Status: Discontinued [2018]

My Little Mermaid

Chapter Five

Interest


Nicolas was about ready to just drag her along. She wasn't getting much of anything. He just couldn't teach her how to swim as fast as he would like. He wanted her to just get it and then be on their way. But no. She had to be horrible and not get a single thing. “How can you not get how to move your tail?” he nearly shouted at her. “It's not that hard. You flip it up and down.”

She moved it slowly. It went up and down before she moved forward. Nicolas breathed a sigh of relief. Now we can go. He started to swim away slowly, allowing Juliette to keep up. She mouthed one and two over and over again to make sure she was flipping her tail. They moved along as quickly as they could through the water and towards Nicolas' home.

As time went on, she got more confident and swam faster. In the distance appeared a palace, domed and bubble like. It was gold and lit brightly. It glowed an ethereal green. It was beautiful. Nicolas swam down, leading her to the entrance. Before they got there another merman appeared. His hair, black was cut short and looked a bit shaggy. His dark brown eyes stared at Nicolas before glancing at Juliette. “You shouldn't go off on your own, Nicolas. It's dangerous.”

“I can take care of myself, Matt.”

“No. You can't. Remember last time?” Matt pointed out, raising a single finger into the air. Nicolas scoffed, moving around the tangerine tailed merman. His fin though was pale yellow at the ends, fading from the tangerine orange. “And who is this?” He glanced at Juliette as she sputtered back. This was new to her and she didn't know how to act or be around these people.

Nicolas stopped, looking at Juliette and Matt before sighing. “That's Juliette. An acquaintance.” Juliette felt her heart clench at that. She hoped to be more. But she reminded herself that she only met him once. And being his acquaintance was better than nothing.

Juliette ducked her head, not knowing if she should follow Nicolas or stay put. Her thoughts reflected her indecision. “I've never seen you around here before. Where are you from?” She looked up, ready to answer Matt when Nicolas dragged her away. “Nicolas!” Matt wasn't far behind. Not that Nicolas was out swimming him or even wanting to. He just wanted Juliette to keep quiet and lay low.

The three of them got inside easily. Swimming up from the bottom through a doorway into the city. Matt swam by Nicolas' side. Juliette took the rear, head down as she was still being dragged by Nicolas. He didn't let go until they were in a room. The doors opened with a few bubbles. They floated to the top of the dome.

But before she could examine everything closer, she was pulled inside. The room, domed as well, was large and had a couch in front of them. Juliette was surprised to see a couch. She thought mermaids wouldn't need to sit. It seemed...weird. But then she didn't know much about mermaids, just what was told in the stories. And it changed from person to person or book to book.

“Alright, sit.” Nicolas pointed to the couch, staring at her. Matt went to say something, but Nicolas put his hand up, stopping him. “You stay with her. I don't want her running off.” Nicolas swam to another door, waiting only a moment as it slid open. He disappeared behind it as it slid back into place.

Juliette didn't know what to do. She didn't want to show Matt that she didn't know how to sit down in the water nor did she want him to know she wasn't originally a mermaid. That she was human.

Matt sighed, making Juliette swallow hard. She bit her bottom lip, nervous and scared. The door opened and Nicolas swam back in with a white box. It had a red cross on it. It was a First Aid kit. That much she knew. She knew since they had basically the same thing up on land. Matt swam over to him, whispering as he glanced at the mermaid. He didn't trust her and knew the two were hiding something from him. He was suppose to protect Nicolas, and he couldn't do that if he didn't know the whole story.

Nicolas gave him a look, one that said they will talk later. The two moved to Juliette, who wasn't paying attention to them. She was gazing up at the ocean above the domed room as well as the colors. The windows were tinted dark, but had the blue lights highlighted them with a glow. The support was colored gold with green lights at every intersection.

When a hand grabbed hers, Juliette turned to face Nicolas. He gave her a hard look as he opened the First Aid box and pulled out white bandages. At least they looked like bandages. And in a sense they were. He wrapped the white bandages around her wrists, pressing the end into the bandage. It snapped into itself.

Juliette brought her arms up, looking curiously at the bandages. “They'll help.” A cooling sensation wrapped around her wrists. It was a nice feeling. It numbed the burning pain, dulling it to a soft hum. She was about to touch the bandages when Nicolas shoved her hands away. “Don't touch them. It'll release the bond.” She tilted her head, confused, but nodded all the same.

“She's not a mermaid, is she?” Matt's question startled both of them. Juliette went to say something, but Nicolas stopped her. He didn't want her to say anything. “Nicolas. Your father needs to know.” The man scowled. He didn't want to talk with his father. Not about this. He would have to explain about his lone trips out towards the human settlement. And his father would lock him down in his room. He didn't want that. He wanted to have his freedom.

“I don't want to get him involved.” Matt scoffed. He knew exactly what Nicolas was thinking about. It was selfish, but that was what Nicolas did. He thought of himself first before thinking about others unless there was bodily harm involved. Then his protective nature came out, but only then. “She's not harming anyone.”

Matt wanted to knock some sense into his charge, but just sighed. He shook his head. “What if she is a spy?”

“I'm not a spy!” Her outburst surprised everyone, even her. She didn't know what came over her to shout like that. She just didn't want them to think her something she wasn't. It would crush—rip apart, shred—her dream. It would change her life forever.

The two men looked at each other before turning to her. Matt spoke first, being the voice of reason. “But you are not a mermaid. Not originally.” She looked down at the ground finding that it was windows as well. It distracted her for a moment until she remembered she needed to answer Matt. But it scared her. Dark thoughts came to her. What would I do if they send me away? She feared she would be on her own out in the sea. And she wouldn't know what to do. Juliette knew she would die out there.

“No.”

“Juliette!” Nicolas snapped. She flinched slightly, not expecting him to shout at her.

“I was h—” A hand covered her mouth, mumbling the rest of her words. Matt raised a brow, staring at Nicolas.

“It's none of your business what she was. Now she is a mermaid, and we have an obligation to help her out.”

“And tell your father.” Nicolas nodded until he realized what he just agreed to. He went to protest and say something more when Matt shook his head. “No. He needs to know. This isn't something usual that I can let slide. This is bigger than that.”

Juliette just listened. She didn't know what to say or what to do when the two were debating about her future. She wanted to step in. To say that this was her future and she was to have a say in it. But Juliette didn't.

“Yeah, so?” Stubbornness showed through in Nicolas' words. He knew it was the thing to do, but he didn't want to do as his bodyguard told him to. It just went against everything he was. He was to be right, not anyone else. But he had been working on it. “What my father doesn't know, won't kill him.”

Matt glared. He was getting a bit irritated. His hands clasped together, keeping from hitting Nicolas. “Your father is the caretaker of Solatium. He is the Primary.” She tilted her head, not truly understanding what that means. “He is basically the king,” Matt clarified for Juliette's benefit. She gasped. Juliette didn't know that, not that she knew much about the enigmatic Nicolas. But she couldn't have guessed he was a prince. Or whatever he would be called.

It was a little much for her to take in. First that mermaids lived underwater in a bubbled city and now Nicolas was next in line to rule. Her world started to spin. She didn't feel so good.

The two continued to bicker, each not letting up. “I know. But this isn't something he needs to know. Actually he can't know.”

“Why?”

“What do you think he will do when he finds out that Juliette was changed into a mermaid? Do you think he will just let her stay? She can't survive these waters. Not with those mutated creatures roaming around.” Matt stopped. His job was to protect Solatium and Nicolas. It wasn't in his nature to think about the consequences of that. But it was the Primary's duty to think of things like that.

“I am sorry. I did not think of that.”

Nicolas sighed. “I know.” He ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. Turning to Juliette, he gaped at her unconscious form. She floated in the water, hair sprawled around her. Nicolas pulled at her arm, checking her pulse. Matt swam over, looking her over. “She needs a doctor.”

“But won't she rat us out to your father?” Matt now knew what telling the Primary would do. And now he didn't know what to do about it. “The doctor is suppose to report to the Primary.” The two were silent, but Nicolas knew they needed to get Juliette to a doctor. Nicolas swam to the door, pressing a blue, round button. Out popped a screen, holographic in nature, and a woman appeared within the frame.

“Sir Nicolas. A pleasure. But I believe our appointment isn't until next Tuesday,” her voice is gentle, but strong. Her green eyes flickered around Nicolas, trying to figure what was going on. “But I don't think that's why you called.”

Nicolas shook his head. “No. Can you come by my quarters? I'll explain once you get here.” The screen disappeared back into the wall, and he turned to Matt. “Alright. Let's get her to the couch.” Her body was floating close to the floor. The two men moved her to the couch, setting her on against the gel filled cushions.

She was still breathing, which was a good sign. “Matt, go get some food and water. She'll probably be hungry when she wakes up.” Matt didn't question the order as he bowed his head with a hand across his chest, touching his shoulder. The male moved through the room and flipped a switch causing the door to open. He swam out, disappearing down the corridor. Nicolas breathed a heavy sigh. He didn't know what to do now.

So he just floated down into an arm chair and waited. The water around him swayed, batting softly against him. He sat, head leaned back and eyes closed. Nicolas shifted in the chair, finding a more comfortable spot. The chair itself shifted as well having a gel substance inside. It formed around him as he sank a bit deeper into it.

Nicolas waited. A bing sounded. It came from his door. It was his door bell. He got up and swam swiftly to the ringing door. He pressed a button before flipping the switch to get the door open. Outside was a woman in a white coat. She was older than him. And one could tell by the deepening lines around her mouth and eyes.

She bobbed up and down, staring at Nicolas. Her hair was pulled back in a bun. “Are you going to let me in? Or not?” Nicolas quickly moved out of the way, allowing the woman to come in.

“Erin,” Nicolas started. His gaze flickered towards Juliette. “You can't report this to my father.” She paused, staring at Juliette before turning to Nicolas.

“Why?”

Nicolas was thinking about this the whole time he was alone. He needed to give a good enough answer. And he didn't know if he should tell her the truth, how much he knew of it. “Because she doesn't truly belong here. Can you help her?” Erin, the doctor, flipped her purple tail, getting closer to the unconscious girl.

“Since it's my duty, my job to help people, I'll do it.” She turned to Nicolas, giving him a look. “I expect you to tell me everything when I'm done.” Nicolas agreed quickly, not knowing how much trouble Juliette was in right now. She might be dying for all he knew.

Erin got to work. She pulled her bag from her shoulder, getting what she needed out of it. Nicolas stayed back, letting the doctor do her job. Erin checked her pulse and flashed a light in her eyes. The woman checked blood pressure and other things, just to see what it was.

It wasn't long before Erin sighed and turned to Nicolas. “She's just exhausted and dehydrated.” Nicolas breathed a sigh of relief, knowing she wasn't going to die or dying. “Just let her sleep. But when she wakes up, make sure she has some water.” Erin gave him a look. “Small amounts. Frequently.” Nicolas nodded as Erin waited.

He knew he had to tell her. He had to tell her what he knew about Juliette. Erin just stayed silent. She knew he would tell her and soon.

“Juliette,” he started, licking his lips, “was human. Some how she was transformed into one of us.” Erin looked at Juliette, wondering how that happened. It wasn't something that was easily done. There were many things that could go wrong. It would take a lot of knowledge and a lot of experience. It wasn't something a novice could do.

“Transformed? Are you positive?” Erin asked. She wanted to be sure. But if it was, that would be a problem. She didn't know if she could keep quiet about this. This might be too much to keep secret from the Primary.

“Yes. I...saw her as a human.” Erin went to question him more when a bing sounded. Nicolas opened the door, allowing Matt in as he had a bubble like sphere in his arms. It held the food and drink, keeping it dry. The inside had a jelly like substance, keeping everything at the right temperature and in place.

Matt set the sphere on the table. It bobbed up and down. Erin glanced at Nicolas. She silently told him this conversation wasn't over. “Just do as I say, and everything should work out. Nicolas, come by later. I have somethings for you,” and with that she was out the door, giving the two men a lazy wave over her shoulder.

The bodyguard turned to Nicolas, questioning what Erin was talking about. The young man heaved an exhale before shaking his head. “You don't need to know.” Matt wanted to press, but since Nicolas was of a higher rank than him, he didn't. “Matt, you don't have to wait here with me.”

“No.” Matt squared his shoulders, straightening up. “I am your bodyguard. I will not leave you here with her. She still could be a threat to Solatium.” Nicolas nodded, knowing that was true. She could be a threat, even though she most likely wasn't. She was too shy. Too naïve.

“Well, now all we can do now is wait.” Matt sighed, but knew that was all they could do. Because they had to be there when she woke up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally! It took me forever to finish this. Mostly because I was trying to figure some of the technology out, among other things. Please comment, subscribe, recommend, and/or suggest something. I like hearing from my readers.

Also, I would like to know if you see any grammatical errors because this is basically a first draft.