Blossoming Fates

Ice Cream

I explain the story to Zacky first because that was who hadn’t known anything about what I had done the evening before I ran into him at Starbucks. The only detail I kept from them was the fact that the man left me a note. I figured if they didn’t know then I might be able to pass this off as I just couldn’t find the father and save myself and the baby from the drama. Zack frowned at first before excusing himself to go outside and have a quick smoke. I give a small smile his way trying to get him to make eye contact with me, but he avoids it at all costs.

“Do you think he hates me?” I ask quickly to Payton and Rachel

They both look at me as if I were stupid, “He likes you, moron.” Rachel stated and Payton nodded her head in agreement.

“If he hated you he would’ve called you awful names like ass face had earlier,” Payton grumbled referring to Anthony.

I bite my lip thinking about what their saying, but in my head it couldn’t add up properly. Zack and I made it clear we were simply friends. It was what made each of us so comfortable with one another. He only sang to me the other night because he claimed I was one of his closest friends. I laughed at that excuse because I mentioned him signing to crowds of people. All he did was shush me and said they were too his closest friends.

The door opened again and Zack walked back in collecting himself and then sat back on the white plush chair that faced me directly. He smiled a wide grin at me before making a joke about how crazy I’d become and that he’d invest in a cup when he’d around me. I faux glared at him. He got up and walked over to me wrapping his arms around my midsection and promised he’d be there through everything.

“Besides, Lee, what are best friends for?” He asks looking her in her blue green eyes that he adored.

“Buying ice cream,” I said excitedly

“What flavor?” He asks me

Rachel says she’d like mint chocolate chip, Payton explains her favorite is rocky road but she’d settle for simple cookie dough. I look at them like they were being rude and they giggled at each other before I rolled my eyes and asked for birthday cake flavored. He nodded genuinely and repeated each of the ice creams over. I attempted explaining that he didn’t have to buy Rachel and Payton ice cream, but he only kisses my forehead and leaves. I can’t help but to blush wildly as I stare at Payton and Rachel who were eyeing me suspiciously.

“Just friends,” Rachel cocks an eyebrow upwards

“That scene could’ve fooled me.” Payton stated in her casual sarcastic tone.

I laughed whole heartedly at them, “I like him, it’s true, but do either of you think it’s a good time to actually pursue a relationship with him?” I ask looking at both of them seriously.

They shake their head no to me and I breathe out thanking both of them for understanding. Rachel tells me to sit down and take a break from standing after my little dramatic day. I shed a small smile before sitting down lightly in the chair Zack was once in. They begin talking to me about everything that I know have to come to terms with. I widen my eyes, not in fear, but in the realization that I am far from being ready for a baby to look after. She or he would be here in seven months. Would that be enough time to get ready, both mentally and physically? My place wasn’t very child friendly as I looked around the place. I knew I’d have to buy something bigger and safer before the baby arrived.

Payton questioned me if I was going to keep it and in a second I knew that there was no way I could abort or separate myself from the baby that was growing inside of me for the past two months. Sure, I could go without the morning sickness and gaining weight, but I couldn’t imagine things going another way once I saw the stick read positive.

“I’m back,” Zack called out through the door and I looked up smiling at him waving a little

“Did you get rocky road or cookie dough ice cream?” Payton asks causing me to frown at her rudeness

“Better, I got you both kinds.” Zack says and a huge grin spreads across Payton’s face

“I like him, you should keep him.” She says to me before turning and grabbing the two flavors of ice cream and putting a bit of both in one bowl.

Zack brings me the kind I had asked for and I thank him graciously. He shrugged at me before bringing out another spoon and eating some of my ice cream. He and I move to the couch so he can sit down with me and enjoy the ice cream without eating it as he stands. He puts his arm around me and I rest my head on his shoulder. It was the spot I’d felt most comfortable in. He and I chatted about things as if I wasn’t even pregnant. It made me feel better knowing he didn’t hate me because Zack was starting to play a major role in my life as more time progressed.

Zack looked around her living room and could tell this was no place for a child, he also knew that there weren’t very many friendly places for children that were affordable for the income Emilee was making. He took another spoonful of the delicious birthday cake ice cream before deciding that at some point before the baby was born he’d offer for Emilee to move in with him. They could decide from there on if it stayed permanent or if it was until she could get on her feet properly. He knew being a single mom could be hard especially financially. He hoped the guy who she hooked up with wouldn’t be easily found because he knew Emilee would give him the chance to be a part of his child’s life as well as Emilee’s and Zack didn’t like that idea. Besides, what kind of guy goes home with a girl and doesn’t use a condom, an incredibly stupid one that doesn’t deserve to be in Emilee or her child’s life.

Emilee smiled as she began to doze off as her sister and friend made small talk with Zack. She liked knowing that they enjoyed each other. Payton was a difficult person to enjoy, but Zack seemed to click with her quickly. She yawned before shutting her eyes. She had endured a lot for one afternoon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe
--Lindsey Ann