Status: Started

Found THE Boy

Two

Everyone congregated outside the church, waiting for the happy couple to make their exit. Finley had found the guy again and left Max with everyone else.

Max watched as the guy let her go to James who took her in his arms and kissed her head as she leaned against his chest. Max just stared, wondering what he was watching.

Everyone was just catching up and taking photos when Max snuck away from the group. He walked to his rental car and leaned against it, just for a moment to think about things.

The last time he had seen Finley they had been out with all of their friends. The two left before most people and she ended up going to his house, like she had many times before.
He turned to her once they were in the house with a smile on his face. The two had been drinking, but he remained fairly sober and so had she. That was the night he was bound to tell her what he felt, what he had wanted to tell her for at least a year now.

Finley walked ahead of him into the kitchen to get some water. When she turned to him, he was across the room, holding out his hand, “Bed?”

“Bed,” she nodded.

She gave him her hand and he led her to the staircase. Before getting halfway up them he turned to her, “If I don’t sign with the Penguins…”

“You will,” she sounded confident.

“I want to tell you something,” he stepped down a stair so that he was just above her.

“What?” she giggled a little.

He kissed her softly and without pressure so she could back away if she wanted, but she didn’t. He brought his hand up to her face and cupped it, opening his mouth slowly.

Two minutes later, they were in his bedroom, half naked. He sat on the bed, staring at her as she wiggled out of her tight, little skirt. He didn’t help because he was getting even more turned on seeing her hips wiggle and the view of her bending over so that he could see down her tank top.

When her skirt hit the ground he opened his arms for her. Finley walked into his reach and he sighed at the feeling of holding her body in a way that he had only dreamed about.

Max pulled her onto his lap and his arms went around her back, one stayed at her lower back and one up her tank top, “I’ve wanted this for so long,” he looked into her eyes.

Finley didn’t answer him, she just kissed him. She knew how he was, he was Max Talbot, ladies’ man extraordinaire, and he just wanted the sex, nothing more. She wanted more, at least at the time she did, but she figured if she just had this one night that the feelings would get out of her system.

“Ma belle,” he whispered in her ear, “You’re so beautiful,” his hand that was on her neck moved up and turned her head so that he could see her face, “Do you know that? Do you know how long I’ve dreamed of this?”

She just shook her head as his lips pressed against her nose, “So long ma coccinelle, so long,” (Ladybug) he whispered the nickname that he had given her years ago, the one that made her giggle lightly most of the time.

He could see her blue eyes staring at him, waiting for him to say something more, and he wanted to. He knew that if he didn’t say anything to her he was going to kick himself, especially if he didn’t sign with the Pens again. He knew that was a huge possibility and he didn’t want to risk it. But at the same time, the fear of telling someone so perfect that a man like him loved her silenced him. Instead of opening up to her, like he knew he should, he just kissed her.

Finley wrapped her arms around his back and let him take over slowly and passionately. She knew that slow was not usually Max’s desired speed, but it was the speed he apparently intended on taking that night.

She giggled into his ear, “I don’t think I can move.”

He smiled proudly because he knew he was good in bed, damn good at that, and the fact that he had been aching to let her know just how good he was and evidently did made him cocky as hell.

As he lied with his arm around her back and his other over his chest, holding her hand, he thought about the time they just shared together. He brought her hand up to his lips, kissing the tip of each finger, “Finn.”

“Hmm?” she was sleepy now.

“I love you,” he moved his arm from behind her and leaned on his elbow to see her face.

She said nothing, just smiled a lazy, happy smile, which told him she liked his words.

The next morning he woke up and she was gone. Normally Finley would stick around, but normally they wouldn’t have an intimate moment either.

They only talked once after that and it was through a text message conversation. He left for home a week and a half later, she left for a vacation three weeks later, and after a month Max was a Flyer.


“Maxime?” he heard her voice.

He was glad his sunglasses were on, preventing her from seeing that he was near tears. He held out his arms and she rushed into them, “Why are you over here alone?” she asked.

“I needed to think,” he chocked.

“Why are you crying?” she pulled away and lifted his sunglasses from his face.

He shook his head and smiled, “I was thinking about you.”

Finley blushed and looked back at their friends, “Everyone’s about to go to the reception.”

“Everyone but us,” he put his hand around her wrist, “We need to talk.”

“It’s Jordan and Heather’s day, can’t it wait?” she was avoiding it.

“No,” he shook his head again.

People began piling into their cars and heading to the reception hall. James, Sidney, and that guy came over to ask if she was ready but Max gave them a nod, “I’ll give her a ride.”

Sidney smiled and nodded, but James looked at Finn, “I’ll see you there?”

“Yeah,” she touched his arm and smiled at the other guy.

He looked at her one more time before getting into the rental car with Sidney. Max had his glasses back on so he could glare at the guy he didn’t know.

“Stop staring at him like that,” Finley hit his arm.

“How did…”

“I know you Maxime,” she smiled.

He stepped away from the car and put his hands on her hips, “What’s going on with you and that guy?”

“He and I are,” she paused, “We’re complicated.”

“How so?”

Finley looked away, “He’s hurt me, a lot.”

“Then why are you with him?”

Her hand went to her eye, wiping a tear away, “I don’t know,” she shook her head.

“What has he done to you?”

“Lied, cheated, take your pick,” she shook her head.

He finally sighed and looked her in the eye, “Why didn’t we talk?”

“You could have started the conversation.”

“You could have too,” he countered.

“I was just another girl Max, I know that and I am okay with it.”

He pushed his sunglasses on top of his head, “Does it look like I am? Honestly Finn, does it look like I’m okay with that?”

“You have a reputation you know? I figured I was just a part of your legacy and I didn’t think…”

“That’s just it,” he cut her off, “You didn’t think Finn. You would have if you had talked to
me, if you had stayed the next morning. I would have told you everything.”

“You said those things because of the situation Max.”

“Psh,” he huffed, “No Finn, you don’t know me, you just think you do.”

“You left me. This could have all been different if you had just said goodbye.”

Max’s stomach churned with disgust when she looked at him with pain in her eyes. He should have tried talking to her more or at least said goodbye. She wasn’t just in pain because of this douche bag, she was in pain because he had let her down.

“How long have you been seeing this guy?” Max asked.

“Since December.”

“How often has he hurt you?” he wasn’t sure he wanted an answer.

“Over and over again,” Finley looked at her hands, “Two months into the relationship he found out about you. He was self-conscious and got mad. He cheated on me a few days later.”

“Self-conscious?” Max asked.

“He wasn’t an athlete, just a regular guy. He knew he didn’t have the body or the stamina you do, and he knew I compared you two. I spent the next month trying to make it up to him because he made me feel like I was the bad person.”

He wanted to jump up and down when she said that she compared him and that guy. It gave him a lot of pride that she had kept the memory of that night in her mind and thought about it once in a while.

“You’re better than that.”

“He cheated in February or March. He slept with one of my friends; then he blamed me for being dumb enough to introduce him to my ‘hot friends.’”

Max stared at her, “Seriously Finn? You let him…”

She cut him off, “Finally, in April I told him I couldn’t do it anymore and got out of it,” she looked down, “He apologized and promised he’d never make me feel bad again in March. A week later I went to his place and he was in bed with some other girl.”

“You’re so much smarter than that. Why the fuck is he here?”

“I don’t know,” she began to cry.

Max pulled her into his chest and kissed her head, “I’m going to make this right,” he whispered, “We’re going to the reception and you’re ending it with him, you’re done.”

“Not on Jordan and Heather’s day,” she shook her head in protest.

“Yes. There won’t be a scene, you just need to end this.”

Max helped her into the car and sped to the reception hall. Sidney and James were standing outside just talking with people, “Where’s Nick?” Finley asked the guys.