Status: Discontinued [2018]

My Little Mermaid

Chapter Ten

Apologies


Erin came back with the results of the tests and said there was nothing really wrong with her besides being iron deficient and lacking Vitamin D like all merfolk. The natural kind from the sun didn't reach very well down to where they were. But they had ways around that, taking supplements for it or putting a vitamin powder on their food or in their drinks.

But that was all Erin and her team of scientists could find. She was healthy for her age and wasn't at risk for heart disease or failure.

And with that, that left the blaring question; what happened then?

Juliette didn't know nor did she want to know. She wanted to pretend that it never happened and that she could go on without any problem. That was what she wanted.

“Let's get something to eat, Jewels.” Faith grinned at the female. She wanted Juliette to get out of the room and possibly see others. She wanted Juliette to see the rest of Solatium. And she figured if her parents saw, she would make something up.

Matt was against the idea. He didn't want Juliette risking her safety unnecessarily. Faith knew though, that he could not refuse. He wasn't her bodyguard. “Will Hannah be going with you?” The noble woman smirked. He did not like that look. It was one she gave him when she wasn't going to do as he asked, as he recommended. “My Lady,” he started, but was stopped by her hand. It rose in the air and stopped just in front of him.

“I do not need you or anyone telling me what is and isn't a good idea. I think after years of everyone telling that, I would understand what isn't a good idea.” Juliette felt like she was intruding on something, but she didn't know what. It just felt like this argument was about something else. Something deeper. More meaningful.

The guard sighed. He did not have any right to tell her to do anything. Not since...

“My Lady,” he sighed. He knew what she was getting at. “That is not relevant. I just want you to be safe and protected.” Faith's brow creased before she turned away, smiling at Juliette. It was a forced smile. Juliette could tell that much.

“Let's go.” Faith took off, not even waiting for Juliette. She turned to Matt, seeing the despondent expression upon his features. Her chest hurt just seeing that. Why? It was the one question she couldn't answer or didn't want to answer. Or even have answered. She wasn't ready to find out the truth.

Ducking her head, she swam past Matt. A hand stopped her, grasping her arm gently. “Please,” She turned back to him. His gaze was looking away from her, staring at the far wall. “Don't do anything stupid. If anything happens, run.” He looked at her, staring hard. “Run as far and fast as you can and don't look back.” She didn't know what to say to that. It was something that she didn't want to do, but she knew she might have to. Instead of answering verbally, she went for a nod. He released her arm and turned away.

Juliette went on slowly. Her mind reeling about possibilities that haven't happened yet. Most ended in sadness for her. She knew there would be no happy ending for her. That was becoming more and more apparent.

Once to the bend, she glanced back, seeing Matt was no longer there. He had went back into the room, apparently. Sighing heavily, Juliette swam away, following Faith. It wasn't hard to find her, for she was just around the bend, just out of view of Matt. “I am sorry,” was what she said first to the once human girl. “I am sorry you had to see that.” Juliette shook her head, it was nothing new. “You know...” her voice ebbed, leaving that sentenced unfinished, and Faith didn't pick it up again. “Let's go!” She smiled brightly, taking Juliette's hand and swimming away. The older female headed around the long bend until there was a fork and she took the right one. It became a corridor with only artificial light; there were no windows to the outside. It was just walls and water. “We're heading to the Rain District.”

“Rain District?”

Faith chuckled. “Right. You don't know. Solatium is separated into five districts: Rain, Storm, Ocean, Blue, and Sky.” She had used her fingers to count them off as they floated. Juliette mouthed the names, trying to remember them. “Rain is where the market is. Storm is where all the guards are and live. And I mean any guard. Body guards that serve the Primary and the Council to the ones watching every entrance and exit of Solatium.” She waved her hand around, gesturing to the left and right. Juliette nodded, somewhat understanding it. “Sky is where the Primary and his or her family lives as well as the Council and their families.” Juliette tried to imagine how this would work, but since she didn't know the place, she couldn't imagine it. It was just impossible. She kept thinking it was all in a circle, but Solatium, by what she had seen, was not a circle. “I'll get you a map and it might make more sense then.” Faith smiled before holding out her hand.

“But...if we are going to the market, won't you be recognized?” Juliette did not want to have a crowd of people staring at her. It would just make her uncomfortable and probably make the people curious.

Faith grinned widely. “No worries! Not many people know me and what I look like.” She continued on. “Let's get going or we'll miss everything!” Juliette gaped as Faith continued on. Her tail flipped up and down, propelling her forward. She spun and looked back at the still gaping woman. “Come on!” Juliette quickly followed. She wanted to see this market in the Rain District.

But when they got there, it blew Juliette away. It was a huge hall with the ocean above. There were lights reflecting off of the ceiling, giving the whole place a different, vibrant feel to it. The people were meandering around, going from one shop to the next. There were ones that were temporary stands and others that were built around the edges. A staple in the market.

Juliette swung her head around, staring at the place. It was like the small market they had in her village, but bigger and better. Faith grinned, moving to the first stand, talking quickly with the man behind the table. “Jewels!” Faith waved her over. “Let's go!” Juliette swam over to Faith, grasping her arm as she offered it to her. “Every visitor has to sign in before entering. I signed for you.” Juliette looked at the female in confusion. “It's more to make sure the market place doesn't get too crowded. On days like these,” she gestured to the whole place. There were many people, but not too many. Enough to give business to the shops, but not overwhelm them. “it isn't too bad.” She grinned at her companion.

Faith was enjoying her time and it appeared Juliette was too. The older female was happy that Juliette was enjoying something. She looked at everything, muttering about how some things were so expensive or what something was like. Faith pulled her around, stopping only when something really intrigued either of them. The mermaid moved along before pulling to a stop, gazing at the shop of clothes. Shirts, dresses, skirts, jewelry were all there, hanging enticingly. “Let's go in here.” Faith pointed at the shop, glancing at the plain shirted Juliette. She had very little in the way of clothes, borrowing from the guys and a few from Faith herself.

But it would make Juliette, at least in Faith's mind, feel a bit more at home. She wanted her to have a few set of clothes that were just hers and not borrowed from someone else. Like the shirt she was wearing. It was a plain t-shirt that was Nicolas'.

“Okay,” Juliette conceded. She didn't think she had any right to refuse Faith from doing anything. She was of higher status that herself. And she was somewhere that she wasn't born into. Juliette knew she would have to face the consequences of that sooner or later.

The two of them went to the shop. It was manned by two people. On stocking the shelves and the other taking care of the money and customers. “Ah! Welcome!” the female behind the counter called. She smiled at both of them. “If you need any help, please do not hesitate to ask.”

“Of course. Thank you,” Faith responded. The two females went around, perusing the clothes. Most were casual with some prints. A few others were more formal. Faith glanced at Juliette, trying to see what she was looking at most, but the girl just looked at everything in somewhat amazement. It was like she had no idea clothes were like this. Fabric that didn't soak up water at all and most were form fitting.

Faith decided to choose some clothes for her. She picked out colors and prints that would work with Juliette's skin tone—pale with a twinge of peach—and tail, an emerald green. She figured solid colors or stripes were the best, but she picked out a few others with swirls and fading.

Juliette was interested only in the clothes around her and not what Faith was doing. She looked at the fancy dresses—something different than the ones on land. Most of them opened up just above the navel and pillowed out around the hips before tapering off to a rounded point in the back.

“Try these on,” Faith said, handing the stack of clothes to Juliette, surprising her. She stared at the stack, mentally counting the number she had in her hands. “The changing rooms are back there.” Faith pointed towards the back. There were several curtains, red in color. Juliette was concerned about it just being curtains. She didn't want anyone just walking in on her. “There are ties on the inside. Now, go.” Faith gave her a gentle push, smiling brightly at her friend. “And you better show me every single one of those.” Juliette pouted, ducking her head. She just wanted to change through them quickly and not show her every single article of clothing.

“Fine,” she conceded as she entered one of the cubicles. Turning, Juliette found the ties and quickly tied them. Taking off the large shirt, she glanced at herself in the mirror. Her eyes raked down her form, slowly realizing she was gaining some weight. Her once very bony self was becoming more curvaceous. Her skin was still pale, but looked less deathly or pallid. She looked healthy. Or rather nearly healthy.

Sighing, Juliette pulled on the first shirt, a purple. It didn't look that bad, but she wasn't really someone that wore purple or many colors for that matter. The shirt itself was simple. The neck was a v-neck and the sleeves were three-quarter sleeves, ending just below her elbow. Frowning, she looked at herself, barely recognizing herself in the mirror. She looked different. Less like a hollow shell that she was before and more of an actual person.

“Jewels?” Faith called. Juliette heaved a sigh before untying one side and moving out. “Oh,” was all she was greeted with. She stared at the ground, feeling worse than before. “You're getting that.” She turned her gaze up, surprised. Juliette didn't know that the shirt looked good on her. She didn't have any sense of what looked good or not on her. “Next!” Faith exclaimed, excited.

Juliette smiled softly as she went back in. She changed into the next shirt, a striped one. It was white and blue stripes running around her. Juliette didn't know if she liked it. It looked different on her than folded. It didn't clash with her tail and skin, which was good, but besides that, she was undecided on it. Taking an encouraging breath, she pushed herself out.

Faith said nothing. She looked at the shirt and then Juliette. She could tell that Juliette didn't feel very comfortable in the low neck and tight shirt. It was nice, but something that would have to wait. “I don't think so at this moment. You need confidence to wear it or it just doesn't give the same picture.” Juliette held her arms close to her, feeling a bit down about that. Faith seemed to know what she was talking about, but it was hard to listen too. She knew she had flaws. And she knew she needed to work on her confidence. But to hear it from someone else, it just pushed the nail through her heart. “Next.”

This went on until she was on the last garment. Juliette had tried on shirts, dresses, bras, and belts. She paused, lifting up the dress. It was simple in that it had no frills or multiple layers. It was just one piece of fabric rolling down from the bust to the middle of her tail. The back was longer than the front. The front ended at her waist. The dress was a navy blue made from a silk like fabric. It was beautiful. Juliette just didn't know if it would look good on her.

Swallowing her fear and apprehension, she pulled it on, smoothing out the wrinkles. It formed to her body, but only slightly, leaving some room to breathe. It was tighter across her breasts. Looking at herself, she stared. It looked beautiful even on her.

A gasp escaped her lips. Pain filled her tail. The large fin at the end wiggled as spasms started there and traveled up. They reached her waist, dissipating. The pain shot through her like lightning. Pounding behind her eyes, she clenched her teeth and her fists. It hurt.

Her chest seized, clutching all air in her lungs. She couldn't breathe. Juliette felt tears prick the corners of her eyes as she held her breath, trying to let this fit pass. She needed it to. And soon.

“Jewels,” Faith called warmly. Juliette felt the pain slowly recede. She thanked whomever was above for this as she fixed herself up. Her eyes were rimmed with slight red, but nothing bad. There were indents from her nails in her palms. She smoothed the dress once more, spinning to look at her from all angles. “Juliette?”

“Coming,” Juliette said. She was nervous. She wanted to have this dress, but she didn't know if it looked good on her and then she didn't want Faith to know she just had another fit. Juliette didn't need more supervision nor worry.

Biting her lip, the woman slipped out from behind the curtain. Her eyes were once again down on the ground. “You're beautiful.” Her gaze snapped up, knowing that wasn't Faith. Faith was there, but off slightly to the side. Before Juliette was Nicolas. He was staring at her. In an instant, she wrapped herself in her arms, turning her head away from him. She was not comfortable with Nicolas and especially with him staring at her. Juliette couldn't help the tears coming to her eyes as she thought about what he had said to her a few days back.

“Jewels,” Faith whispered, wanting to go to her friend. She wanted to embrace her and keep her safe, but this was something the two of them needed to work out. And quickly. Nicolas was beating himself up about what he did. He knew Juliette was fragile. He knew he didn't have much right to take everything out on her. What he said was true in a sense, but Nicolas believed he could have said it differently or had her do something. In the end, it all came back on him. She was his responsibility.

“I would like to apologize for what I said.” Juliette squeezed herself, willing herself not to burst out in more tears. “I didn't have a right to say what I did. I was just angry.” He bit his lip, watching Juliette shift. Nicolas knew his apology would only start to heal their relationship. It may never be the same, but he wanted to repair it. “I know my words only mean so much. And all I can do right now is apologize. I will show you that I'm prepared to do what it takes to get your forgiveness.” Juliette glanced at him, wanting to believe him. She wanted his words to be true, but she had too much experience with words. They meant little to her any more. “Just give me a chance.”

Faith moved to Juliette's side, gently placing her hands on the girl's shoulders. “Jewels,” she started. “Please. He knows what he did was wrong and regrets it.” Faith wanted the two to be on good terms again. Nicolas was the first person Juliette knew and that meant something to both of them, for Juliette was the first person Nicolas met that didn't try to harm him.

Ducking her head, Juliette bit her bottom lip, swallowing the hurt she felt. “...okay...”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am very, very sorry about the really long wait for this chapter. I kind of lost my muse for this story. And if you haven't read my latest blog, my computer got a virus and I didn't have my computer for a while there. So I had to work in notebooks and stuff. Now I have to transfer that stuff over and that would take a while.

I want to get back on a schedule, but I don't know when I will because I have to do that around my job as well.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter. Please do tell me if you see any mistakes; grammar, spelling, etc. I can not spot them all.

And I don't know how much motivation I have for this story now. Especially when I don't know if anyone is reading or if they like it.

I mean I know how many subscribers I have and recommends I have, but that isn't as satisfying as reading a comment. So please do leave me a comment. I would appreciate it.

Well, until the next chapter. ^_^