My World

1

In the abandoned town the noise from a thousand excited teenagers can be heard. Lily’s guardian, Allen was lying on the old couch he borrowed from a second handed shop. He covered his ears with his hands, trying to block out the booming waves of the next town over. He groaned without thinking, knowing Lilith will comment. She heard him. She shook her head at him, though he didn’t see. “Hey,” she said. “If you don’t like ‘em, join ‘em.”

Allen uncovered his ears. “What’d you say?”

“Nothing.”

“Anyway, why can’t these kids find a different place to enjoy what is left of their pathetic lives?”

Lily rolled her eyes. Allen usually complained about every noise. Living in an abandoned city Allen still wasn’t comfortable about any sound higher than a refrigerator’s hum. The only comfortable position he knew was curling into a ball underground. And he wasn’t planning on doing that in front of Lilith.
Before Allen covered his ears he heard Lily’s voice. “I was thinking…Maybe it would be nice to talk to people my own age.”

Allen closed his eyes and sighed. “We already talked about this. The guards out of town search for people to play their sick games.”

“Why? What are the games?”

“You’ll learn soon enough. Hopefully when you’re not actually competing in them.”

Allen pushed himself off the couch. He left the room without saying a word. Lily watched him leave. She waited for his loud footsteps to disappear into another room. She runs out of the room and through the hallway, towards the emergency exit. She opened the door knowing the power in it ran out centuries ago. She runs down the stairs and climbs down the latter and lands on the garbage bin. She hops off it, her sneakers hitting the pavement.

Lily jogs to the edge of the city where the guards are always searching for prey. She spies two far in front of her and one was beside her. The guard grabs her arm and pulls her to the others. “Allen!” she screams. She keeps repeating the name until the female guard slapped her face twice. Lily gently touches her face, and she doesn’t say anymore while the guards take her to a car.

During the card ride Lily thinks about Allen. Who are these people? When is Allen going to save me? Allen really is slow.