Window Seats

On Birthdays

I sighed as I woke up and untangled by myself from the cocoon of covers I had nestled it. After two day of being at home and not working I was absolutely dreading going back to work. I was sure to be swamped with people coming in and out of the store and Jane wanting me to go fetch her blended coffee. Roy had also decided to keep me up all night by not going back to his and playing his music way too loudly next to my bedroom.

I kicked Roy as I walked towards my bathroom; he was sprawled out on the floor on various blankets. Making himself perfectly at home at the foot of my small bed.

“Fuck Bells, I was having a good dream” he muttered as he rubbed his eyes sleepily against the harsh lights.

“You can’t just be staying here all the time, you don’t let me sleep” I replied as I brushed my teeth, white foam making its way out of the corner of my lip, “Your flat is right across the hall.”

“But yours is much nicer” he whined.

“Come on, I’ll make you some tea or coffee” I extended my hand and pulled him up.

“You’re fucking amazing Bells” he said as he trailed behind me. I nodded my head as I began making him coffee and tea for myself. “Now, let’s get down to business Bells” he started.

I rolled my eyes, something completely unnecessary was most likely going to come out of his mouth.

“As you know, our birthday is in a week and a half. Nine days to be exact. December 11th is only nine days away.” I sait down and folded his arms in front of him, trying to imitate a professional stance, “We need to begin planning what we’re going to do to celebrate.”

“I rather not celebrate my birthday, I don’t see the point in it” I said as I handed him his mug, a white mug with I heart New York written on it. A souvenir he had brought me from his trip to America but had never fully given up his ownership of it.

“But come on Bells” he started whining, “You’re turning 23, some cultures consider that to be an extremely pivotal birthday, you have to celebrate!”

“What cultures have you been reading about?” I scoffed as I grabbed creamer and sugar from the kitchen table.

“Fine, I lied” he raised his hands, “but come one. We have to celebrate, I’m turning 24 and you’re turning 23. If we celebrate we can get gifts for our birthdays and for Christmas.”

“I’d rather not” I mumbled. I just hated birthdays, they were nothing but an extra day passing in the year. The idea of celebrating getting older was something I just never understood. Maybe because my dad grew up with the idea that they were pointless and so I grew up never celebrating my birthday. Since meeting Roy eight years ago he’s insisted on celebrating my birthday, it didn’t help that we shared the day.

“Stop being so mopey and let’s just have a party. In fact, I’ll plan it and pay for it. You don’t worry about anything my little carrot.” I rolled my eyes at his dumb nickname and cursed the day I decided to dye my hair a shocking shade of red. The only form of rebellion against my father that didn’t include needles.

“It’s still not funny when you call me that.” I quickly moved towards my small bathroom to start getting ready for work. “Aren’t you supposed to be going to work or doing something useful?” I called out as I grabbed my clothing and proceeded to layer it on.

“Nah” he yelled over the running water, “I’m meeting Allison later, Clark’s covering me”

“Make sure to invite Allison to this party,” I said as I walked to the kitchen and grabbed my oversized bag, “and don’t invite your brother Clark to this. He’s such a creep”

“Just because you called him that I’ll invite him!” he laughed.

“Don’t burn my kitchen down Roy” I rolled my eyes before walking out the door.

The air was nipping at my exposed arms and nose as I tried to walk as quickly as possible to make it out of the cold weather. I rifled through my bag before grabbing my iPod and putting on Morrissey. I sighed heavily as I stepped on the train and saw there were no empty seats. I hummed along to the song as I stood with my back against a pole and I closed my eyes.

I felt something tickling my arm and I opened my eyes to see Vincent standing in front of me. His hair parted to the side and a pair of sunglasses on his nose, even though it was anything but sunny outside and in here. He smiled widely as he motioned for me to take the ear buds out, I smiled and did so.

“Good morning” he said cheerily.

“Hi” I mumbled, pulling my jacket closer to my body.

“Rough night?” he asked.

“Rough morning’s more like it” I answered.

“Mind elaborating?” he smiled and motioned towards two seats that had just become empty.

“My friend Roy, you met him the other day with Jane and her boyfriend, remember him?” he nodded his head, “Well, he’s just a really nice person, but something it’s a bit too much you know? He doesn’t like sleeping in his own place so he’ll come over to mine, he lives right across the hall.”

“That must be nice,” I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, “living right across from your best friend.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “It’s just too much sometimes. Plus he wants to do this big thing for our birthdays and I’m just not up for it.”

“Birthday?” he questioned.

“I hate birthdays, but yes, the eleventh. He’s planning a big party for it and I’d rather him not do anything. I just want to watch some movies and eat pizza.”

“All you can do is make the best of any situations” he shrugged his shoulders, “just go along with it, you’re probably going to get some free food and drinks out of it. At least get really hammered and enjoy yourself” he chuckled.

“Sounds appealing” I smiled, “this is your stop” I stood up before he grabbed my hand.

“Not going in today, I’m just wandering right now.” He pulled me down next to him.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders and moved in his seat to face me completely, “Where are you from? It’s just that you don’t sound like you’re from around here.”

He chuckled, “My mom just came to visit me a few days ago and the accent sticks whenever she comes. I get that question whenever she’s around, but to answer your question I’m from San Francisco.”

I nodded my head before we fell into a nice silence. Him humming a familiar song and staring out the window as I did the same. “Well I have to go now, this is my stop” I said as we began slowing down. He stood up behind me and followed as I stepped onto the platform.

“You know, I’ve lived here for about three months and I’ve never been here” he said as we walked by the shops in Piccadilly Circus. “I’ve never been to that Trafalgar Square either, is that bad?”

“So you live in London yet you’ve never been to all of the tourist areas?” I laughed.

He nodded his head, “You’re my tour guide right now. Show me all that London’s got to offer to a newcomer.”

I laughed, “I would but this is where I have to leave you, if I don’t go in Jane will have my head on a platter.”

He smiled, “Designer huh?” he asked as he looked at the windows that shielded the mannequins and Jane’s clothes from the cold air. Jane was inside trying to act inconspicuous as she looked at us.

“That would be too much work, I just get her the fabric and take care of the shop.”

“Well I’ll see you later, hopefully before your birthday or something.” He smiled before pulling me closer to him in a hug and kissing my forehead.

“You’re invited by the way!” I called out after him as he began walking away. He turned around and smiled, nodding his head, before getting lost in the crowd.

Jane sent me a smirk as I walked into the shop, I rolled my eyes and shook my head before getting busy tagging the new arrivals of clothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this took to long to get out, I've been so busy trying to get settled in, get a job and an apartment. It also didn't help that I lost all the drafts to this, but I'll try to be better about updating this.