Blossoming Fates

Old Times

Payton sat before me fussing over her outfits she’d picked out for the evening and was trying to decide which would be best. I tried hiding my humor for the fear of her frustration would shortly morph into anger and attack for the jugular. I sat on the bed thinking back to how this reminded me of high school when we were getting ready for evenings out at either parties or going out on dates. There was always something that we wanted to get all dolled up for.

“You like the red dress or the jeans and cardigan?” She asks me for the millionth time.

“Where are you two going?” I ask her pondering which outfit.

“He said he was taking me out to dinner then later somewhere else,” She explained

“The red dress with the Betsey Johnson wedged cheetah print shoes.” I decide for her finally after an hour.

“You’re right,” She mumbled and I chuckle before she finishes off her last strand of loosely curled hair unplugging the curling iron.

I breathe out heavily smiling at my friend as I walk over giving her a short hug knowing she was nervous about tonight. For as long as I’ve known Payton she never gave anyone a second chance. She was always saying that if someone hurt you once they’ll do it again. I agreed with her, but I also knew that Brian would not fuck his second chance up with her. He was working hard at being with her. He even called me five times today asking me what was Payton’s favorite restaurant and flower and color and gem. I was exhausted between the two.

“Can you do my make up?” Payton asks me and I nod happily

“Smokey eyes,” I suggest and she begs me to do just that.

“How’s the baby?” She asks after a moment of silence.

“Perfect,” I murmur to her

I finish her makeup seeing that six fifteen has finally rolled around. She was going out at seven and I knew her nerves were damn close to making her grow on edge. I smiled over at her as she added a necklace and some earrings. She was looking forward to this night more so than anything else.

“I heard Zacky told you that Ashley was his first priority,” Payton finally tells me and I sigh knowing Zacky told Brian who then told Payton.

“He did,” I admit feeling embarrassed by the words Zacky used, “But I’m over it.”

“Brian explained that Zacky felt really stupid after leaving here last night.” Payton said probably breaking a promise of keeping quiet.

“Well he should, but I’m really over it because I can’t do it.” I say and Payton sighs

“He likes you a lot more than you choose to see Emilee. Zacky slipped and told Brian he loved you.” Payton said and my eyes grew wide with shock.

I didn’t know how to respond to that because how can he love me and be with another girl. I nod my head looking into the kitchen seeing the apple pie sitting on the table. I smiled knowing that Zacky would be an amazing boyfriend and even a great stepdad, but I wasn’t looking for a relationship with someone who is dependent upon someone else. I knew Gena was his girlfriend when his friend had passed and she’d witnessed some pretty dark times. Now Ashley was a rebound from Gena and his relationship.

I heard a knock on the door and suddenly a bad feeling struck me. Something awful was plaguing me and causing me to grow wearily. I tried pushing it aside thinking that it was nothing, but I wanted to stop Brian and Payton from going out tonight. It was just one of those feelings, but they had to go out and be together.

“Better take good care of Payton,” I say greeting Brian with a small hug and smile.

“Come on now, you know I plan on it.” He says rolling his eyes before looking over at Payton.

“You like it?” She asks him giggling and I roll my eyes making fun of the two lovebirds.

“You look stunning,” Brian murmurs before walking to her and lacing their fingers together.

Brian kisses Payton gently before turning back and thanking me for helping him. I shake my head saying it was no problem and it really wasn’t because I liked them together. They were too cute, but my feeling was still pestering me and I didn’t want them to leave yet. I wanted to delay them but they walked out of my home turning and waving goodbye before climbing into the car and driving away.