Blossoming Fates

Week Thirteen

I sat in the passenger seat as Brian drove to the doctor’s office. I explained the process that would most likely take place today and he seemed rather excited. I was nervous at first mainly because I had been afraid either Brian would bail on me or he would get angry with me over something and say this child wasn’t his. Although he’d gotten much better now and I was highly appreciative of that. He had brought me Mexican food one night for dinner because Zack told him it was my favorite food and it was his way of truly apologizing for his rude insults. I got along well with Brian, but it still wasn’t quite like Zack.

“So how long have you and Payton been friends?” I heard Brian ask after turning down his music.

“Oh, since about the sixth grade, I believe.” I reply trying to think back to when we had met.

“She’s a cool girl,” Brian says smiling widely.

“Look, Brian, I get the feeling you like her, I mean like her more than a friend, which is perfectly okay because she’s sweet and you two have great chemistry, but I just don’t get what’s wrong with Michelle.” I admit to him softly.

“Michelle and I are sort of on the terms of settling because neither of us has found ‘the one’.” He says chuckling whole heartedly.

I nod my head understanding exactly where he was coming from. I laugh at myself when I look back on the past and think about how I had believed that Anthony was the right guy for me. Now I was having a child with the best friend of the man I was finding myself falling for. Brian continues talking to me about me and trying to get us to know one another. I find myself lost in conversation with him as I tap my exposed thighs from my bright blue cut off shorts.

I chose to wear my grey slouchy sweatshirt as the windy air had kicked up today. It also covered my more defined belly too. My stomach wasn’t too big but it was showing rather nicely and I had only hoped that this was healthy because I was following my diet and such things. I intake a quick breath as another sharp pain hits me. The pain was coming from my abdomen and it scared me because I didn’t know if it was the baby or not. I would feel utterly terrible for not being able to protect my child already. Out of a need for reassurance I grab Brian’s hand and squeeze him gently before letting go and dropping out hands.

“Are you okay?” He asks worriedly as he places her firm hands on my small protruding belly

“I will be, yes.” I answer confidently not needing to frighten him too.

He and I both walk into the waiting room and check in with the receptionist before sitting down in two of the seats. There was a woman there round as ever and she smiled to herself as she flipped through her magazine. I looked over at Brian who was currently paying attention to his phone. I was hoping it was Payton because I liked how they both became around the other one. However, I frowned to myself when the name ‘Michelle’ appeared on the top of his conversation box.
My last name was called and Brian and I stood up walking to the door where the nurse stood. She was wearing light pink scrubs and her hair was in soft curls that tumbled down her back. She looked so much like Kylie I was taken back at first. Kylie would defiantly make an excellent nurse. I stand on the scale as my weight is taken and she informs me that I’ve gained three pounds. I smiled at the idea of having gained three pounds. She led me and Brian back into a room where I sat up on the bed and he stood next to me. He looked around the painted light blue walls before turning to the opening door and facing the doctor.

I introduce the two of them and she never falters which I was thankful for. She takes my blood sugar as well as my heart rate. She tells me I’m doing wonderful and I ask her quickly about the pains I’ve been feeling. She explains that their minor and aren’t anything serious towards the health of the baby either. She lays me back and begins a quick ultrasound for the baby’s heart beat which she lets Brian and me to hear. It’s beating so fast and I look over at Brian who is smiling wide down at me. She runs over a checklist of things I should know. Dr. Willows informs me that I should be eating healthy snacks, not to worry if I’m becoming forgetful, that I should keep active too. I smile at her as I rise up from my lying position and she gives me a small list of some vitamins I should start taking.

“Your baby is now about 6.7cm long from crown to rump and weighs nearly 23g, about the same as half a banana.” She says to both Brian and me.

“My little banana,” I say adoringly as I trace my small bump with my index finger

“Correction,” Brian interrupts, “Our little banana.” He says gently emphasizing the ‘our’ part in his sentence.

Brian and I were left alone to ourselves before we headed out. The appointment only lasted an hour and a half, almost two hours. Brian places his hands on the small of my back leading me out of the office and back into the parking lot to his car. He and I joke around and laugh as we talk about the baby. We both decided that for now we’d call the baby banana because we hadn’t decided on names or if we wanted to even know the sex of the baby right now.

“Hey, Brian, will you come with me when I tell my mom about Banana?” I ask him gently

“Of course I will,” He says laughing, “how about you, your mom, and I all go out to lunch to this nice café and we tell her together.” He suggests and I nod my head liking his idea.

“You’re truly amazing.” I compliment before we sit back and enjoy the music.

I was thankful for Brian being the type of guy I was hoping for and not what I had first experienced. I was worried that he may turn out to be a typical rock star, but he was quite the opposite. He was able to step aside from the stereotypes and was the man he had to be. I smiled as I traced my belly again knowing I’d have to start buying new clothes that would fit my new enveloping curves, but for right now I still did fit in things, and I could wear sweats while I lounged around. I knew Banana was going to have a goof life as soon as the baby did get here. This baby was someone I adored already.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe
--Lindsey Ann