Status: Discontinued [2018]

My Little Mermaid

Chapter Eight

Forgiveness


Nicolas stared at the woman in the bed. She was asleep, rolling over several times and now she was on her back. Her chest rose and fell with each breath she took. He didn't know what to make of her. She showed that most humans stayed away from the water, the oceans, and most didn't know what had caused this world to be like this. If they were like her.

Everything was different now. He couldn't assume that humans were dirty creatures that hunted his kind. Most didn't. Most didn't even know they were beneath the waves. The few that did; they were labeled “dreamers,” crazy, insane. Juliette was one of them. She was considered a “dreamer” for she saw something no one else did. That he knew because she told him. She told him a bit about the world up there. And he in turn, did the same. He told her about his world below the surface of the water. The one she was now apart of.

They didn't get very far in talking, but just enough to know that the two societies were similar in some ways, and in others entirely different.

Juliette shifted, bring Nicolas from his thoughts. She whimpered softly before turning onto her other side. Nicolas waited, watching her for a moment before sighing out of relief. He didn't want her to wake up and find him watching her. It wouldn't go over well.

She fell asleep while listening to him talk about his role in his society. He was to take over ruling Solatium, if the council and the people decide he was worthy and ready for it.

Now he was watching over her, wondering about herself and how her world was. He talked more about his world beneath the water, and how it use to be above, on the ground. His people started to wonder how people could walk. It required so much balance and work to do.

But all he learned abut the humans were that they believed that technology destroyed the world and that anything not “normal” was bad. Anything else was a mystery. He didn't know about their society, their culture, their government. He really only knew very little about the humans. And now he wanted to know more. He wanted to know, for Juliette showed the humans were similar to him, even more than he realized before.

As time slowly moved on, he started to drift off, sinking farther and farther into the chair. Once his head touched the back, he was out. His dreams took over, swirling in and out of existence. And twisting into his memories. Memories of years past.

.::*::.


Juliette woke up with a jerk. She gasped as she stared up at the ceiling. Air flooded her lungs and then her systems. The dream. It was the dream again. The one about how she became a “dreamer.” Lifting her torso up, she looked around the room, trying to calm her breathing. The world around her was still there and she wasn't atop the cliff over looking the ocean. Now she was beneath it. She was where she was when she fell asleep; in Nicolas' bed. The only room that was higher than the rest with the water level lower as a safety measure to keep people from accidentally drowning. She looked around, noticing the chair was empty, not that she expected it to be be filled. Even as she thought that, deep down, she wanted it to be filled. Filled by someone. Matt, Nicolas, or even Faith would be preferable than being alone. She didn't like being alone.

There was a bong before the door opened. Juliette looked around, wondering what that sound was and where it was coming from. It sounded like it was all around her, encompassing her. From the rounded corner came Matt. “Good, you're awake. Nicolas sent me with some food.” In his hands was a full meal in a large sphere. He pressed the center, and then he pulled it open. Inside was toast, eggs, fish, a smoothie of some kind, and a few leafy greens. His large, strong hands worked at setting everything on the table before gesturing for her to come over. “Come, eat.”

She slipped off the bed and fell softly into the water, bobbing a few times before moving to the table that sat above the line of water. He moved back, watching her. She took the drink first, smelling it before taking a sip. It was fruity. Smiling brightly, Juliette took a drink before setting it down and eating.

Matt didn't watch her eat, but he stayed until she was done, as per Nicolas' orders. “What are these things?” she finally asked, curious about the spheres that carried all the food.

“You mean the carrier spheres?” She looked at Matt, then at the sphere.

“Carrier spheres? That's what they're called?” He nodded. She gave a look of surprise before swimming a bit to stretch out all the kinks she had gotten from sleeping. Matt stayed with her, setting the carrier sphere on the water. It floated there as he watched carefully the woman that was browsing Nicolas' room. She was looking at just about everything. Her gaze was curious and mostly because of the technology.

Matt really started to wonder if humans had any technology any more. He had seen the old vids about them. They showed how the technology he became use to as normal, was derived from the humans'. The humans created the technology. And in a way, he resented them for that. He wanted nothing to do with humans. He never did.

But now meeting one, albeit a mermaid now, was eye opening. He didn't expect her to be this way at all. In his mind, he thought of them as ruthless and willing to do anything just to brag about it. It wasn't just Nicolas that was curious about the humans. In his early years, Matt was curious as well.

That was another reason. He hated and resented himself because it felt like it was his fault that...

“What's this?” Juliette asked, pointing to a large device. It sat on the floor with a light that was projecting words onto the glass that made up its cover. Matt looked at the device, truly wondering if she did not have one up there on land.

He swam to her level, looking at the music player—Radmus Ver. 24. “It's a music player. Radmus. Don't you have them up on land?” She shook her head, looking intrigued at the machine. She swam up and down, looking at the sleek surface it had all around it; holding and protecting its insides. Juliette hesitantly touched the glass. It came to life. Names of all sorts of music—what she thought was music—appeared. She didn't know a lot about music. That was her mother's area. She played the piano. But there was so much more down here. On the Radmus. She stared at the names, wondering if she could hear them.

“Just tap one.” Matt scared her. She spun, gasping as she looked at Matt. He was closer than she thought. Just to her left. “Sorry.” Matt pulled back slightly, giving her a bit of room.

“It's alright. I...you just startled me.” She backed away from the device that supposedly played music.

“Here, I'll pick something.” He swam down and pressed a few things, and music poured out of invisible speakers. The very water around where the speakers were moved slightly, rippling away from them. Juliette looked around, admiring the musical waves.

The two of them listen to different music. Matt told Juliette the name of each one and what genre it would fall under. She had so many questions. Questions about why there were genres and why did the genres fade. But she didn't ask them. She was trained not to. Questions got her into trouble. Juliette had to bite her lip to keep herself from saying something.

Matt saw this, interpreting it as holding something back, but what, he didn't know. “Juliette,” she turned to him, looking innocently. Her eyes were big, taking everything in. “Is there something you want to ask or say?” She stared at him, surprised before shaking her head. She backed up. A feeling of fear and being threatened coursed through her.

“...no...”

“Juliette,” he swam closer, not believing her in the slightest. He knew she wanted to say something. The mermaid shook her head, crossing her arms around her stomach, becoming scared. Matt noticed this, stopping a few feet away from her. She started to physically shake as she watched Matt. To her, he looked as if assessing his prey, ready to attack. “I am not going to hurt you.” Her breath hitched causing her to cough.

He moved to her, trying to help her, but just brought her above the water. Air filled her lungs as she took a deep breath. “Are you okay?” Juliette nodded, but she didn't look okay. Something was bugging her. “Juliette?” She looked into Matt's eyes, scared. Flashes of her time as a captive came to her mind. She didn't know why now, but they surfaced.

Matt seemed to understand something from her expression. He, believing it would help, reached out to her, gently grasping her arms. But she pulled away, not liking to be touched. It reminded her too much of what she had gone through. Of how their hands felt against her skin when they changed her.

The male backed away, not knowing what to do. He was at a loss. What could he do to help her?

Then the door opened. Nicolas swam in, swinging his gaze around, searching for them. His gaze traveled up and spotted the two. “Matt, get down here.” Matt glanced at Juliette before swimming down to his charge. “My father has requested you. And Faith wanted to see Juliette again, but needs an escort.” Matt nodded before bowing his head. He glanced at the female before leaving. The door hissed shut. Nicolas sighed before looking at the female above him. She slowly swam down to him, ducking her head. She learned that much from Matt and Nicolas. He straightened, puffing his chest out. “Rise.” Juliette did so, but didn't look him in the eyes.

“May I ask a question?” she asked softly. Nicolas searched her face, grimacing when she looked away, not letting him see what could be on her mind.

“Go ahead.”

“When will you kick me out?” Anger and resentment rose up in the male. All his mind could think of was how she did not appreciate the hospitality she was getting nor the gravity of her situation.

Unbeknownst to him, she knew it very well. After everything that had happened and how she wasn't allowed outside the room, Juliette knew where she stood. And what would happen if she was allowed out. Faith already knew about her, but not the whole story. No one knew the whole story besides herself. Nicolas could make an educated guess and so could Erin, but no one else. Matt knew she was a human transformed into a mermaid.

“Ungrateful,” was what slipped out. Juliette snapped her gaze to Nicolas. “You are ungrateful of what I have done for you. What I am risking by keeping you here.” She floated back, scared. He had a deadly glint in his eyes. One she had seen before. In her family's eyes. On the day she came back from the ocean speaking of impossible things. At least until she saw what was really beneath the water.

“I...I did not...mean...” she stuttered, fearful of what he may say next.

“No. You never do. You sit around in this room, waiting, watching. What good are you? I have given you your dream. And this is how you repay me?” She didn't quite understand what he was talking about now. It seemed all his anger, pent up anger, was being taken out on her. “I could have let you drown. I should have.” Her breath caught in her throat, choking her as tears floated into the water. And what was worse was she had no where to run. He had cornered her against a wall. Luckily he never rose a hand against her. He only shouted at her as if everything was her fault. And in truth, she knew everything that had happened to her was her fault.

It was her fault she ran back home, shouting of the large monster in the ocean, a big and scaled creature. It was her fault she helped Nicolas in the first place. It was her fault she was taken by those men. It was her own fault that she was changed into a mermaid.

Juliette knew this. She knew it very well, but she was trying to forget it. To push it aside. In the end, she couldn't. It always came back. It came back with a vengeance.

“Nicolas!” That wasn't his voice. It was female. Both teenagers turned to the door, seeing Faith and Matt. “Go.” Nicolas turned back to Juliette, snapping out of his rage to see the damage he had done. Juliette was huddled back against the wall with wide eyes, scared of him. He wanted to reach out, to apologize. To ask forgiveness. But he couldn't make himself do so. Nicolas saw the look she gave him. The fear she had in her eyes as she gazed into his own. Slowly and guiltily, he swam away and out.

Faith swam quickly to Juliette, wrapping her in a hug. Juliette cried, sobbing into Faith's shoulder. Matt stood awkwardly at the door, glancing at the two. He wanted to be there, helping as per his personality, but it wasn't his duty. He would make it worse. Like he always did with crying females.

Then the words started spilling out. Words of Juliette's life. It came in spurts. Between crying and sobs, she told them everything. She spoke of what she saw at the cliff that caused her to be labeled as a dreamer. She told them of the time she saved Nicolas. Of her family back home. Of her wish to see beyond the boundaries of her village. Juliette repeated what made her a mermaid. She spoke the words that would change everything. From the way they viewed her to the way they viewed her situation. Everything became clearer and even more dangerous.

She held onto Faith, still crying. Faith glanced at Matt. Both of them knew this farce, this charade could not last forever. One way or another she would be found out. Both of them rued that day, and it was coming soon. And now they had to do one more thing. Those scientists had to be stopped. For the protection of Solatium. Where to find them was another matter, and it appeared they needed Juliette's help.

“Juliette,” The girl lifted her head, wiping her eyes, not meeting Faith's blue ones. “It is going to be okay.” A lie. Juliette knew it had to be a lie. Life, her life was never okay, and it never was going to be okay. “But you do realize you will have to tell my father and the council about this. Yes?” Juliette froze, but she slowly nodded after a moment. Her light colored hair floating around her. It almost looked like a halo around her head. Juliette may not have realized that, but she knew it, deep down that, that would have to happen. She just hoped, wished, wanted it not to.

A hiccup escaped her lips, forming a bubble before her. It wiggled and wobbled as it floated up. It reached the top where there was just a bit of room, in case of emergencies. She hiccuped again. Faith chuckled at the poor girl. “It's alright.” Juliette glared slightly at the short female before her. More hiccups came. All forming bubbles that rose slowly. One by one, each bubble disappeared. Popping as they reached the surface.

Juliette started to cough from hiccuping so much, sucking in water rather than keeping it out. “Jewels?” Faith placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to help in any way she could, but she didn't know what to do. She had never dealt with something like this. She hadn't taken any course nor did they force her to do so. She was royal in this community. It wasn't expected of her.

Instead, Matt had to act. He raced over and pulled Juliette up to him. She stared at him, coughing and choking. She was choking.

Pain. That was what the female felt. Pain in her lungs and her tail. Something was wrong. Very wrong. Juliette grasped Matt's arms as he pulled her up. She barely moved her tail to help. Matt didn't even notice that she was trying to help, it was so little.

He was thankful that they hadn't even gotten rid of the safety measure. The air pocket in every room at the top. He just wished they were closer to it. He didn't know how much longer Juliette could last with out air. All he could do was hope and swim fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, guys about taking forever to write this and post it. Life happened and I lost all motivation to write this. Let's just hope my muse is back and I will write more. XD

So on to the usual thing I say in these Author Note boxes.

Please comment, subscribe, suggest, or recommend. If you see any mistakes, grammar or otherwise, please tell me. I really can not catch them all.

I do hope you have enjoyed this chapter, even though it has been like six months or so since the last one. Hope all of you, my readers, are well. And now to go write the next chapter! :)