Blossoming Fates

Regression

I opened the door leading to Payton’s bed where she’d been lying since the night of the accident. Brian had been released and Sophia was close to being out since she had fully developed lungs. Brian may have been released but he spent every day here with Payton. I understood that this was how he dealt with his guilt over what was happening to Payton, but he did have a daughter here with us.

I frowned seeing Brian sitting beside Payton grasping her hand like she held him to this world. The doctors didn’t know if she would ever wake up from her coma. Sometimes these things happened, but she wasn’t brain dead and that made us all hold onto hope. His eye flickered from Payton to me before going back to look at Payton. He was waiting for her to open her eyes again but no one knew when that may happen.

“You really need to get out,” I mumble afraid to upset him another time.

“Mind your own business, Emilee,” He snaps harshly.

“You have a child now who does need you. Your daughter, Sophia, she’s awake and needs a daddy.” I reply hastily wanting to make a point.

“She has you and Zacky both,” Brian comments glaring at me, “Why would she need me?”

“You better not do this again you stupid ass,” I sternly warn him and he looks smug.

“Do what; finally admit that Sophia may still not be mine.” He says instantly regretting it.

I sigh setting the flowers down on the table next to Payton rolling my eyes at Brian. I would ignore his comments for only so long because he was hurting. In the crash Brian had injured his hand. His right hand has severe nerve damage and can’t play his guitar like I know he would love to. He was still walking with a crutch since he’d also hurt his leg due to it being crushed underneath the metal of the car.

Payton had gotten the worse of the crash even if Brian had swerved to lessen the blow. She had glass pierce her and her brain had also swelled tremendously while inside surgery. They recovered and she was capable of taking care of herself, but she had yet to open her eyes or even make a single sound. It crushed me every day knowing that even though they weren’t dead they might as well be since neither of them lived anyways. Brian and Payton merely existed.

“I’m leaving with Sophia today at five,” I inform Brian

“Okay,” Brian whispers and I roll me eyes again at his state.

I turn back looking at him, “She was my best friend Brian. She was the girl I grew up with. She defended me when kids were cruel in school and we spent every weekend at one another’s home. She may have been your girlfriend, but she was always my best friend.” I state simply before leaving the room.

Some familiar faces greeted me since I’d become used to living inside these walls basically. I shifted between seeing Sophia and Payton although usually Brian and I tended to fight each time I visited Payton. Everyone fought with Brian now and he didn’t care who he really hurt at the moment because he was hurting but soon I was going to give him a piece of my mind regardless of everyone’s protests. Payton would want me to put him back into his place.

I rode the elevator down towards the floor where the nursery was. I had finally seen Sophia’s eyes and it was shocking to say the least. She had two different colored eyes. Her left eye was brown while her right eye was a lighter shade of green than my own eyes. I loved how she was already different from other children. I smiled seeing Zacky was holding her in his arms as he sat in the rocking chair that was beside her small bed.

“How’s my pretty baby?” I coo bending down placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“She’s being such an angel,” Zacky comments passing her to me, “just like her mommy already.”

I smile up at him weakly, “Apparently that’s all she has is her mommy.”

“You and Brian fight again?” Zacky asks me and the tears swell up in my eyes.

“He told me she wasn’t his again.” I admit shrugging and smiling down at Sophia as she opened her gorgeous eyes.

Brian refused to see Sophia. She’d been here for a month and he didn’t want anything to do with her yet. Payton would be furious if she were around physically. I was trying to be considerate to his emotional state, but he had to be a father no matter what happened to Payton. Sophia needed him too. I sighed before rocking her back to sleep and placing her back down into the incubator amongst the healthier babies. I was so happy to be taking her home finally.

“Want to go get some lunch?” Zacky asks kissing my temple.

“I need to,” I admit and wrap my arm around his waist while his arm draped across my shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment and Subscribe :)
Will Brian show up when Emilee leaves? Will Payton wake up? Will Emilee and Zacky get together?
--Lindsey Ann