Window Seats

On Peppermint Tea

Lady nuzzled against my legs as I woke up. The previous day had been hectic, Jane hadn’t been joking when she said there was probably going to be a lot of business. The shop was full almost the whole day, I had to run around frantically while trying to get every customer what they wanted.

“Whoa Bells!”

I dropped my toast as I turned around, I didn’t remember letting anyone in or anyone sleeping here. I clutched my hand to my chest as I could feel it drumming quickly, in front of me was Roy, spinning his keys between his fingers.

“What are you doing here?” I asked as I sat down and placed my forehead on my palms.

“I’m out of food. You should really get dressed when you wake up” he said as he took a seat in front of me.

“Go buy some groceries then” I said as I threw my hands up, “and you shouldn’t be in my apartment at six forty-five in the morning if you don’t want to see me in my knickers. Who even gave you a key?”

“I would, but coming over here and seeing my best friend is much nicer. About the key, I have my ways. You really shouldn’t be parading around in just that”

“You shouldn’t be here. Don’t touch my food, or anything for that matter. I’ll be back” I said as I walked to my bedroom.

I mumbled to myself angrily as I quickly put together an outfit for the day and gathered everything I needed for the day. Roy began shuffling around in the small yellow kitchen as I walked out of the room. He quickly pulled out the chair in front of my food and sat down in front of me.

I sat down stared at Roy, my breakfast suddenly didn’t seem to appealing. He cradled his head in his hands, a childish pout placed on his mouth as he batted his long eyelashes. I rolled my eyes as I waved him off, telling him he could eat what he wanted.

“Thank you” he squeaked as he rifled through my cabinets and took a bite of my toast.

“I’m leaving” I said as I placed some food in a bowl for Lady, “Lock up before you go.” I added before I shut the door.

I can’t honestly say I trusted Roy to be in my flat, alone. He was a big idiot most of the time, I was just hoping I wouldn’t have to go back to some charred remains of my apartment. There was no way for telling what could be wrong if Roy was left alone.

I sluggishly walked to the nearest seat, it was quite empty so it wasn’t too hard. My fingers drummed slowly on my chin as my eyes began to close some, I felt extremely tired and the soft swaying motion was lulling me to sleep.

I looked to my side as I felt someone sit next to me. There was Vincent, slumping forward and playing with a lighter. He got out the tiny notebook I was now accustomed to seeing.

Are you feeling okay? I read as soon as it got into my lap. I shrugged my shoulders as I looked over at him. He looked tired from what I could tell, his eyes weren’t as lively as they usually were, either he was tired or he was getting the before symptoms of a cold. His neck was covered by a thick scarf but a tattoo was peeking out from beneath, on his frame was a black jacket that seemed too thin for the weather we were currently experiencing. He motioned to the note again and I handed it back to him.

What’s wrong? I shrugged my shoulders again.

He nodded his head and bent one leg over the other as he began writing another note.

Have you eaten?

I shook my head as I remember the toast I had left for Roy and my stomach let out a loud sound..

That’s why, I’m taking you out. another tiny note said, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He nodded his head and smiled as I looked over at him. I shrugged my shoulders calmly, while inside I was running a frenzy trying to figure out why I had just accepted to go out and eat.

Vincent gently shook my shoulder as we got to wherever we where to get off to go and eat. I quickly stood and began dialing Jane’s number.

“Hello, Jane. I’m going to be a bit late” I said as I heard Jane pick up.

“Why?”

“Some things got in the way, I have to go. I’m sorry I’ll be there in about forty minutes” I said and hung up before she could answer me.

I looked over to see Vincent chuckling, between his teeth was a cigarette as one of his hands cupped it and the other lit it. My heels clacked on the pavement as we walked through the crowded streets. Vincent motioned me to follow him as he opened the door to a cafe.

“I’ll have some peppermint tea and a muffin” I said as I pulled out some money from my bag.

“Black coffee” I heard Vincent say.

I was shocked when I heard him speak, I was half expecting him to write his order out. His voice was deep and raspy and made it painfully obvious that he wasn’t from around here, possibly American. He smiled lightly as I tried to pay the girl in front of us for my drink and pushed my hand away as he paid for the both of us.

I quickly sat down and wrapped my hands around the cup, loving the way it seemed to just give me its warmth. Vincent sat in front of me, his fingers drumming on the wooden table.

“Hi” I smiled. I had no other way to initiate conversation, and I was secretly hoping me saying something would lead us to talk instead of writing.

“Hey” he answered “Are you feeling any better?”

“Yes, I think it was hunger” I answered as I smiled and took another sip of the peppermint tea.

“That’s good” he said as he sipped his coffee.

“So are you going to tell me why you keep on insisting on talking to me?” I asked teasingly, even though I knew I should have asked it straightforward.

“All in its proper in time” he answered, a wide grin appearing on his boyish face.

I sulked in my seat after he said that, my mouth set in a frown. He laughed once he saw me finish my tea and muffin and cross my arms over my chest.

“Come on, let’s go. I promise I’ll tell you soon” he said as we walked out of the small café.

“Okay then” I answered.

“Goodbye, I’ll see you some other day.” He said as he turned around.

“Wait, you’re leaving me?” I asked incredulously, “So you just bribe me here with breakfast and then abandon me?” my arms flailed wildly around me as my bag came crashing at my feet, “I can’t believe you”

He laughed at this, his laugh was low and quiet, but it seemed like the loudest noise at that minute. He pushed his hand through his hair as he calmed down and walked towards me, his hand going towards my bag which I had forgotten had fallen to my feet. His eyes met mine again before he chuckled and handed me the bag, “I’ll see you some other time yeah?” he asked before he turned around and began walking away.

I shook my head as I began walking to the nearest station.