Blossoming Fates

Push

I was lying on a hospital bed with my legs in sternums as a sheet covered the lower half of my body. I breathed in and out trying to remember what I had learned in birthing classes and videos. Zacky even did it with me which made me feel like I wasn’t going through everything alone.

“Well Emilee, you’re only six centimeters dilated and we need you at ten,” The doctor informed me and I nodded my head.

“How much longer?” I ask wanting to be able to start pushing.

“It depends on your body dear, but I’d say in another half hour we can have that baby out.” The doctor smiles at me checking my stats and charts.

“Her contractions are about a minute apart.” A nurse informs the doctor who jots something down before nodding and leaving.

Zacky sat on a stool next to my head brushing hair out of my face. I tried forcing a weak smile at him and he leaned down pressing his plump lips to mine. I hadn’t expected anything like that as I lay down going into labor. The kiss was quick but longing and gentle. I knew what Payton had told me yesterday about his feelings must’ve been true. I smiled before another contraction hit me.

“Don’t let anyone up here.” I tell Zacky sternly.

“I promise Emilee.” He says holding my hand lacing our fingers together.

Twenty minutes had passed and my contractions were only five seconds apart from one another. The same doctor from earlier walked back into the room placing in some latex gloves while three nurses stood around him. The doctor took his seat on the metal stool at the foot of the hospital bed I was lying in. He had instructed me to push but suddenly fear struck me and I realized that this baby couldn’t come yet.

“Zacky, Brian isn’t here. The baby can’t come yet.” I mumble to him

“Emilee it’s going to be okay,” He murmurs kissing me again.

“I can’t do this on my own Zee,” tears began to stream down my face.
“You won’t have to sweetie.” Zacky reassures me lacing our hands again and wiping my stray tears away.

My forehead was covered in sweat as my hair was pulled back into a blue cap. My hand tightened around Zacky’s who had yet to leave my side. I had spent nearly a half hour refusing to push until Zacky told me I had to before I lost the baby. I was screaming in pain trying to push the baby out. It was too late for any drugs and the doctor and nurses were trying to make the process speed up, but there were some complications. I was hardly eight months pregnant. The baby’s lungs weren’t developed yet. Another scream seeped from my lips as I pushed harder. My fears were causing a lot of stress on me and the baby and I needed to calm down before one of us was hurt.

“Zacky I can’t do this,” I rest my head back ignoring the doctor’s protests, I was completely drained.

Zacky runs his hands through my hair pulling the cap off, “Come on baby, you can do this,” He places his lips on my forehead again

“She won’t make it,” I say petrified of losing this baby, Brian, and Payton all together in one night.

“You won’t lose her Emilee, and you won’t lose me either. I’m still here, so do this for me.” Zacky says and I nod my head.

I push two more times before I could hear the doctor announce that the baby was crowning. I made another small prayer hoping she cried once she was outside of me. I knew that this was due to me becoming stressed out and I felt at fault for any complications with her under developments. I pushed again and heard the doctor inform me that the baby was a girl, but I hadn’t heard a cry yet.

My heart rate accelerated and fear struck me as nurses rushed over to where my baby was being worked on. Zacky kissed me again on my cheek this time smiling down at me as tears pricked at my eyes. The air was growing heavy with remorse as seconds passed as there was no cry. Finally though there was a tiny wail and I at least knew that there was some fight in her.

“She is beautiful” The doctor says before handing her off to another nurse.

“They need a name Emilee,” Zacky tells me smiling again.

“Sophia Morgan Haner is her name.” I tell them and I watch them type things up before everything settled down.