Blossoming Fates

Engagement

My legs bounce up and down as I have the feeling of going pee again. I had been to the bathroom at least five times now. And every time I came back it seemed as if Zack and Elizabeth were closer sharing more personal secrets. It was nearing seven thirty and we were sharing tales of past family events. Ian was growing anxious as he bounced his knee up and down. He was smiling over at Rachel and I knew that they’d be happier than any couple I’d ever known. I smiled over at him as he cleared his throat to have the floor. We all turn to the two who were cuddled up on the love seat. He stands up turning to face Rachel.

“Rachel, you know we’ve had a lot of hard time, but we’ve had a lot of good times. You’ve been there when my mom got sick and when my sister had her first child. You’re the most respectable woman, and I fell in love with you the minute you explained why mint chocolate chip ice cream was your favorite ice cream,” He says and we coed at him

“Ian, what are you doing?” Rachel asks nervously

“Please do me the honor of marrying me.” He says before getting down on one knee pulling out a blue velvet box and opening it to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

Rachel nodded her head as she began to cry. Ian was worried at first until she explained they were tears of joy. Elizabeth whispered something to Zack causing him to chuckle but I didn’t focus on it long enough because I was being hugged by Rachel as she showed off her ring to me. It truly was beautiful and it was the perfect ring for Rachel. In the center was a freshwater pearl with diamond studded petals around the pearl. I knew Ian had to have spent a chunk of money on that ring, but he did it because he knew what Rachel liked and how she would respond to something more elegant and less dramatic.

“Lee, please say you’ll be my maid of honor,” She asks and I nod my head excitedly

“Awe, that’s how you treat your baby sister, leaving her out of things?” Elizabeth fake cried before Rachel reluctantly walked towards her showing her the ring up close.

I finally couldn’t wait to use the bathroom any longer and dashed towards the toilet needing to release the pee I’d been holding in for the past half hour. I flush the toilet and wash my hands. I look up in the mirror and can see my happy mood is already deteriorated. I frowned before reapplying my pink lipstick and pinching my cheeks to add more color. I sigh heavily before opening the door and colliding with Elizabeth. She giggles at me and hugs me tightly.

Elizabeth looks healthier than the last time I remember seeing her. I couldn’t see her arms, so telling if she’d been using anything was too hard. Her eyes danced around the kitchen and I couldn’t tell if she was looking for something to steal again or if she just couldn’t truly remember this place. Elizabeth was a liar and a thief. She’d stolen Kylie’s medicine a few times before, and she had stolen Rachel’s diamond necklace our father bought for her.

“That boy you brought here is a doll,” She says and I already know she wants him “but that’s expected I mean, after all, he is known to be good looking.” She finishes and I furrow my brows together

“What are you talking about?” I ask impatiently

“Zacky, he’s fam-“

“You ready to go Emilee, it’s almost ten.” He asks cutting Elizabeth off as he sways from side to side almost anxiously.

I nod my head and walk over to him before grabbing his wrist and pulling him out of the kitchen and into the living room to say our goodbyes. I hug everyone and place a kiss on Rachel’s cheek after congratulating her on her new engagement. She promises to call about the details soon and that I’d better be helping with the planning. My mother stands up and embraces me tightly before doing the same to Zacky. She asks him to bring some art next time he comes by her house. He laughs and only nods his head at her. He and I leave with our arms linked and I smile up at him.

“How about we go to the beach or back to my house for a little while. You have something to explain as do I.” Zack finally says breaking our silence

“We can go back to your place if you want, whichever is closest.” I comment not fully understanding what he was talking about.

“Let’s go to the beach then.” He comments after looking at his phone and sighing to himself.

I wasn’t that concerned because I was sure he meant about my whole family and why everyone had acted so weird about Elizabeth showing up. I just wanted to understand what she had been talking about before Zack had cut her off. I didn’t like liars, and if he’d been lying to me that would ruin many things about our friendship. I wanted him to be more than a friend, but if I couldn’t trust him as a friend how could I ever trust him not to hurt me in a relationship. I breathed out before turning in the passenger side seat and starred out of the window in the sea of darkness.

I knew the beach was close by, but I felt like forever to get there since I was waiting to figure out everything he had to tell me. Zack looks over at Emilee and notices how uneasy she’d become and he is truly upset with himself for not telling her sooner that he was really famous and in a band. Emilee had no reason to not know except Zack enjoyed an easy conversation with someone who didn’t know much about him and didn’t see him as a famous guitarist.

“I really like you Emilee.” Zack whispers and it grabs her attention

“I like you too Zack,” She says before smiling towards him and turning red across her face.

Zack pulled up to the parking lot for the beach before turning off his car. He unbuckled his seat belt and turned to face Emilee. He suggested they take a walk and Emilee was more than willing to do so. She undid her platform sandals and stepped from the car barefooted. She looked back and smiled at Zacky before wrapping her arm around his elbow and leaned her head on his shoulder as they begin to walk towards the crashing waves against the shore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe :)
Will Zacky tell Emilee that he's famous?
--Lindsey Ann