A Roller Coaster Built To Crash

Chapter Nine

A Rollercoaster Built To Crash
the end of certainty;;

I didn’t go to Hudson Park that night.

It disgusts me that I had been stepping out my apartment door and on my way to the park a quarter to twelve before I was intercepted. Eliza, my neighbor and fellow drinking buddy at any party we were both invited to, had been stepping out as well for the night before catching me. Immediantly she began asking me what I had planned for the night. I lied and told her I was just going out for some coffee but she tagged along anyways, ranting all the way to the nearest coffee shop that was still open about how she had been stood up the other night by Ray, who she’d been after for months.

“I rang you two days ago. Dylan called and told me about a party that was going on downtown—you missed it.” Dylan was Eliza’s best friend, who she shared special privlages with that made even my skin crawl. “You definitely missed out on some party.”

“Yeah?” I asked. Slowly, I began to feel relief lap over me as I felt myself returning to the normal life I kept up. There wasn’t going to be any execution anytime soon, I thought with a humorous laugh.

“Fuck yes! I’m still full! Didn’t you watch the news at all?” she asked almost astounded my ear wasn’t pressed to the ground like her’s.

“I try not to,” I said as we entered the little café and enjoying the small warmth the inside heater gave.

“Well, the cops sure found a pretty crime scene. And the slayers went pycho as usual, I think about two or three of them were thrown in a mental hospital by their families when they started ranting about a werewolf massacre,” Eliza chuckled and began reading the selections the café had to offer.

I couldn’t help laughing with her. Slayers were borderline insane. Most of them were obsessed mortals that actually had a clue about the two races and their continous war. Most of them probably had some tramatic experience; maybe their brother was murdered on a full moon, or maybe their sister had been found drained of all body fluids with two little teeth marks left as the only clue. It was humorous to watch their feeble attempts to destroy us—though some did actually manage to pick off a few. I particularly couldn’t stand them ever since I had a run in, leaving me with a scar across my shoulder from one of their stakes that cut me pretty deep.

“Liza, please tell me you guys didn’t raid a club during full moon,” I sighed before looking over to the woman who was behind the register. I ordered my plain coffee and Eliza ordered an iced frappaccino while smiling mischeviously. As we walked from the register I flopped myself down at a table near the window and shook my head at Eliza who was trying not to laugh.

“Aw, come on Ches! I don’t see why you confide yourself to that depressing-as-hell forest when you could be out having fun with a pretty meal on the side for later,” Eliza protested.

“It’s stressful enough when I have peace and solitude. I don’t need strobe lights blinding me and some confused guy grinding against me while I change—you know I’m not good with crowded places as it is,” I exclaimed and looked up at the moon that was peeking out from a few clouds that blocked it’s light. Eliza followed my gave and sighed as she stared up at the decreasing moon as well, we both we left in silence as we looked up at what ran our daily lives every month.

“Here you go ladies.” The waitress’ voice pulled us from our moment as she set up our drinks in front of us. “Will that be all for you girls tonight?” she asked with a tired smile, probably counting down the minutes she had left before she could go home.

“No, thank you,” Eliza said and began stirring her iced drink with her straw. After the waitress left, I reached over for the cremers that were placed all in a neatly arranged row along with sweet & low sugars. While pouring my third mini cremer iin my coffee, I turned my head back up as Eliza scoffed.

“I don’t why you even order black coffee if you’re just gunna put all that shit in it,” she chuckled. “Is it even coffee anymore?”

“It tastes good. That’s all that matters,” I said while shaking two packets of sweet & lows in my hand before ripping open to the top to sprinkle the contents in my now beige colored drink.

“What’s been up with you lately?” Eliza finally asked after another long pause on our conversation. I just shrugged.

“You haven’t been going out as much anymore. Ray says he hasn’t seen you around in weeks. And now you just don’t seem interested in anything anymore,” she listed off in a tone I wasn’t sure was concern or suspicion. This ruffled me for a moment, my body tensed up as paranoia crawled up my spine and sent waves through me before I calmed myself down. She couldn’t know. It was just her worrying about me being distant was all.

“I don’t know Liz. Getting drunk with groups of half-human muts just doesn’t appeal to me that much anymore,” I muttered. There was a long pause before I looked up to see Eliza looking down at me with a hurt expression. I mentally kicked myself. Getting drunk and partying with fellow werewolves that prided themselves was practically Eliza’s daily routine.

“Liz…”

“It’s fine,” she said quietly as she pulled her purse onto her lap. Watching her pull out her king-sized wallet made me groan silently while she pulled out a five dollar bill and toss it on the counter to cover for the drink I had paid for.

“Eliza, you know I didn’t-“

“It’s fine Chesirae. I don’t know what you’re going through, but when you stop taking it out on every werewolf who likes to enjoy their life instead of mopping around for eternity, you know where to find me.” And with that, Eliza excused herself and walked out of the café with just the door’s little bell to announce her exit.

My anger was bubbling and I had to restrain myself from kicking her unfinished frappaccino to the floor. It bit at me to know I didn’t have any true friends here in this god forsaken town. The only friend I had lived cities away and was forbidden for me to even assosiate with. I rubbed wearily at my temples and finished my coffee quickly before pulling out my chair and stalking out of the café leaving Eliza’s money on the counter as a reasonable tip.

The night’s cold air hit my face the second I stepped out of the heated building. My hands wrapped around my arms as I looked up at the moon again. It was almost completely covered, leaving Earth in shroaded darkness and every sinful beast purring in the natural black. A part of me settled and my eyes closed in content as I soaked up the dark for a moment. It was all disgusting how real and natural it felt to feel pleasured by the moon’s shadow. I felt cold for enjoying the moment of darkness and the dead silence around me.

And I wondered if Gerard was sitting at the West Hudson Park, alone, and enjoying this same momentary darkness.