Blossoming Fates

Untraditional

I heard a knock on the front and walked over to open it. When I pulled it open there stood a well-dressed Brian. He had on aviators and a pair of ripped up jeans with a simple grey V neck tee shirt on. I smiled before stepping aside and letting him come inside my apartment. He had walked into the living room allowing me to get the last of my outfit put together. I watched as he grabbed a Jordan almond and plop it into his mouth. I laugh gently before walking back into my bedroom where I needed to put on my juicy couture diamond studs and my simple white tennis shoes. I brushed my bangs to the left side again as the rest of my hair sat back in a braid that fell over my right shoulder. I spritzed some Victoria secret’s perfume and left the room.

“You look nice Em, I’m sure she’ll understand.” Brian said about my mother as we walk out of my apartment and into the heat of California.

“It’s just untraditional.” I mumble out to him and he quickly stood up coming over to hug me tightly

“I have something for you.” He says after he can tell I’m okay again.

I pull away from his embrace to look up at him puzzled. I hadn’t mentioned him needing to bring me anything and he hadn’t insisted on getting me something. He opens his car door and pulls out with him a velvet blue box with the word Tiffany embroidered on the top. I look back up at him as he now has a huge cheeky grin. I take the box from his hands hesitantly and open the box top to reveal a beautiful necklace. It was a puffed heart that hung from a long chain. I looked up at him completely dazed at this gift. I wrap my arms around Brian’s neck tightly hugging him and thanking him over and over.

Brian placed a gentle kiss on the top of Emilee’s head. She began to blush quite madly at the physical contact between the two individuals. There hadn’t been any since the night they had conceived the baby. She looked up at Brian and smiled widely before they both got into the car and began to head to the small café. I had to beg my mother to show up and was surprised when she caved quickly. We pulled up to the café and I can see my mother sitting by the window on the inside.

“Hey mom,” I call to her once me and Brian walk inside “This is Brian.” I introduce them two

“Hello Brian, I’m Sarah, it’s nice to finally meet you.” My mother gushes and I sit down facing my mother

“It’s truly all my pleasure.” Brian comments smoothing bringing his charm as he sits down next to me

A waitress named Lisa comes and takes our order. I get my favorite tomato bisque while Brian orders some sort of sandwich and my mother gets a salad. I wasn’t in the mood for soup on such a hot day in August, but truly once I read the summary of savoring chunk tomatoes with herbs I was sold for the soup. I nibbled on some crackers and Brian put a slice of buttered bread in his mouth causing me to laugh at my mother’s worried face. I took a sip of my sweet tea before my mother asked why I wanted to meet her here.

“Well, mom, me and Brian have something we both want to tell you and that we hope you at least try to understand.” I explain looking at Brian briefly

“Okay,” She says as another worried expression crosses her face, “I’ll try to understand. I don’t need to lose any more family.” She sighs

“Mom, I’m pregnant and Brian is the father.” I say in one breath and look down at the empty space in front of me.

My mother’s eyes widen at first and she takes a sip of her lemon water before she casts her eyes back upon Brian and me. I fiddle with my hands and I see that Brian doesn’t fidget or budge. He was truly trying to be the strong one here. I smiled lightly before finding the courage within myself that I can too face my mother.

“You’re pregnant,” She repeats as if thinking over the idea before smiling, “How far along are you?”

I let out a sigh of relief, “Almost fourteen weeks,”

“And the baby is doing great!” Brian exclaimed causing both me and my mother to laugh

“Although I’m not entirely pleased with you being pregnant in such a untraditional way, but I’m thrilled to be a grandmother and I can also tell that you will be a great mother. I can trust you’ll take excellent care of both the baby and my daughter, correct Brian?” She looks at Brian sternly

“Yes ma’am,” He says kindly

“But mom I would like you to be aware that Brian and I aren’t dating or planning on seeing each other anything more than friends.” I explain to her

She nods her head and continues along talking about all the wonderful baby stuff she’ll help me with. I was beginning to feel better with each passing week. I felt blessed by how much my mother understood and didn’t try to hurt either mine, or Brian’s feelings. She and Brian chatted more until the food got there. The talking simmered down, but regardless continued. She asked if I wanted to know the sex, or if I did already know. I shook my head as I sipped on my tea.

“I think both Brian and I want it to be a surprise, I mean, we’ll pick out names, but we’ll wait till the delivery day to know.” I said to her

“Well, we should plan you a baby shower soon.” She says to me and I can see the happy glint in her eyes

“Can it be some neutral color though? I don’t want it to be either pink or blue.” I said to her

Brian chuckles at me and says that the girls I had met at the pool would love to be a part of the party and what not. I was quick to think of sending out invitations that said the date. I was sure I’d invite the boys as well, because as far as I was concerned neither Brian nor I were the traditional type of people. We’d gotten pregnant out of wedlock and as of right now I liked this path of forgetting tradition and doing what makes me happiest. The conversation quickly switched through topics and I asked my mom of having a party for Kylie coming back home, but for me to be in charge of planning it. She obliged. And said I did know Kylie better than anyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe :)
How do you think Kylie's welcome home party will go? Better yet, what sex baby do you think Brian and Emilee should have?
--Lindsey Ann