’t, and even though I didn’t spend my birthday with my best friends and around people I had known for years I wasn’t sad or disappointed. I had a good time, a much better time than the one I would have had if I had stayed hidden in my balcony. For that I was extremely grateful.

“Sounds like the party’s still going full force” he commented as we made our way up the two flights of stairs to my flat, the wooden steps creaking underneath out feet. “You won’t be able to sleep tonight.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, Roy kindly offered to let me stay in his place tonight,” I said as we walked through the empty halls, the sound of music growing louder and louder. “Conveniently located across my place.” I smiled as I jingled the keys in front of his face before unlocking Roy’s door. “Unfortunately he didn’t feel the need to clean up after himself.”

“It’s quite alright” he took off his coat as we stepped into Roy’s warm flat, “you should see the mess Jay and Levi make sometimes. It looks like a tornado tore that place up sometimes.”

I laughed as I turned on Roy’s coffee machine, “I’m guessing you’re not part of this mess making. You can turn on a show if you’d like, or put some music on. I’ll make us some coffee.”

He nodded before walking out of Roy’s small kitchen into the living room where although everything was a mess there wasn’t a single movie or record out of place. They were all placed in neat rows next to his television and oddly place fish bowls. He looked through the extensive collection of records, records we both had bought since we were fifteen and kept together, nodding his head as he passed the sleeves of records he liked.

“I dedicate this song to you” he said as he began spinning a record on Roy’s old record player in his living room. As soon as the song began playing I began laughing. “It’s a birthday song,” he smiled.

I shook my head as I placed the two cups of coffee on the old wooden table and took a seat next to him. “I’ve come to wish you an unhappy birthday cause you’re evil and you lie?” I questioned as I pulled my knees to my chest on the small couch. He smirked before shrugging his shoulders.

I shifted myself so I was looking at him directly. His fingers were tapping along to the sound of The Smiths on his black jeans. Tattoos were peaking out of his burgundy t shirt, some script and birds on his left arm and the beginning of an animal could be seen on his neck. Hs hair was placed haphazardly on his head, the brown strands coming and going every which way as he gently bobbed his head.

“What?” he asked as he turned towards me.

I shook my head and smiled, “Nothing, I forgot the tiramisu. Nothing goes better with coffee than tiramisu. Before you stay any longer, I feel the need to interview you.”

“Shoot” he said as he grabbed the plate of tiramisu off my hands.

“How old are you?”

“Twenty seven, you’re obviously twenty three.”

“What do you do? I mean job wise or something.”

“My uncle, Levi’s dad, owns a shop. I do the numbers for him,” He laughed as he explained and then shrugged. “It’s sounds boring, I know.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “better than running around and getting coffee for your boss/friend as part of your work agreement.”

“Probably is,” he answered before standing up and turning the music off. “Favorite book?”

“The Master and Margarita,” I answered quickly. “You?”

“The complete works of Edgar Allan Poe.”

I rolled my eyes at that, “really?”

“Carry around my old copy of the works wherever I go. Don’t worry, Annabel Lee isn’t my favorite. The Black Cat is.”

The conversation went on for an hour. We asked each other every question, favorites to least favorites, as the night grew darker and our eyes began to droop. His hand ran through my hair as I laid on the black couch, my hair fanning all around my face and over his thighs.

“Song?” I asked as I looked around the room and my eyes landed on the stacks of records.

“Abattoir Blues by Nick Cave.” He raised his eyebrows expectantly.

“Dreams, Fleetwood Mac”

“That’s a nice song” he commented.

I smiled and nodded my head before Vincent grabbed my hand stealthily. “I should probably go, it’s getting late,” he looked the watch placed around his thin wrist. “I’ve got to get back to Levi’s or he’ll send out a search party for me, he still doesn’t believe that I know this place as well as I do.”

I nodded my head before standing up with him. I yawned loudly, the late hour the conversations and walk had brought us to finally hitting me. “I’ll see you some other time then,” I opened the door quickly and gestured towards the outside. The loud and obnoxious music from my flat could still be heard.

He nodded, “yeah, some other time.” We hugged, his hands wrapping around my waist and mine going over his shoulders. Before he let go he placed the chastest of kissed on my mouth before squeezing me in his arms one last time and taking off, not bothering to look back or acknowledge his actions.