My World

Marsh Lands

“Uh…” Lily replied to what Rhap threw at her.
She had tossed the uncooked ramen cup at Lily. Not knowing what to do with it, she hurled it back at her. The cup hit Rhap at the back of her head and bounced to the floor. She quickly turned to face Lily and frowned. Rhap grabbed and old pillow from the couch and hit Lily on her chest. “Ow,” she yelled.

“You started it,” Rhap went back at her.
“No, you did! You threw the cup at me.”
“So you can eat something.”
“A cup? I wouldn’t eat that.”
Rhap looked at her strangely. “Have you ever eaten ramen?”
Lily looked back blankly. “I have no idea what that is.”

The room grew quiet. Rhap began to laugh. She tossed the pillow on her ratty couch. “I think I just met someone poorer than me.”
“I’m not poor; I live there.”

Lily pointed to the window. The wind entered and opened the window as it was summoned by her. She was pointing to the abandoned city. Rhap followed Lily’s finger. She only saw the road between the two cities. She didn’t say anything about it.

Lily was growing bored. The room they were staying in was less entertaining than the building she lived in. “Why’re we here?”

Rhap picked the cup from the floor and put it on the three legged coffee table. She took matches from a cabinet and lit one for the stove. She watched as the fire grew and shrunk. “Just relaxing for the moment.”

She shook the match and threw it at a disposable garbage bin. Lily watched as she filled a small pot with water from a large bucket in the corner. “What are you doing?” Lily wondered.
Rhap hopped onto the couch. “Right now? Waiting.”

Lily stopped asking questions. She didn’t want to sound like Allen, but right now all she wanted to do was go to sleep. Her day was too unexpected for her. Lily loves the fact of random things, though she’d rather tone it down. Rhap stood up and poured the hot water into the ramen cup. Some steam went up to the ceiling and the room grew warm. She placed a fork over the lid of the cup. She strides to Lily, who was still leaning on the wall-looking outside from the dirty window. Rhap handed her the hot cup. “Eat up.”

Lily took the cup from her. She stabbed what was inside the cup with her fork. She hesitated on placing what was on her fork in her mouth. Her widen when the taste reaches her brain. “It’s delicious.”
“What do you think it was?”
“Clay.”
“Huh?” Rhap stared at her, confused. Lily explained, “From where I live, there are these old things from the 2000’s. People were weird back then. They would put this thing called ‘modeling clay’ in a cup and seal it inside for kids to play with.”
Rhap only replied to that with: “You’re really strange, you know that?”

Marsh turned his mp3 off when he saw the approaching man and woman. He knew now to be cautious around strangers. Lily was a different matter, Rhap was with her.

Marsh first met Rhap at a board meeting. He was to protect a doll for a rich chairman. She was an assistant- to only serve the higher ups, giving them coffee or files. Marsh began liking her when she ‘accidentally’ spilled coffee on his employer’s lap. She got fired and had nowhere else to go to. He was only going to help her once. Marsh soon found out that he enjoyed her company.

“Hello,” the woman said as she placed her neatly manicured hand on the stand, making it creak. “We’re looking for somebody: a girl this high”, she showed me how tall, “with short brown hair. Have you seen her?”
“A lot of people look like that. And I hardly see people here.”
He tried to shoo them away. The woman said, “The one we’re looking for doesn’t have an ID. It would be illegal to assist someone with identification.”
“I’ll remember to tell you guys if I see someone without an ID.”

He tried to shoo them away. The woman said an okay.
She turns to the man. “Let’s go.”
The man said, “She’s one girl. Let her go.”
“She hurt my sister. She’s messing with a family’s pride.”
The man sighs. “Fine, I’ll give him your number.”
“Whatever.”

Marsh was hoping they leave soon. Maybe his wish was coming true: once the man gave him a number to contact them with, they both left. He wanted to call Rhap- to tell her they were searching for Lily. There are no working phones at the bus stop, except for an ancient walkie-talkie. He has no idea how to use it.