Blossoming Fates

Prepping

I had arranged to talk later in the week with Brian. I knew that Michelle would be a big part of the baby’s life as well as Brian and I if she was going to settle down with Brian. He was coming by my place later tonight for some dinner and we were to talk about what the arrangements and such would pan out to be exactly. I was lying in bed when my phone buzzed with an alert of a new message. I reached over for the device and read that Michelle would be coming but she’d have to stop by later because she and Val had already made plans for something earlier in the day. I let him know that’d be fine and would have extra food made for her.

I looked at the time and read it was two thirty. I would probably begin the prep work for dinner around three or three thirty depending on the pregnancy symptoms. I was currently craving sweet and tangy orange chicken. I was going to add an Asian slaw with spicy ginger-peanut dressing for another side dish and probably some plain white rice to layer underneath the chicken. What I was preparing was one of my favorite meals and I had a feeling both Brian and Michelle would enjoy the meal I’d be making for their company.

I walked over to the fridge and see what we don’t have for the meal. I jot down a quick grocery list before grabbing my keys and walking out the door to my car and to the grocery store. I needed shredded coleslaw and grated carrots for sure. I already had peanuts and fresh cilantro that grew in my garden on the window sill. I bagged two red pepper, and scallions. All I needed was some garlic and ginger. The browsed down the remaining aisles trying to see if there were possibly anything else I would need. I remember that all I had in my fridge to drink was water, milk, and juice. I knew that Brian wouldn’t enjoy much of those unless it was mixed with alcohol, although I doubted he’d enjoy spiked milk.

“Did you find everything you were looking for?” The young cashier asks me and I nod my head smiling brightly at her.

The total was hardly forty dollars and I paid for the items before pushing the metallic cart out to where my car was parked. I placed all of the bags inside my car and by the time I got home I was ready to begin my prep work. I had wanted to make a good impression on both Brian and Michelle. I was thinking it’d be best seeing as we’d be seeing each other a lot even if Zack and I stop being friends. The idea of losing Zack crushes my mood causing me to frown. I take out the groceries and begin my work that was laid out ahead of me.

I chopped the two red pepper, cilantro, scallions, and peanuts as well as throwing the carrots, coleslaw, and edamame. Next thing I had to make the salad dressing which was going to be basically mixing all of my wet ingredients. I took honey, oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, salt, hot sauce, fresh ginger and minced garlic in a small bowl. Once everything was mixed I placed both dishes into the fridge to chill and stay well kept.

I heard a knock on the door while I was finishing the last of the chicken. I sighed and yelled for the person to hold on. I placed the chicken in the other pan to soak up the orange sauce I had been making. I walk over to the door and open it to reveal Brian. He was early, but that was fine because I was almost done anyways. I let him come in and was soon back to stirring the chicken in with the sweet and tangy sauce I had made for the night.

“It smells delicious,” Brian compliments me and I say thank you politely.

“You can sit down at the table or the bar.” I tell him before offering him a drink

“Do you have any alcohol?” He asks and I smile taking out the six pack of beer.

He seemed satisfied with what I had bought and sat upon the barstool. It felt weird seeing someone other than Zack sit up there. If I was ever in the kitchen doing something he’d sit there the entire time talking to me and laughing at me. He was here so much that we’d have dinner on more nights then less. I was becoming quite fond of Zack and truly hoped that nothing happened while he and I were getting so close. He had been here while the morning sickness pressed on and would always watch to make sure I didn’t push myself.

“So what’s up with you and Zack?” Brian asked after clearing his throat and taking a swig of his beer.

“I didn’t invite you over to talk about him,” I comment looking up at him

His brown eyes sparkled with unfamiliar look, “He’s been seeing someone.” He rudely says and the sparkle disappears.

“He’s my friend.” I state clear and look away

I knew the tears were burning behind my closed lids, but I wasn’t going to give him the benefit of seeing me hurt. He was trying to strike a nerve and he hit one. I took in a deep breath and took the chicken off the stove top and placed it on a serving plate. The plain white rice was already sitting in a simple dark blue bowl. I grabbed the coleslaw and dripped the dressing all over it before turning it. I set it on the table and grab myself a glass of water to enjoy with the meal. I informed Brian to let it cool a bit and that I would wash the dishes now.

Michelle came over when I was just about done with washing the dishes. She was much happier and more pleasant to see than her rude boyfriend. I don’t know what their relationship was like, but I felt like cheating was a ‘no-no’. I had to get to know them though. I was sure I’d enjoy Michelle being around my child, but I wasn’t too fond of Brian being the father.

“Well, let’s eat.” I say after drying my hands off and walking to the table.

Michelle took a small bite, “It taste wonderful, and I may have to steal this recipe.”

I smile widely at her telling her it’s simple and I tell her all the steps and ingredients. After about halfway through dinner I notice Brian has said a single word since the last words we spoke before dinner. He sat there eating the food and I could tell he liked it since he got himself seconds. I was happy and soon we were done with dinner. I cleared up the table and did the dishes before walking in the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe
this is just a filler but I figured that these moments are important too.
--Lindsey Ann