Status: Who are you?

Maudlin Melody

Prologue

Hair.

There is a load of it whipping me in the face; it’s repeated every two seconds, in sync with the drum beat. My smile widens as I realise I don’t care. In fact I don’t care about anything at this moment in time. The music is enough right now. And the bodies around me, moving.

Mostly head banging happening, and it’s crazy as people all move at the same time- my mind is blown, and any moment now my ear drums will be too. Someone’s arm has snaked around my waist and they’re pulling me towards them despite the fact that we‘re strangers- I go with it. With them. I head bang again. They did too. We do it again.

The music stops for a moment and the small audience lift their heads slowly, waiting, breaths hitched as the singer’s voice continues to ring in our ears and our entire bodies. The air is fizzing with charged energy. It’s a rare moment of silence, just a moment, and then the band smash into the chorus and we -the crowd- are jumping and shaking the entire venue. Everyone around me is screaming the lyrics along with the band, but I’ve never seen them live before. I’ve never been into them- into this, so I only appreciate. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so detached, yet so connected in my life.

I lift my head and I feel my eyes close for just a fleeting second, lost in the moment. When they slip open again my eyes catch that of the main singer’s. His grins at me -a smile, just for me- and he reaches a hand out. I’m at the front so I begin to reach my own hand out to touch his when some hardly pubescent fangirl whacks mine out of the way and grabs a quick stroke of his fingers. I don’t have time to feel upset by this as I’m suddenly shoved into her. Then next thing I know, someone’s yelled ‘Mosh pit!’ and I'm pulled into the chaos around me.

Maudlin Melody
♠ ♠ ♠
The prologue of Maudlin Melody.