Blossoming Fates

Five O'clock

My nails tapped the table top as my foot bounces up and down as I sit at the table downstairs in the cafeteria. Zacky could see my irritation oozing from my body. I could not believe Brian was being so selfish and childish. He had to grow up now because his daughter needed him to be around. Zacky wasn’t Sophia’s father and I couldn’t keep Zacky around for my child’s sake either. I was being selfish with Zacky because he had a girlfriend back home.

I stood with a sleeping Sophia inside the carrier as the nurses explained all the information with Sophia. I knew that I’d have to watch her like a hawk making sure she stayed healthy and not get underweight. I really hadn’t expected Brian to ignore Sophia the way he had thus far. Zacky had gone home an hour earlier when I made him go home. I really hadn’t needed him much longer, but I as dreading sending him home when I was enjoying his company.

The nurse’s eyes trailed behind me and she offered a small smile before locking eyes with me again but had refrained from talking. I turned to see Brian limping into the nursery using his crutch since the crash had done some damage to his knee and shin he had surgery on them to restore the nerves. A huge grin plastered itself across my face as I watched him struggle his way towards me.

“You came finally,” I mumble when he is close enough.

“I’m sorry I’ve been such a lousy friend and an even worse father.” Brian apologizes

“Well, this is Sophia, your daughter.” I introduce Brian

“She is so beautiful.” Brian murmurs as he looks down at the sleeping baby.

We both stare down at Sophia who opens her eyes looking up at Brian and me with a soft smile I guess you could call it. Brian looked at me puzzled upon seeing her eyes colors. I told him that they think it’ll stay that way. Brian smiles again worry leaving his face which I was grateful for because he had worried enough about Payton blaming himself. He didn’t need to worry about Sophia too since she was pretty much through the storm. He’d missed the sleepless nights over an incubator, but I didn’t face them alone. I had my best friend Zacky with me and my baby girl made it through the battle.

I just hoped Payton followed suit and pulled through for Brian. I could tell he really loved her and it was tearing him apart to watch her lifeless body hooked up to machines. No one deserved to watch their loved one lie in their deathbed.

“Are you ready to take her home?” Brian asks me smiling weakly at me not knowing what home was to the little girl.

“I am ready to go and I think Sophia is too, what about you?” I ask him unsure of what he wanted to do.

“Payton wouldn’t like knowing I was missing out on everything with Sophia.” He says nodding his head and caressing Sophia’s small cheek.

“Sophia and I would like company at my house for a while if you’re interested in staying there.” I admit biting my lip and he smiles.

Brian’s home was filled with memories of Payton laughing and being with him. He shouldn’t be reminded of that pain daily. I knew he’d be up here at least once a day to see her, but a home full of happiness of a new beginning is better than a broken home filled of a happy past. He nods his head and we begin to shuffle out of the nursery and towards the exit of the hospital. I couldn’t wait to get Sophia home. It had to of been terrible with all those needles stabbing her.
I ran my hand over her brown thin hair that covered some of her head before pushing her beanie on trying to keep her warm from the chilly evening of January. She fussed a bit before being hummed back to sleep where I buckled her into the back seat of the car. Brian got in next to her buckling himself up before letting me know he would keep excellent care of her as I drove us home.

Brian needed care too because he had suffered injuries in the crash too. Some I prayed he overcame because if he lost Payton and his ability to play the guitar, the Brian I met and came to like would forever be gone. Sophia wouldn’t have father if he lost those things.

“She’s such a good baby already.” He admits from behind me as I drive along the road at a slow speed.

“She’s been such a fighter Bri, you would’ve been proud of her.” I tell him looking in the rearview mirror seeing him smiling down at the baby.

“I already was proud of her.” He states like it was obvious.

Brian helped me carry everything inside before sitting on the couch as I insisted he prop his leg up and rest some while I got Sophia situated in her crib upstairs to nap awhile longer. She deserved a break too from all the chaos in the hospital. Having surgeries performed on her frail body and tubes being shoved inside her she needed some rest finally. She was a fighter just like her daddy.