Status: Discontinued [2018]

My Little Mermaid

Prologue

The land had been torn by war, ravished by technology. The land once green and beautiful had been stripped and laid bare. Trees were gnarled and struck with little leaves. People had forged small villages, finding the fertile grounds and growing what they could. Most didn't see three winters. It had been this way for years.

Just over twenty years ago, that slowly changed. People grew fatter, lived longer—into their fifties. Technology had all been wiped out, left to rot down to its former shell. Technology for war had been dismantled and buried in deep pits filled with rocks and dirt. Circle of stones marked the place they were buried. An 'x' marked within each circle warns people of the danger. No one dared to go to these places. They believed them haunted. Stories had been told from generation, written in books for everyone to read and learn from past mistakes.

But not all technology was lost. Beneath the waves of the sea, mythical beasts roamed. Villagers from all over, feared what the dark waters hid. They never told many stories about the sea. All too afraid to. They believed the wind, bewitched from the waves, would kill them, drown them in their sleep.

“The water is a dangerous place,” everyone said.

But that didn't stop many from trying. Many young and foolish men and women went to the sea, singing songs and declaring duels to try and coax whatever manner of beast lived in the waters. Some came back. Others were not so lucky. And only a rare few would say they had seen something legendary, not known to the humans on land. These people were revered for a time. But after awhile they were labeled crazy, not fit in mind.

When Juliette came home, seven years of age, shouting that she saw something within the water, many villagers took it to be just her imagination. She shouted, told them over and over again that it wasn't. That she did see something within the waves. Even her own mother was ashamed of the way she was acting. She apologized to everyone, telling it was just her daughter's imagination again. Juliette learned that day no one would believe her. Not even her own mother.

She became known as the dreamer; the girl that would say anything to get attention. Juliette was the girl that would never become anything more than that. She got nothing from her family, no love, no sympathy. She was just their daughter, their sister. An outcast in her own home. That day she never told anyone what she saw on the cliff by the ocean.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading and hopefully you have enjoyed it. Please comment. If you find any grammatical errors please tell me.

This is an idea that formed between pixie dusttt. and myself. Please go and thank her as well.