Blossoming Fates

Coffee & Cookie

I walked into the small store happily as I breathed in the delicious aroma that engulfed me easily. The coffee made me a little bit more sober it felt like, but really I knew it was just the time passing that was allowing the alcohol to clear out of my system. My bluish green eyes carefully inspected my choices. The food would hopefully give me the energy needed in order to finish my shift before my day off tomorrow. I desperately needed my day off. I’d probably be back however to get more coffee when I visit the hospital. I knew there would be a time when I could no longer go there for this specific purpose and it pained me in every way imaginable. It made me suck in a breath and wonder how much longer I’d have to go there for. Would it be awhile or only few short days left? I knew I was in no shape to comprehend the goodbye.

The counter was cold as I placed my bare and exposed wrists upon it to place my order of a vanilla bean and some lemon bread slices with white chocolate chip cookies. The bread slices were mainly for Rachel and my mom, but I’d enjoy a bite or two from them myself. I loved making bread to bring it up to the hospital from time to time. Banana and lemon glazed bread really put a smile on her face. I waited patiently as they made my drink and handed me my food before sitting down at a nice window table. Thinking I may want to people watch instead I pulled out one of my books and began to read it. It wasn’t long however before I was sadly interrupted.

“Uncle Zacky! I want a cookie.” I watch as a small child tugs on an older man’s hand asking for the cookie, it was quite cute actually. “Please Uncle Zacky?” the young boy gave a sweet puppy dog face.

“Okay Gavin, I told you, you could have one, but you have to wait.” The older man said sweetly at the child’s eye level

I let out a soft giggle as the kid looked at the man like he was crazy for suggesting he wait for the cookie. The man turned to me and smiled a million dollar smile. I felt color rising to my cheeks, for not out of embarrassment, but out of my rudeness of eavesdropping. He comments on kids and how crazy they are. I politely inform him I wouldn’t know. The man was good looking as he came over introducing himself as Zach. He had breathtaking emerald eyes and black raven colored hair that was brushed up. I could see tattoos that ran down his arms and back up his neck slightly. Curiosity if he had any more tattoos ran through my mind. He also had lip piercings. The snake bites really completed his look. He was the guy I normally wasn’t attracted to, but he was something different. He was my exception because I believed I was attracted to him.

“I’m Emilee,” I kindly said completely closing my book now and extending my hand out to shake his.

“Lovely name,” He commented involuntarily causing me to smile “I'm Zach, do you work around here?” He asks still standing by the table trying to entertain the small boy long enough to have a conversation with me

“Yes, I work at the Museum of Art down the road some. It was break for me and I needed to get out of the hectic realm.” I said laughing at myself

He mentioned how he knew about working in a hectic realm for a living and I found his humor even more attracting than his appearance. The small child had been tugging at Zach’s hand wanting to go play guitar now and I found him adorable. I made sure with Zach before handing Gavin one of my white chocolate chip cookies. He was hesitant and timid like some little kids are but soon enough he was asking me a million questions about things. He wanted to see the art he kept repeating and I only smiled at his young enthusiasm towards the idea.

“Maybe Gavin, you and your uncle Zacky here could come by and see the art.” I suggested before looking up from Gavin to smile again at Zach

“Would you like that Gav?” Zach asked and Gavin nodded his head wildly.

“Well then it’s a date,” I said sweetly “You two can come by any time before after sixteenth of next month. We’re having a really big show that night.” I explained to him generously.

Gavin begun to ask about the guitar and some other uncles and I knew that this time with Zach was coming to an end. This unfamiliar feeling erupted in my stomach. I wasn’t sad that Zacky and I had to part ways, but more so anxious if I’d see him again. I also noticed that my break was almost over and I needed to be back at the museum quickly so my mother didn’t have a stroke due to my tardiness. That woman could be anal sometimes.

“I’ll see you around Emmi,” Zacky said before picking up Gavin and putting him on his shoulders.

“Yeah I was hoping so.” I smiled sweetly as I stood up from my seat and collected my things “Enjoy your time with Gavin and the guitars Zach.” I said

Zach smiled broadly at me as we began to walk towards the glass door. It sealed the hectic scene out from the little coffee shop. However, the sound seeped through the sealing as Zacky opened the door for me. We bid another share of goodbyes before I turned to walk back to the museum while Zach walked to a black SUV parked in the parking lot. There was a symbol of some sort on the back of his car. It was a skull with bat wings and it was very appealing to most general people to see something creative. I watched only for a second longer before turning my attention back towards my walking. I knew I would have to find out more about him and I had hoped that by going to Starbucks would be that meeting of events to come.

I smiled as I thought about the mysterious man. He had seemed so sweet and kind for having such a rough exterior. His exterior could easily intimidate another person but it drew me right in. He seemed like he had a lot to offer to an individual and I would appreciate a little bit of kindness. If anything else I knew me and Zack could become friends quite easily. He was very laid back and didn’t have such an overpowering cocky attitude that made him believe he could have any woman he wanted. He didn’t have that rock star mentality like others had. Beginning of hope formed inside of me as the thought of him coming to the museum pierced through me.

I wondered if he’d even actually come by and want to look at the pointless art anyways. He didn’t seem like he’d be too hot about the idea of looking at art per say. I could understand that, but I was still hoping out of sheer luck he came. I sighed knowing my hope would usually get me down, but I couldn’t even help myself at this point. The cooler air of the museum captivated my body causing me to pull down the sleeves of my light grey sweater before walking ahead to give mom and Rachel the bread. Today had been long enough for my liking and I wanted to go home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe :)
--Lindsey Ann