Blossoming Fates

December Eleventh

I had a white bracelet around my wrist wearing sweatpants that my sisters had brought me from my home along with a large band tee shirt. My hair was pulled back into a bun while I stared down at the clear incubator where my baby girl laid sleeping. She had wires and needles sticking into her frail body making me frown. She was so little inside this large tube protecting her from harm. She was born at exactly two fifteen December eleventh. She and Zacky shared a day together for their birthday.

“She’s truly is beautiful,” I turn to see Zacky walking towards me wearing a pink colored gown identical to mine

“I think she looks like Brian,” I mumble looking back down at the sleeping baby.

“Well yeah for now, but I’m sure she’ll be sweet like her mother and a complete knock out.” Zacky says wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“She’s been such a fighter,” I admit smiling at Sophia.

I took in a deep breath trying to calm my nerves as to what was happening all around me. Not only was it Zacky’s birthday and he was turning thirty, but Brian was still in intensive care and I hadn’t had the courage to check in on Payton. Last I checked at four this morning she was unresponsive. It was now seven and I had slept for maybe an hour after have asking for Payton and Brian and giving birth to Sophia.

Zacky refused to leave my side no matter how tired he looked. He’d sent Ashley home while I was sleeping. I rested my head on his shoulder appreciative that he had yet to leave my side. He even went out and bought me some food at six this morning. I would be discharged tomorrow, but until then I was supposed to be bed bound however, Zacky kidnapped me from my room in a wheelchair until he left to get me something to drink. He handed me the Styrofoam cup filled with tea.

“Are you going to see Brian or Payton?” Zacky asks me looking towards me

“I guess I can go see him after I’m done here.” I say shrugging

“It’ll all be okay,” Zacky says before giving me a small smile and kissing my temple.

We had yet to discuss the kiss we shared inside the delivery room. I couldn’t get it out of my head even the longer the time passed. His plump lips could be felt still against my lips in a loving and gently kiss. I had never experience anything like it before and it filled my chest up with happiness.

“I’m going to go check in on Bri and Payton, will you be okay here alone?” He asks me worried.

“I’m in a hospital I think I’ll be fine.” I admit chuckling and he nods his head.

“I’ll be back in a half hour Emilee,” Zacky informs me before placing his lips on mine.

The kiss was short lived before he pulled away and walking out of the nursery where the premature babies lie silently asleep in there incubators. Sophia wore a pink hat and mittens making a smile spread across my face regardless of the gender color. She was truly gorgeous. I could see Brian in her more so than myself, but it didn’t matter because she was perfect anyways.

“I can’t wait for daddy to meet you,” I whisper to the infant, “He’s going to love you just as much as I do.”

I push my hands into the arm holes so I could brush my gloved fingers against her soft flesh. Brian really would think she hung the moon. The doctors promised me that Sophia had a high chance of making it through her duration at the hospital as long as no infections took place inside her small body. I stared down at her until I felt like I needed to head out of this room.

“Mommy will be back soon, Sophia,” I promise the baby before climbing into the wheelchair and asking one of the nurses to push me to Brian’s room.

I closed my eyes making a silent prayer for Brian as I sat outside his room. The black numbers reading two hundred thirty six plastered against the closed door taunt me. Finally I twist the silver knob and wheel myself into the room. I climb out from the chair walking down the short hallway before coming to face Brian’s sitting figure. His coffee colored orbs groggily opened and a crooked smile shone brightly.

“Brian,” I shout happily running towards him wrapping my arms around him gently and hugging him.

“The baby,” Brian asks me worriedly suddenly and Zacky walks in right afterwards.

“Sophia is perfectly healthy, except she is premature.” I admit and he frowns

“She’s such a fighter man,” Zacky muses smiling at his friend who looks proud.

“I can’t wait to see her.” Brian says smiling at us before he lies back down against the bed,

“Happy birthday Zee.” Brian congratulates quietly before sleeping.